• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I'm looking for Alaska Saltwater outfitter

We did a day trip with Jimmy Jacks in Seward last year. Seems there are several outfitters that run multiple boats with lodging and do inshore salmon and offshore fishing. Other guys on the boat we were on were doing that and they did 2 days inshore and 2 days offshore. They seemed to be having fun and said just show up with your wallet. It was $700 for my wife and I for a single day trip and $350 for a hotel in Seward for a night. Nothing cheap around there and I expect those guys paid a nice Penny. Can’t compare it to any others but we did get on some fish. However, we thought we were getting halibut and cod but the boat leased out it’s halibut rights for the month we came, and it was too rough to get to the cod spots and they said a lot of good cod spots are fished out by the end of the first week in July anyways and we were late in the second week. So take those tidbits into account and make sure you know what your boat is legal to be catching and try to go early July if wanting cod, in Seward anyways. We had a good time and limited rock fish and got a few salmon. I wasn’t overly impressed but I fish offshore a good bit in Florida so I’m harder to please and was a little bent that I wasn’t getting put on a 100lb halibut... oh well, my in-laws are in Kenai so we will be back in a few years for a do-over. You’ll have fun anyways, and nothing compares to the views. Beautiful country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was suppose to go out of Seward for halibut the weather didn't cooperate.... Can't remember the outfitter. .... Instead went to the kenai and fished for Kings. River Kings or kenai Kings... Something like that was the outfitter. Caught Kings, reds, dolly, and rainbow trout. I spent the day drinking at the bar showing off my crocs while in Seward... They got sea otters, a kicksa** hardware store, a prison cliff castle, and lots of hot chicks who are all from somewhere else working seasonal job. Have a backup plan.... The weather changes quick up there

Another thing to consider, if you don’t know about it, is the fly out charters. I know there’s one from kenai that flys to some lake where the salmon are stacked on top of each other trying to go up some creek. Apparently the bears are there too and feeding within about 10 yards of the boats. They fly you in on a float plane. It’s about $400 a pop, but sounds like a once in a lifetime type of experience. I didn’t learn about it till late in our trip. Plan on doing it next time though.

Another thing to consider, if you don’t know about it, is the fly out charters. I know there’s one from kenai that flys to some lake where the salmon are stacked on top of each other trying to go up some creek. Apparently the bears are there too and feeding within about 10 yards of the boats. They fly you in on a float plane. It’s about $400 a pop, but sounds like a once in a lifetime type of experience. I didn’t learn about it till late in our trip. Plan on doing it next time though.

Snagging salmon is actually pretty boring fishing in my experience. I went in thinking I was going fishing, not snagging fish. From what I remember the guide telling us once we were out there, once the fish start heading to their spawning grounds, they quit eating, thus all you can do is snag them.

Snagging salmon is actually pretty boring fishing in my experience. I went in thinking I was going fishing, not snagging fish. From what I remember the guide telling us once we were out there, once the fish start heading to their spawning grounds, they quit eating, thus all you can do is snag them.
Certain species.....red, humpy, or sockeye (different name for the same fish) are the ones the locals are on the bank snagging. They don't eat them..... They are winter dogfood. I caught other salmon species with roe as bait.

I agree, I “caught” one silver. My understanding is that some of the others subspecies are more aggressive and are actually feeding. It was definitely a whole different kind of fishing than I was used to. However, the fly out charter would be more for the experience of the float plane, bears, and a easy limit of meat as a bonus. But yes, silver/coho fishing is not my style

Certain species.....red, humpy, or sockeye (different name for the same fish) are the ones the locals are on the bank snagging. They don't eat them..... They are winter dogfood. I caught other salmon species with roe as bait.
I'll admit my memory isn't the greatest, but I'm fairly certain sockeye (I remember mention of king, sockeye and red) is what most are after and the locals were also there keeping them for food (they are allowed a lot more than we were, only 3 per person for nonresidents). Issue I had was the boat went to the good spot where we stayed until all customers had caught their 3 fish, then we moved to another location to keep catching the lower end salmon and threw them back. I was done at spot one in 15 mins and then had to wait the next three hours for the others to snag their fish (they wouldn't allow me to keep fishing and snagging the "good" salmon and just throw them back.

I was on the kenai in August catching king on roe.... What time did you guys go. Maybe the are still feeding at certain times and not at other times. I caught on fly rod while drift fishing. Throw the roe in the deep holes as we drifted by

I was told that they will grab roe in their mouth instinctively to try and save it, hence the red/orange bead that people have on their hook. But my understanding is that with coho you are essentially snagging them, since they aren’t aggressively feeding, but have to be lucky enough to snag them in the mouth to be legal. Residents are allowed to actually snag with a treble I believe, and large hand nets.

This is best of my recollection, I could be off a little. It’s def a different world from Florida fishing

I was told that they will grab roe in their mouth instinctively to try and save it, hence the red/orange bead that people have on their hook. But my understanding is that with coho you are essentially snagging them, since they aren’t aggressively feeding, but have to be lucky enough to snag them in the mouth to be legal. Residents are allowed to actually snag with a treble I believe, and large hand nets.

This is best of my recollection, I could be off a little. It’s def a different world from Florida fishing

Agreed....original poster needs to just go to Florida

I was on the kenai in August catching king on roe.... What time did you guys go. Maybe the are still feeding at certain times and not at other times. I caught on fly rod while drift fishing. Throw the roe in the deep holes as we drifted by

I’m talking kenai river in mid July for the coho/silver.

I agree, I “caught” one silver. My understanding is that some of the others subspecies are more aggressive and are actually feeding. It was definitely a whole different kind of fishing than I was used to. However, the fly out charter would be more for the experience of the float plane, bears, and a easy limit of meat as a bonus. But yes, silver/coho fishing is not my style
Float planes and bears are awesome. We flew to Katmai and spent a day there. Best part of my trip for sure.

Aug 3, 2017 according to this pic. Maybe somebody that knows the salmon better can tell for sure but we were told these were sockeye (could of well been lied to of course). They were mailed home and they tasted great to me either way.
IMG_4715.JPG

Next trip, assuming it’s the same timeframe and it’s silvers running, I won’t fish for them except for a fly out. But definitely looking forward to offshore again and getting into a big halibut and long cod. Nice thing about their offshore is that it’s so deep so quick that you’re in the fish with maybe a 30 min ride and pretty flat conditions until you make it out past some of the rock/island outcrops. As opposed to Florida were you have a solid 1.5-2 hours usually to get to good bottom, or more for trolling the ledge, in north Florida anyways. And usually a good bump on the water. South Florida makes the run short, it’s the only thing I’m jealous of south Florida on...

Alaska or Florida for a vacation?? Florida bores me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Not if your going specifically to fish......alaska is the coolest place I've ever seen/been to. It is amazing..... But if you want a fishing vacation not to many places in the world as good as FLA

Not if your going specifically to fish......alaska is the coolest place I've ever seen/been to. It is amazing..... But if you want a fishing vacation not to many places in the world as good as FLA
This isn't a strictly fishing vaca. We're doing some other stuff.
Florida is okay, but I want mountains around me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back