• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Inexpensive Climbing Solution?

brentondowdy

Looking for advice on the least expensive way to get into a climbing method. I have a JX3 Hybrid on the way. I’ve spent more than I wanted to this season when Saddle hunting got my attention and unfortunately can’t do much more.

I’m light, athletic, and pretty agile. I don’t mind something being more challenging if that will save me money and get me in the tree next month. Just looking for a cost effective entry solution, then I can plan to upgrade next year. Any advice for me? Something I could build? Any certain brands I should check out? TIA

Build climbing sticks out of 2x4s maybe? Really some super cheap rivers edge sticks would be your best. They’re super heavy but durable and will get you up a tree.

You live anywhere close to Tampa Florida?
Send me a message, I have something you can borrow for the season that will get up up the trees.

Thank you so much for offering that. Unfortunately, I’m a good ways away from you in Kansas City, MO.

2 tether climbing is pretty cheap but takes some practice to get use to. If you are light and limber you won’t have a problem with it.

What platform do you currently use?
What’s your experience with climbing sticks?
what’s your price?
how high are you trying to get?
Do you have a tether and lineman’s belt?

Under $100 options that will have decent resale demand.

5 Wild edge steps , bag and an aider from classifieds ( I’m thin / athletic and still use, would stay here if I cut back the hobby cash ) Can also be your platform / 2-3 step ring .
Treehopper Drill and bolts / post a WTB to save a few bills. options for ring of bolts
Hawk sticks or 3-4 used sticks of your choosing. Could add the cheap hawk stick platform but you’ll be pushing $100+ and subject to Internet forum scorn.

*screw in steps - pack of 8 are sub $20. Slow and not the safest Option. low resale but $20

please use quality linesman and tether.

Cranford EZY Climb Folding Rope Step 4 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AVZZ5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_EP78J0205Z5W7NVWD0TP

Hawk Helium Climbing Stick 3 PK. for Treestand Fold Up Steps with Boot Grabbing Grooves, Grey, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013C0FW3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_5YA6HQ36Z6B94SPHR8H9?psc=1

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wow thank you all for these ideas and offers. Glad I posted this, I'm seeing lots of things I hadn't already come across or considered.

Looking for advice on the least expensive way to get into a climbing method. I have a JX3 Hybrid on the way. I’ve spent more than I wanted to this season when Saddle hunting got my attention and unfortunately can’t do much more.

I’m light, athletic, and pretty agile. I don’t mind something being more challenging if that will save me money and get me in the tree next month. Just looking for a cost effective entry solution, then I can plan to upgrade next year. Any advice for me? Something I could build? Any certain brands I should check out? TIA

Bolts, nothing is cheaper and more easily packed in.

u can find dirt cheap though typically heavy sticks in a variety of places.. I would recommend 5 wild edge steps with knaider and swander… think that’ll run u about 130 and u can get about 5 feet per step…and that’s pretty conservative.. if ur on private or the rare public that allows it, screw in steps would be by far the cheapest option….just takes a while to climb

Back