• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

IFAK

Orion5

I am looking to add an IFAK to my packing list but I don't want to carry a bunch of stuff that's not needed. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

IFAK n have no clue what that stands for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love it!

But more to the OP, I have no clotting agent so I bring a pressure bandage a triangular bandage that can be made into a tourniquet. Some small bandaids alcohol wipes and super glue.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

The basic set up I carry.
  • Hemostatic Agent
  • Pressure Dressing / Bandage
  • Gauze
  • Tourniquet
As a Critical Care RN the only thing I would probably add to this would be several tablets of benadryl, and motrin. Benadryl can save your life giving you some time to get out of the field if you begin experiencing an allergic reaction to something. Motrin is just nice to have for musculoskeletal injuries. Slight sprains that kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Israeli battle dressing. They can serve as a tourniquet, but are designed to be as close as possible without actually cutting off all of the circulation. They cost a few bucks and take about 5 minutes to figure out how to use... so buy a spare that you can open up and play with. You don't want those five minutes to be in the field while you are bleeding.

I have one in every bag, pack, glove compartment, desk drawer at work,....
Other things for the field...
Triangle bandages are very versatile for the space/weight. Can make a sling, can be used to tie a brace to leg or secure gauze.
At least one way to start fire, two is better.

I carry the israeli battle dressing, Celox (quick clot), 2 lighters, fire stick and betadine. That's about 6" x 3" pile. My much more expansive kit is always in the truck.

Some items I have for folks to consider for their vehicle...
Small suture kits, multiple sizes of butterfly bandages, betadine or saline washes, antibiotic, amonia tabs, Bayer for pain or heart attack, medical tape, gauze, Ace wraps, ankle brace, tweezers, small light, reading glasses, rubber gloves, wool sock, wool hat, body warmers to create hit, emergency blanket to help trap it... That's a quick list from memory. There are great lists online if you want to build a nice kit.

Please read the warnings on Hemostatic agents, iodine, betadine, etc. so you know the choice you are making before using it.

Back