• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I need boots or new feet.

Mschmeiske

SH Member
For some reason, it’s hard for my to find a good pair of boots. Either the arch in them seems to be too much or my outside ankle bone seems to rub. I’ve never had an issue with rubber boots, but I’m sick of wearing them… 95 percent of the time they aren’t needed for where I hunt.

Any remedies or recommendations? Also, where’s that dang boot thread so I can read it again haha.

Have you tried different inserts? I find they can dramatically change the way a boot feels.
Have you spent some time at store trying different ones on? Bring socks you plan to use to hunt with, and maybe a different arch support of two. Also give your self plenty of time to evaluate them. Don't be afraid to try on a higher cut boot and see if that extra support up the leg helps with the ankle bone. There are heel lifts that can just change where that heel sits.
If you have some boots, maybe start with just some different inserts, and or different socks.

For some reason, it’s hard for my to find a good pair of boots. Either the arch in them seems to be too much or my outside ankle bone seems to rub. I’ve never had an issue with rubber boots, but I’m sick of wearing them… 95 percent of the time they aren’t needed for where I hunt.

Any remedies or recommendations? Also, where’s that dang boot thread so I can read it again haha.
Wolverine loggers. They are comfortable with minimal breaking in. They also have steel shanks so if you lean off the back of your platform, or use a ROS they really help keep your feet from fatiguing

I haven’t messed with inserts too awful much. I was actually just sitting here wondering if the arch is only in the insert, or built into the shape of some boots. I’ve always worn relatively flat fitting/feeling shoes. I’ll look into the heel lift too! Thanks man.

I wouldn't want you to buy something and have them still not work for ya but I wear flat soled shoes a lot and find Danner boots work great for me. I used to wear Danner Pronghorns but found Danner Vitals for cheaper and they feel like wearing a tennis shoe. Cabelas/Basspro has them on sale for $99. If you did buy a pair, and we're similar sizes, I'd probably buy them off of ya if they didn't work out!
On the ankle bone rubbing issue, mine rub too so I just skip those one or two eyelets inline with the bone when lacing up the boots and it'll allow for a little gap when walking between your ankle and boot.

Last edited:
I purchased some Danner Vicious from Cabela's. I was going to use them for work, but found them to squishy. (Kinda tennis shoe feeling). I like the hard soles for work. So used them turkey hunting, and was pretty happy with them comfort wise. They didn't feel great. But I walked like 3 miles that day, and feet didn't hurt, and no blisters. Some more break in time might help. But you might like something with that soft inside for your ankle bone. I got them from Cabela's. So you might be able to find them to try. So kinda X2 on checking out some danners.

I had a pair of danners years ago that I liked and when it came time to buy a new pair, I got the vitals, but they were rubbing my ankle so I got rid of them. Maybe I’ll see if I can find another pair and do the lace thing mentioned or try a different insole? I had bought some vivo barefoot fg’s for scouting and I loved them so much I was going to wear them as long as possible with booties to help keep my feet warm, but after a month, the sole was separating from the leather….. for $240 bucks I had to send them back for a refund….. idk if I got a dud, but I’m not sure I want to try it again.

I wear the Maine Hunting Shoe. Good blend of rubber and leather. If I’m walking through swamp I’ll wear knee high rubber but 90% of the time I’m in my llBeans

No two people will wear the same boot the same way. Lot of people like Danners I don’t. Comfortable but quality sucks. From snake boots to work boots nothing lasted and leaked from day one. Llbean used to have a great boot in the kangaroo featherweight. Changed the toe box and liner. Quality suffered no good no more. I water boots 7 days a week ever week at work or home or out on the town. Boots normally don’t hold up to that for long. The longest lasting boots I’ve had are the Thurogood Flyways I’m wearing now. They took forever to break in but are wearing like iron. Year and half still going strong. American made too. Boots are one of the things I will spend untold amounts of money on to get what feels good. When your feet hurt your whole body hurts. So don’t skimp.

No two people will wear the same boot the same way. Lot of people like Danners I don’t. Comfortable but quality sucks. From snake boots to work boots nothing lasted and leaked from day one. Llbean used to have a great boot in the kangaroo featherweight. Changed the toe box and liner. Quality suffered no good no more. I water boots 7 days a week ever week at work or home or out on the town. Boots normally don’t hold up to that for long. The longest lasting boots I’ve had are the Thurogood Flyways I’m wearing now. They took forever to break in but are wearing like iron. Year and half still going strong. American made too. Boots are one of the things I will spend untold amounts of money on to get what feels good. When your feet hurt your whole body hurts. So don’t skimp.

That’s the truth! Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in the market for new boots as well. I've looked at several brands including Zamberlan, Lowa, Keen, and a few others but I cannot make a decision. I'm curious what boots others are wearing while saddle hunting.

Meindl. The Germans know a little bit about mountains. Their comfort fit hunter and hiker has a wide toe box and a really cool ankle support system. I wear a 14W and they are awesome. I have straight up heinous Michael Jordan post game seven feet. Anyways….

I would look for a Dr Scholl's kiosk. They have them in a lot of Walmart locations. https://kiosk.drscholls.com/?utid=c...aBr7ePL0EgliPx7cnTRoC0BUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
My wife used to have custom insoles when she ran XCounty in school. She started having foot problems again a few years ago and when she called he old podiatrist he recommended she try one of kiosks first. It recommends an insert based on a scan of your feet. It has worked for both me and her.

Meindl. The Germans know a little bit about mountains. Their comfort fit hunter and hiker has a wide toe box and a really cool ankle support system. I wear a 14W and they are awesome. I have straight up heinous Michael Jordan post game seven feet. Anyways….

Do they run big or small? Also, did you order the D or EE? Thanks

14EE sir. It’s their wide version and they have a very spacious toe box. I’ve worn La Sportiva, Salomon, Merrill, Danner, Keen, Rocky and Salewa boots. All of these were worn overseas in very mountainous regions or in the continental U.S covering very long distances with packs on. All of them did just fine. Sadly boots are like saddles.

I’m sure all of us had “that one” boot or shoe that the company stopped making or changed and we had to search all over again. Meindl was my last stop. They used to be sold in Cabelas and were very popular until they changed something. I don’t know what. But whatever it was they upset their base. They got away from Cabelas because Cabelas had something to do with whatever was wrong I actually learned about them from a Swedish Special Forces soldier because his entire team was wearing them.

They have one warehouse in the U.S. and if you call they will help you out. You can also wear the boots all around your house and if you don’t like them return them. What I did was go to my gym and walk on a treadmill at different incline percentages with them on. This keeps them clean and gives you a definitive answer of how your feet like them. Hope this helps sir.

Last edited:
I guess I should re-phrase my previous post....Danners are my go to if I'm paying for them (I'm cheap) and they feel like wearing tennis shoes but White's are my preferred boots. They're seriously heavy duty comfortable boots once broken in and quite a few of them are able to be rebuilt. I was lucky enough to have work cover the cost so if buying yourself they're pretty spendy but if wearing for hunting, you won't wear them out in several years.

Meindl has a printable chart on their website to measure your foot. I emailed them pics of my foot on the print out and asked what size to buy. Got a very quick response. Unfortunately the size I need is out of stock.

I tried on some Keen boots today and enjoyed both the Targhee II and Voyageur. I figured one of them might work for early to mid season? Has anyone tried out the Keen high lace? It seems to be geared towards colder temps and I thought fit may be a similar fit.

SAME at least the part about sick of wearing rubber boots. I was thinking of some high end like Kenetrek, Crispi or Meindel's etc. and gators but I think my buddies will laugh at me.

Llbean used to have a great boot in the kangaroo featherweight.
Reminds me of the green browning sportsman boots - everyone I knew growing up had these and I always wanted a pair. Nowadays, they don't exist anymore. I believe they were kangaroo as well.

Back