• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ideal DIY Lightweight Ghillie Suit Build

JDFrost

Thinking about making a ghillie suit for bowhunting this year.

I am sure I could buy a leafy suit and that would work fine but I like the idea of making something myself.

What would the ideal bowhunting ghillie suit have?

Thoughts on how to make this thing?

Lightweight...
What should I use as the "base"?
Material?

I am seriously considering making a ghillie...wait for it... apron this year.
My thought process brought me to this because I am going to stake it out on the ground a bunch this coming season because visibility in these Central Florida public land swamps is BETTER from the ground in all of the areas with deer and hog tracks.
I do NOT want to try and fight the heat in a full body ghillie so if I sit in a chair, the breakup of human form will be around my head/shoulder area (ghillie hat) and the 90 degree bend formed from my legs while seated. If I make an apron of sorts, my theory is that I can put it on when I sit down. I am not going to still hunt with it on, only sit on a chair next to a tree.

I am thinking badminton netting and some very lightweight streamers of cloth, no twine or rope on this one because I need to keep the weight DOWN to make it remotely bearable to wear.

Another way I see it is, if anyone sees me in it then the ghillie didn't work and I would deserve the laughs it caused!
See you in the woods; hope you don't see me...

Join the sniper hide group and look at how the actual military and law enforcement sniper does it. BDU fish net sewn on back of jacket and trousers front is usually old duffel bag material sewn on with lots of handmade pockets for gear and foam padding. They’re always belly crawling in micro movements. Just like hunting game motion gets you detected. For hunting I have a scentblocker 3D leafy suit. Compression sleeves for the arms. Sapper suit kits are available on predator hunting stores and Ebay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might also want to watch YouTube videos on some of the high level air soft competitions. Probably even find specific videos on creating a suit for the same. Those guys go all out on the homemade ghille suits and some of them are amazing.

I’d start with that link above and tie on jute, burlap, camo netting, tule, etc.

I’ve made a bunch of ghillie suits from scratch over the years and this is the best for DIY that I’ve found. I have one that is green based for Turkey hunting and early season deer and another that is more brown and tan for fall deer hunting.

It is easy to pack and easy to take on and off.

The biggest advantage of a ghillie suit to to break up your outline, specifically the head and shoulders, and this does that and not much more. You don’t need a sniper style suit unless you’re going to be laying down prone hunting. All that material in the back is not useful and adds needless weight. With this foundation you will just have it on arms and shoulders and head which is perfect for ground hunting.

Just my thoughts

Attachments

• FF3E6594-9E5B-4EB5-855D-C49182846D48.jpeg
    FF3E6594-9E5B-4EB5-855D-C49182846D48.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 292

I’d start with that link above and tie on jute, burlap, camo netting, tule, etc.

I’ve made a bunch of ghillie suits from scratch over the years and this is the best for DIY that I’ve found. I have one that is green based for Turkey hunting and early season deer and another that is more brown and tan for fall deer hunting.

The biggest advantage of a ghillie suit to to break up your outline, specifically the head and shoulders, and this does that and not much more. You don’t need a sniper style suit unless you’re going to be laying down prone hunting. All that material in the back is not useful and adds needless weight. With this foundation you will just have it on arms and shoulders and head which is perfect for ground hunting.

Just my thoughts
That full mesh green one would be my choice for this project for breathability. You could always add some spray paint camo pattern or tie dye camo it before tying on your strips of material to modify your base color if that base color isn't ideal for your region/season

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Just my thoughts

Thanks for this link.

Your suit looks legit. What materials did you use? Did you use any spray paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That full mesh green one would be my choice for this project for breathability. You could always add some spray paint camo pattern or tie dye camo it before tying on your strips of material to modify your base color if that base color isn't ideal for your region/season

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
Correct. I used the green for this suit and multi am for the other

Thanks for this link.

Your suit looks legit. What materials did you use? Did you use any spray paint?

Thanks man. I’ve found a variety of textures is equally as important as the variety of color.

I used burlap, jute,two types of mesh material, and some fake greenery from Hobby Lobby. For this suit the bulk of the texture is made up of that fake greenery. Looks like actual vegetation so it works well. It’s just hard to replicate for fall colors.

And yea I spray paint the burlap before tying it on the suit

Looks like I’ll be making a trip to Hobby Lobby. I love how full that suit looks.

Those capes are on sale on Amazon right now.

Looks like I’ll be making a trip to Hobby Lobby. I love how full that suit looks.

Those capes are on sale on Amazon right now.

Right on, it’s fun so buy a few capes to make a few different colored ones. I’ve got 6 currently. Use em for deer, duck and Turkey.

On some I’ve used mainly jute, others burlap, and some mainly mesh

Do you “tease” the jute out to fray it or just use it as is?

Also, do you have an idea of the weight difference between the mesh cape and the other ones?

Right on, it’s fun so buy a few capes to make a few different colored ones. I’ve got 6 currently. Use em for deer, duck and Turkey.

On some I’ve used mainly jute, others burlap, and some mainly mesh

If you get a chance, I’d love to see some more pics of the various colors and styles.

Just my thoughts
Impressive

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just as is, but if you wanna fray it then go for it it.

And negligible difference. It’s a thin ripstop material

Join the sniper hide group and look at how the actual military and law enforcement sniper does it. BDU fish net sewn on back of jacket and trousers front is usually old duffel bag material sewn on with lots of handmade pockets for gear and foam padding. They’re always belly crawling in micro movements. Just like hunting game motion gets you detected. For hunting I have a scentblocker 3D leafy suit. Compression sleeves for the arms. Sapper suit kits are available on predator hunting stores and Ebay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had a number of Marine snipers work for me in the past, they do make really great suits - for their purpose.
I cannot afford to make one as heavy as they do or my hunting here in Florida will be about 2 weeks long at the end of the season because of the heat.
Trust me, after 3 tours at Camp Lejeune, NC and 2 tours as an officer on Parris Island, SC (not counting my time as a recruit on Parris Island when I was enlisted) I can tell you with certainty that it is HOTTER here in Florida.

It takes more to fool a human's eye than it does to fool a deer's eye, when movement is taken out of the equation. I would love to find some camo or dull shaded nylon ripstop; I haven't really even looked yet. I would use that material as the basis of breaking up my outline I bet I could just walk to my stand location and pick up spanish moss to lay on my legs to help break up my (seated) outline.

I've been putting a ghillie suit together too. I'm using my Asat 3D suit as the base, adding light colored thread, leaves and some predator gray fabric cut into strips. It has been taking some time but I should have it finished by end of June at the latest. I'm going to have someone take some pics of me in a tree in different settings to get an idea of how effective it will be while hunting from a saddle. My plan is to wear this in certain situations with little cover and/or hanging low in a tree.
Resizer_16207682620460.jpg

Back