• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

If Deer Ate Fast Food What Would They Eat?

Exiled in MD

So, as I was cleaning out the rig from last weeks hunts I noticed a popular early season theme. The McDonald's bags gave it away. You know with the longer hours of the early season you do things you normally regret doing. Let's say I awake at 4:00 for a morning season hunt. If I want a "healthy" breakfast it's 2 sausage burritos and a hash brown. If we're going for the longer sit we'll get the calorie dense 2 sausage biscuits and the hash brown. The coffee is always of my making. I have some standards. In the evening after an early afternoon entry, when the fat cells are screaming, we go for one of the most portable meals of all-time...the 2 cheeseburgers, fries and beverage.

Now I'm one to dress onsite so the lingering smells of such decisions are not on my gear and although they me part of me I wonder WWDE (What Would the Deer Eat)? Some would argue that they don't like the McDonald's. Perhaps they prefer a Croissanwich or something else.

Thoughts?

Looking at the McDonald’s menu, I’m guessing they would eat a more healthy combination of the side salad and an order of sliced apples with a water.
Probably correct. I guess I can't resist the temptation to eat healthy when I'm there. I'm guessing a Big Mac, without the meat, may be appealing to one too? Salad & bread?

So, as I was cleaning out the rig from last weeks hunts I noticed a popular early season theme. The McDonald's bags gave it away. You know with the longer hours of the early season you do things you normally regret doing. Let's say I awake at 4:00 for a morning season hunt. If I want a "healthy" breakfast it's 2 sausage burritos and a hash brown. If we're going for the longer sit we'll get the calorie dense 2 sausage biscuits and the hash brown. The coffee is always of my making. I have some standards. In the evening after an early afternoon entry, when the fat cells are screaming, we go for one of the most portable meals of all-time...the 2 cheeseburgers, fries and beverage.

Now I'm one to dress onsite so the lingering smells of such decisions are not on my gear and although they me part of me I wonder WWDE (What Would the Deer Eat)? Some would argue that they don't like the McDonald's. Perhaps they prefer a Croissanwich or something else.

Thoughts?

Bro, you just NAILED my exact orders. And for the exact reason! Especially with "one of the most portable meals of all time." You can kick it 70 down the interstate and still get your munch on with that combo!

Probably correct. I guess I can't resist the temptation to eat healthy when I'm there. I'm guessing a Big Mac, without the meat, may be appealing to one too? Salad & bread?
IDK? I’ve never fed bread to a deer but the mallard in the neighborhood pond would definitely eat that bread and salad combo.

Yuck. I eat McD in emergency only. About the only fast food I'll eat sober is Chic fila.

Mornings in hunting season I usually choke down a greek yogurt while still mostly asleep and grab a larabar and clifbar for the road.​

A friend of mine once asked me what I thought was the healthiest thing at McD's, I told him "the exit". I stay out of almost all fast food places so I can't relate to what a deer would eat there, :tearsofjoy:

One of the hunters in my camp takes a bacon and egg sandwich and a thermos of coffee with him every morning he hunts. He shoots more deer than anyone else. He thinks they are curious about the smell......I have no idea myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think AG fed deer would be all over a supersize fountain drink. Sucking down all that corn syrup to get swole for the rut

One of the hunters in my camp takes a bacon and egg sandwich and a thermos of coffee with him every morning he hunts. He shoots more deer than anyone else. He thinks they are curious about the smell......I have no idea myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta be the bacon. With the exception of maybe a pig everything likes bacon.

Yuck. I eat McD in emergency only. About the only fast food I'll eat sober is Chic fila.

Mornings in hunting season I usually choke down a greek yogurt while still mostly asleep and grab a larabar and clifbar for the road.​
That's a healthy breakfast for sure. High protein content has done it for me too. I've always carried some sort of protein dense food bar with me on all day sits.

I don't know about deer but I baited one of bears I shot in college with a combination McDonalds and Dominos. I was working as a bartender and the Dominos guys would bring me the pizzas that hadn't been picked up over their shift in exchange for a beer or two. I also was fishing buddies with the guy who owned the local McDonalds and he had his crew save any "old" burgers or breakfast sandwiches for me in box I'd pick up daily. I had to unwrap them but it was worth it. If you were within 75 yds of that bait pile you'd swear there was a McDonalds in the area because the smell was so distinctive. Funny thing was, the bear would eat the biscuits around the sausage. Never quite figured that out.

Bear probably ate the biscuit due to the allowable level of wood pulp in the sausage being too high

Back