• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ideas on how to spike-ify a kisser button to make a custom nose button?

raisins

SH Member
I have a short bow on order (Bowtech Revolt) that clicks all boxes except it is 30" axle to axle and with my 30" draw length, it is difficult to get nose to string contact. It is an amazing bow and the shortness and 7.25 inch brace height will make it the perfect saddle bow for me.

My solution is going to be to try the largest sized Bowmar nose button to make up the distance so I can get nose to some object on string (the nose button) without having to contort my head much. If necessary, I will make a larger, custom-sized nose button out of a kisser button. However, I like the spikey texture of the Bowmar nose button because it does make you feel that you are in the right spot.

I'm thinking a Dremel with either a cutting disc or one of those shafts with the cutting sides would probably work to cut into the sides of the kisser to make a big spikey nose button. However, I'd like it to be as nice and uniform as possible. If this thing looks like a monstrosity, I know I'll stare at it too much in the saddle.

As a group, you guys are some of the best DIY'ers out there.

So while I'm waiting on my new bow, I'll throw it out to the group: how would you guys do this?

As I was typing this, I realized I could always heat up something with texture (a gear?) and then roll it along the edge and kind of make the edge like the ridges on a 25 cent piece. Just another idea.

Thanks for any ideas.

Also, feel free to suggest something other than a kisser button that could be used instead. I considered contacting Bowmar for a custom one or having someone 3D print one, but the thread of the 3D printing of one here didn't turn out well last time I checked. I would prefer making it myself so it is cheaper and I can play around with the sizing (I'll just spend 20 bucks on kisser buttons and have several) until I get it just right.

I second the dremel idea. No reason why it shouldn’t work. Kisser buttons are also cheap enough that they can be redone if the first prototypes don’t turn out as well as can be expected.

Maybe try a bojax string silencer instead of the kisser button. Just a though
4a1304269f2415b8037ff2d472fdb7e0.jpg

Maybe try a bojax string silencer instead of the kisser button. Just a though
4a1304269f2415b8037ff2d472fdb7e0.jpg

Thanks, I like the idea of finding something that is a string silencer. I'll look at those. This particular one has a few issues. Those arms on it are so few and far between that it would be easy for it to rotate enough to have a different feel. Any texture should be find enough that you could spin it anywhere on it would feel around the same.

You could "rough cut" dremel tool a kisser with your major cuts to form the star or spike configuration then put the sanding/polishing attachment on the dremel to square or even things up. I would fashion everything before I install it on the string.

Also, something like the "shurz-a-peep" which is served into the string but instead of using it as a peep, use it as a nose button, it might be a little large though. But, once its adjusted you can tie it in like you would a peep and it would be there to stay. Just thinking out loud.

Soldering iron?

I was considering using a hot nail, soldering iron, or wood burner to just stipple it like you would a plastic knife or gun handle and just space dots of burn marks regularly all the way around. That texture and its size should be pretty noticeable!

Thanks.

You could "rough cut" dremel tool a kisser with your major cuts to form the star or spike configuration then put the sanding/polishing attachment on the dremel to square or even things up. I would fashion everything before I install it on the string.

Also, something like the "shurz-a-peep" which is served into the string but instead of using it as a peep, use it as a nose button, it might be a little large though. But, once its adjusted you can tie it in like you would a peep and it would be there to stay. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks, yeah I'll probably put it on a piece of cut metal clothes hanger secured in a bench vise. I'll probably try dremel and melt stippling and post a picture here later.

A lot of kissers are rubbery, I'll probably go with harder plastic because nose pressure can't push it around plus I can probably texture plastic better.

I was considering using a hot nail, soldering iron, or wood burner to just stipple it like you would a plastic knife or gun handle and just space dots of burn marks regularly all the way around. That texture and its size should be pretty noticeable!

Thanks.

Make a model, mold in silicone, cast in urethane?

Back