• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Insulation over harness?

justsomedude

Has anyone tried wearing insulation layers over their harness?

With hammocks, running your insulation UNDER the hammock maintains its loft and prevents 'cold butt syndrome'

You'll need to customize your insulation so you can run your bridge out of it. That's the downside I see.

I plan to use a pair of coveralls this year during the colder months. The zipper on coveralls comes from both directions, so you can leave them slightly open in the middle for the bridge. I have not tried this yet, but in my mind it makes sense.

If you have a 1 piece insulate then you could run the bridge through the inside pocket access (opening that allows you to access your pants pocket inside the coveralls). If you hunt with a 2 piece suite with the elastic tops then I put the saddle on and have the bridge between the jacket and pants. You just have to pull your jacket down between the bridge as there will be air flow there.

Not a big deal in TX as it does not get that cold. For some of you up north, the opening to the overlayed may be the best bet.

This year I have some Kuiu Kenai zip off insulated pants (ordered already). They might not work but I'll try.

It would be nice to be able to access the vents. I've gotten too sweaty before wearing thick insulation while climbing when I didn't have zip vents on the legs

Back