• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Identify and setup an old bow...help!

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Well, my uncle cleans out apartments and houses then gets rid of garbage or burns wooden items...I rescued this old bow and thought that if all I need is a string and dampners maybe I can restart my trad bow journey after not shooting one since my first bow experiences in Thailand.20220726_192154.jpg20220726_192214.jpg20220726_192235.jpg

Also, any points as to what size or type or even brand of string to buy?
Any idea of what brand of bow it is?
Thanks in advance mates!

I’d first get to stripping that blasphemy of a paint job. Then I would get a dacron string. You’ll likely need a 58” bow string. No idea what but I’m sure it’s under that sacrilege I’d call a paint job.
Will try. I don't want to damage the limbs though. Its a very odd felt type paint.

What do those numbers mean?
45#@28” draw weight; 62” AMO length bow; looks like #400/5967 produced? Or it could be a serial number.

I wouldn’t worry about the paint or limbs. You can refinish it pretty easy with spray epoxy or urethane.

Going to agree with @JSEXTON23 and advise getting a 58" B50 string for that bow. The riser profile looks really familiar to me but cant quite place it. Maybe a Ben Pearson.

The laminations are throwing me. I dont remember any of the old Pearson bows I have seen having that there.

Favors a Wing Falcon as well in profile but again the laminations being where they are doesnt seem right.

Once that paint is off you might find the names of the make and model on the belly side of the limbs…

Do NOT buy a 58" AMO string for that lol! You will need a 62" AMO string or an actual measured length of 58". Just pertinent info, as I see this question/issue almost daily.

Do NOT buy a 58" AMO string for that lol! You will need a 62" AMO string or an actual measured length of 58". Just pertinent info, as I see this question/issue almost daily.
So the string should be 62" or 58"? is the bow supposed to be 58" after it's strung?

So the string should be 62" or 58"? is the bow supposed to be 58" after it's strung?

The string should actually measure 58". AMO is basically less 4", so a packaged 62" AMO will be 58" long. I know most of the packaged B50/dacron strings we sell are all AMO measurements, so if you have a 62" listed bow, you buy the 62" AMO package (match the label to the bow).

The string should actually measure 58". AMO is basically less 4", so a packaged 62" AMO will be 58" long. I know most of the packaged B50/dacron strings we sell are all AMO measurements, so if you have a 62" listed bow, you buy the 62" AMO package (match the label to the bow).
When you say "we sell" ....can I just buy one from you?

He said a 58" string because that would be 4" shorter than the length of the bow. That is a pretty standard guide for replacing the string on a recurve.

Back