• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I officially have analysis paralysis. More questions.

Jeff F.

Hello again.

I apologize in advance as I am new to the sport and I’m still trying to find the best system for my circumstances. I’ve new to saddlehunter and asking a lot of questions.

Quick recap.

I hunt public land, I like my climber (but want to get in more trees), I want to be able to hunt multiple spots and move around as I am still learning the terrain....

I’ve been messing around at ground level for two days in my first saddle and I love it. I’m going to keep it and I want to use it. My lower back does not agree with sitting so I love being able to stay off my ass.

Next step is how do I get up in the tree? Ideally I want to be able to “run and gun”.

I got some muddy aerolight climbing sticks. They felt too bulky and heavy to pack in every time so I returned them.

I got some lone wolf climbing sticks. They are light, compact, and super easy to pack....but I did not feel comfortable climbing them. I hunt late into the season and freezing, wet, dark conditions are a big consideration. I’m often frozen to near death coming out of a tree with diminished motor skills. The single sided small steps are a concern. I returned the lone wolf sticks.

Now I’m apologizing to my climber for thinking climbing in her was tough.

Now I’m researching what to try next. Do I pick 5 spots and put up more permanent bulky type steps and leave them for a season? I’ve seen one fine gentleman on here climbing with just his saddle and climber seat....try that? Wild edge steps? Tough it out and pack in bulkier good climbing sticks?

If you made it this far I thank you for lending your ear to a man in the throes of analysis paralysis. Cheers.

You are going to get a dozen varying opinions - best for you only you will know in the end. There are many options but try one and stick with it until you know for sure it is or it is not right for you. None are better than any other - it’s all personal preference and comfort. In wet freezing dark conditions all climbing gets more dangerous so slowing down becomes key. Get to know a system intimately for really getting confident. Last year I did WE Stwpps and really liked them. Still do. But this year going to try bolts to see if I like that even more. Next I want to try spurs. You will find most guys on here have a garage full of climbing methods. It’s part of the madness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say wild edge stepps might work if you value packability and like having a large surface area for your feet. But, they do have a learning curve and I've never had to until the knot in super cold temps. Lowest it gets down here is upper teens.

I’m not trying to be a smart %** but you ever thought of hunting on the ground? Sounds like you’re making yourself miserable lol. Just get out and hunt. Over time you’ll figure out what you like and don’t like. Just may cost you unless you can find a hunting buddy or two to try their set ups.

Tough answer but if you are talking about hunting public you probably cant screw anything in the tree or use climbing spikes. Personally, I use climbing sticks most of the time. Stripe the top of your steps with white paint and it makes them easier to see when you are coming down. Also, there are some companies offering some lighter weight double step sticks. I have never used the WE steps but it might be worth a shot. Your run and gun is going to be limited to the weight you carry. I typically hunt with 4 to 5 sticks so I only relocate a maximum of once per sit if I have to.

Easier said than done, but don't over think it. Like they said above just get out and hunt. I agree with trying ground hunting. I had a lot of fun last year doing that, stalking bedding areas... Saw a lot of a$$ unfortunately as I busted a bunch of them.

Like most of us, I use what I use because it was what I could get and works.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I’m not trying to be a smart %** but you ever thought of hunting on the ground? Sounds like you’re making yourself miserable lol. Just get out and hunt. Over time you’ll figure out what you like and don’t like. Just may cost you unless you can find a hunting buddy or two to try their set ups.

Feel free to be a smart ass :). I’m lucky to live right in the middle of 60K acres of Michigan public land but it’s a more populated part of the state. Archery bow hunting a deer from the ground would require some super Jedi skills I don’t have. It’s a fairly pressured area. I could use a crossbow, or a ground blind, a just lug out a few cheap ladder stands but all those things are not fun lol. It’s a good thought though. That’s why I love turkey hunting.....10+ miles a day hiking and hunting from the ground.

You are going to get a dozen varying opinions - best for you only you will know in the end. There are many options but try one and stick with it until you know for sure it is or it is not right for you. None are better than any other - it’s all personal preference and comfort. In wet freezing dark conditions all climbing gets more dangerous so slowing down becomes key. Get to know a system intimately for really getting confident. Last year I did WE Stwpps and really liked them. Still do. But this year going to try bolts to see if I like that even more. Next I want to try spurs. You will find most guys on here have a garage full of climbing methods. It’s part of the madness.

“Part of the madness”........that pretty much sums it up. Thanks for the advice.

Easier said than done, but don't over think it. Like they said above just get out and hunt. I agree with trying ground hunting. I had a lot of fun last year doing that, stalking bedding areas... Saw a lot of a$$ unfortunately as I busted a bunch of them.

Like most of us, I use what I use because it was what I could get and works.

I muzzleload for deer from the ground on bigger pieces of ground. I think the odds of shooting a deer on the ground with an archery bow in my parts is pretty slim. I can’t imagine the amount of ass I would see :). My main drive is getting meat in the freezer so I tend to stick with the odds. I reserve the fun for turkey hunting and deer gun hunting.

I would say wild edge stepps might work if you value packability and like having a large surface area for your feet. But, they do have a learning curve and I've never had to until the knot in super cold temps. Lowest it gets down here is upper teens.

The upper teens is still pretty damn cold up in a tree not moving for three hours :)

Abso-friggin-lutely. It's plenty cold for me. But I know there's some folks who hunt much lower. I think OP said he's in Michigan. Teens is record-setting stuff for Alabama, bit not so much up there.

Yup OP replied to you. We do get constant low temps in Michigan for a big part of the season. I’m a fan of the cold but I never knew real cold until I started deer hunting. Hiking in 5 degrees can feel hot. Sitting in a treestand in 25 degrees can be EXTREMELY cold.

Yup OP replied to you. We do get constant low temps in Michigan for a big part of the season. I’m a fan of the cold but I never knew real cold until I started deer hunting. Hiking in 5 degrees can feel hot. Sitting in a treestand in 25 degrees can be EXTREMELY cold.
Lol, today is not my day.

I agree that sitting still in a tree sucks the life right out of you. Only thing colder than the deer stand is the duck blind.

OP I'm also hunting MI public and struggled through the same analysis. Purchased Hawk Helium sticks, did rope mod, and made some single step aiders. It's my least favorite climbing method. Feels like I'm climbing on tinkertoys. Linemans belt is in use when I climb but it's still feels dicey. In this situation I suck it up, go slow and careful.

This year I will transition to the Bongo saddleclimber method (Lone Wolf seat as climbing platform). It's less stuff to carry and, IMO, much safer. Downside is it's not easy to pass limbs.

FWIW the cold temps weren't much of a problem for me in climbing. Sitting still in the cold is the bigger problem. Climbing engages lots of muscles, hands can be heated with warmers. In the coldest temps I drag out the climbing stand and IWOM. Have not found a way to pair the IWOM with a saddle.

I used lone wolf sticks with aiders last year. I don't like having only 1 step per side to stand on while hanging my base/platform. This year I want to try the wild edge stepps with knaider/swaider. Less bulk, less weight, but I'm guessing it will take me longer to climb the tree. I haven't tried it yet though so we will see. Keep experimenting until you find what you like.

OP I'm also hunting MI public and struggled through the same analysis. Purchased Hawk Helium sticks, did rope mod, and made some single step aiders. It's my least favorite climbing method. Feels like I'm climbing on tinkertoys. Linemans belt is in use when I climb but it's still feels dicey. In this situation I suck it up, go slow and careful.

This year I will transition to the Bongo saddleclimber method (Lone Wolf seat as climbing platform). It's less stuff to carry and, IMO, much safer. Downside is it's not easy to pass limbs.

FWIW the cold temps weren't much of a problem for me in climbing. Sitting still in the cold is the bigger problem. Climbing engages lots of muscles, hands can be heated with warmers. In the coldest temps I drag out the climbing stand and IWOM. Have not found a way to pair the IWOM with a saddle.

My man.....

Thanks I may give the seat climbing method a shot. This is a learning process and I’m starting to think like you do. Climbers (or the bongo method) are actually very safe. You can stay connected with a tether the entire time from the ground, you use big simple muscle groups, and there are no tree sticks to cut your gut open if you do slip down the tree a bit.

Feel free to be a smart ass :). I’m lucky to live right in the middle of 60K acres of Michigan public land but it’s a more populated part of the state. Archery bow hunting a deer from the ground would require some super Jedi skills I don’t have. It’s a fairly pressured area. I could use a crossbow, or a ground blind, a just lug out a few cheap ladder stands but all those things are not fun lol. It’s a good thought though. That’s why I love turkey hunting.....10+ miles a day hiking and hunting from the ground.

Where in Michigan?

I have spurs, bolts, we steps, helium sticks

You’re more than welcome to try any and see how you like it

You can always attach your tether while using climbing sticks or steps. I've done that before. Biggest thing would be to stay safe and enjoy your hunt.

There are lots of options out there.
I think it all revolves around preference and legality.
You have already shown a dislike to single step sticks, so I would look at trying some of the double step options.

If you are comfortable with DIY and have access to a drill press, I would go with the Hawk Helium sticks and cut them down to 22”-24” with two steps a piece. They are a GREAT option to diy with because the main bar is solid as a rock.

The Wild Edge Stepps might be a good solution for you as well. You can run both hands on them on the way up and down, and most guys can get them rock solid.

If you are on private land and can get permission to drill trees, the EZ-Kut drill with bolts is probably my absolute favorite setup. I try to drill late summer with a power drill (hand drill for in season), and the holes will last all season. I make a notation of how many bolts I need for each prepped tree, and I only carry 1 extra. Once the tree is prepped, it is a SUPER simple install and climbing process.

Lastly, you could consider climbing spurs, but these have a steeper learning curve than any of the aforementioned climbing methods. Once you get the form down, it’s not much harder than climbing a ladder. I will be using 3 bolts for my platform while spur climbing this year. (and hopefully a predator platform if I can gather the funds)

I went the WE Stepps as the more versatile option. Still working my aider/knaider setup. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Back