• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

in s saddle with a heavier coat

martian

early on , my jacket seemed not to be an issue. things don't seem to "fit" as well with a larger coat, and it wants to ride up like a waist jacket. . Only happened one, next time out temps went up and again , lighter jacket, I wonder if I have to open up my saddle a bit and sort of tuck the coat in before snapping it?

Yeah, tuck coat in at ground level, tuck into saddle and climb. Im not BJ, but you are playing with fire unhooking your waist belt at height.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Wear bibs and put your saddle around it, then the coat riding up doesn't matter as much if you don't want to tuck the coat in. I like being able to access pockets and stuff, everything tucked in makes that more difficult in my experience. I did buy a Broadside Camo hoody that is specifically made for Saddlehunting but @Red Beard spooked me into wearing it for fear of UV detection!!!

I just put me coat on over my saddle and let it ride up in the front to clear my bridge. I can put it on in the tree with no problem.

Easy option, put the coat on, then the saddle then climb. I do this for presets. Slightly harder- I loosen up my waist belt, keep my lineman’s on and tether hooked up and put the jacket on at height. Just tuck it down in the saddle like you would if you put the saddle on after it and you should be good to go.

early on , my jacket seemed not to be an issue. things don't seem to "fit" as well with a larger coat, and it wants to ride up like a waist jacket. . Only happened one, next time out temps went up and again , lighter jacket, I wonder if I have to open up my saddle a bit and sort of tuck the coat in before snapping it?
I think it depends on the saddle too. I have the method, which is supposed to be above your hips. So I put my coat on and the saddle over the coat. Front pockets are pretty much void of use but it works, is comfortable and warm

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Some of the 'saddle specific' clothing I've seen basically just had some slits cut into the bottom of the sides of the jackets for the bridge to go through - seems like that would be a pretty easy mod to a jacket to make it fit better for saddles. I like to put jacket on in stand after I've cooled down from climb - this clothing mod prolly would make that easier and also able to zip or button coat closed...

I have firstlite base layers. I obviously put those on first...my main layer and then pack in my first lite sanctuary bibs and jacket. Once at the tree...I put on my bibs, and then saddle. I have the puffy jacket and wear that as by that time I'm cold...put my coat in my pack and attach the pull up rope to my saddle. One stick up the tree with the bibs...take it slow as I don't want to get sweaty. Once at height I put my platform on and adjust my weak side stick. Once on the platform, I attach my linemans belt, and adjust my tether for hunting. Pull my pack up and set it on the tree...then once I'm completely set up I pull my jacket out of the pack and put it on. I will actually tuck my jacket into my bridge loops and linemans loops...as much as I can. With the bibs and the puffy...I'm not to concerned with wind going down my backside. The coat is for those horrible cold windy Illinois days that layers help. At my lease that is 172 miles north...it's even colder.

Back