• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

If you could only pick one...

Gr33n Arrow

Hey guys and gals,

If you could only pick one tree to swing from for the rest of your hunting days, where would it be located, and why (transition, ridge line, creek crossing, finger, funnel, etc.)? Looking for specifics and I recognize that there are a lot of other factors that play into where we hunt, but play along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say a creek crossing. I always liked hunting by creeks and rivers. Even if I don't see anything, I enjoy watching the water. Besides everything gets thirsty eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have a spot in an 80 yard wide swamp that separates 2 corn fields that I have taken 4 or my best 5 deer out of. I’m in upstate NY on a private farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a8ef9cd80cc56c54a3549c5c9e06829b.png

Downwind side of a 15-20 year old clear cut to hardwoods transition. Not the prettiest location but it produces :D

The tree I would hang out in, would be the one where all the bucks are bedding or feeding at, at that moment in time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a half dead, ugly tree about a mile into a Mississippi river bottom swamp I would pick. It is surrounded by water and 3 small strips of higher ground converge there. All 3 strips of land contain bedding and thick, nasty cover. It is a pain in the but to get to this tree and even more of a pain to drag all the 200 pound plus bucks out from that spot, but so worth it. I usually hunt this spot maybe one time a year, but I have shot my 5 biggest bucks from this ugly, almost dead tree.

I’m limited to only a couple good ridge line (side) trails with good doe crossings for bucks to travel checking them and they are only really good pre rut and rut. Fingers are good if there is bedding on the tip with good cover around. Funnels on public land may have all the sign but are less traveled by mature bucks in daylight as they seem to get hunted the most if they are obvious funnels.

I would go with a good creek crossing in cover or a combination of all types. One of my best spots and the tree I would hunt if I could only hunt one has a good combination. It’s on the down wind side of a doe bedding area between another doe bedding area, on the inside corner of a T shaped finger/funnel of brush, within shooting distance of 2 creek crossings and on the inside bend of the creek. From this tree you have a great view down one leg of the creek to monitor travel at another well used crossing. This spot has it all. It’s the spot I always daydream about sitting. The one you can’t wait to hunt but don’t dare over hunt. IS IT TIME YET!!!!lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a ridge that runs between the river swamp and a Creek at my local WMA. I've killed lots of ducks, deer, hogs, and squirrels off of that ridge. Hands down my favorite piece of ground.

There may or may not be 3 or 4 trees with 3/8" holes in them.

Big Black Cherry that sits about 60 foot off an old clear cut. Its got lota of ground cover where they bed and move to feeding areas. Always produces really well

Back