• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

In-field Injuries, Med Kits, and Tomfoolery

Smokingbarrel270

I have been prepping for an upcoming AZ Mule deer hunt that I leave for this coming weekend and I was going through my gear checklist and I got to my med kit. I stopped and remembered that I had to go through what I needed to replenish from my previous hunt.

It was the first time in all my years I have ever needed a med kit in the field while hunting. My brother and I were in AZ on a late season muley hunt when my brother and our guide we making a stalk on a beautiful mule deer bedded down with 3 does. I watching them from the glassing tit as they inched forward. All of a sudden I notice a bunch of movement and thought to myself "what are they doing they are going to blow the stalk." Little did I know that our guide had accidentally jabbed his forearm into my brothers iron will broadhead and went straight to the bone. My brother jumped quickly into action tearing off a base layer to apply pressure and elevate the wound above the heart while rushing back to their bags where brother had a med kit with a quick clot sponge. He quickly applied the quick clot sponge, applied pressure and got the bleeding to stop.
Needless to say the stalk was blown but our guide was still alive and well. I met them at the nearest glassing tit where I used my med kit which had butterfly closures and an assortment of other items we used to close up his wound. We pumped him full of sugary snacks and made fun of him in jest to keep the mood light, but i think we all knew that being miles away from a hospital that situation could have gone very differently.

Fast Forward to this past week, I was prepping my arrows while talking on the phone and obviously wasnt focusing and sliced my finger to the bone while installing broadheads (wasnt using a wrench). I quickly ran to my pack, grabbed my med kit, it it was like de ja vu all over again.

If you dont currently carry a small med kit, I would encourage you to start. If it isn't someone else life you save, it just might be your own.

Curious to hear what others carry in their med kit.

Glad to hear the gentleman was ok. Depending where I am hunting I carry an assortment of things including the quick clot. I carry an Epipen, and some antihistamines. An assortment of band aides. antiobiotic ointment and a bar of ivory soap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for that story @Smokingbarrel270. I'm a FIRM believer that everyone should carry a TQ wherever they go. Most humans understand that applying direct pressure is the right thing to do to stop bleeding. As such, many folks can find bandage or dressing materials in their everyday environments.

However, a tourniquet is the one piece of equipment you don't want to attempt improvising if you NEED IT NOW.

TQs are so compact now that there's really no reason not to stick one in your pocket.

Thanks for that story @Smokingbarrel270. I'm a FIRM believer that everyone should carry a TQ wherever they go. Most humans understand that applying direct pressure is the right thing to do to stop bleeding. As such, many folks can find bandage or dressing materials in their everyday environments.

However, a tourniquet is the one piece of equipment you don't want to attempt improvising if you NEED IT NOW.

TQs are so compact now that there's really no reason not to stick one in your pocket.
Thanks @Redbeard I've been thinking of adding a tq to my pack. Thanks for the reminder.

The cutting of fingers on broadheads brings back memories. I was leaving the house to go hunting and cut my thumb bad enough that it was bleeding pretty good. I walked back inside and stopped the bleeding. Bandages it up and decided that since it was now late I would just hunt behind the house. My wife came home and freaked out. I thought it would be fine to clean the blood after I came in but apparently the blood trail that started on the porch and went to the bathroom looked to her like it started in the bathroom and went outside. My truck still there and me nowhere around was apparently alarming.
First aid kits are something worth their weight. Everyone should have something. Just in case.

The cutting of fingers on broadheads brings back memories. I was leaving the house to go hunting and cut my thumb bad enough that it was bleeding pretty good. I walked back inside and stopped the bleeding. Bandages it up and decided that since it was now late I would just hunt behind the house. My wife came home and freaked out. I thought it would be fine to clean the blood after I came in but apparently the blood trail that started on the porch and went to the bathroom looked to her like it started in the bathroom and went outside. My truck still there and me nowhere around was apparently alarming.
First aid kits are something worth their weight. Everyone should have something. Just in case.
Great story! I guess leaving a note "out back" in the blood trail would not have been very amusing to the Mrs.

Last summer I was out scouting ground with a buddy and his kid. I was leading the way, my buddy behind and his son was last in the single file line spaced out by about 5-10 yards. My buddies kid starts screaming and running all over the place and we go running back to him to find hundreds of ground hornets swarming him. The poor little fella got stung about 20 times, and my buddy and I about 5 times. Luckily we weren't too far from the truck, but since that day I added Benadryl to my kit. Now the kit consists of a foil blanket, quick clot, tape, braided fishing line, a couple Band-Aids and some wound cleaning stuff. Certain hunts I'll have water purification tabs and fire starter

Be careful out there!
Our #1 Rule and only "rule" in our group is "Always Be Ready! "
Heads on a swivel out there!

Back