• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Interest in Saddle-friendly archery matches in SE MI?

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
I think there is maybe a need for competitions that cater to saddlehunters and/or beast-style public land hunters. No archery competition I'm aware of tests time-efficiency, tree-climbing, or rewards use of light weight gear. The archery comps I am aware of are basically target matches, and usually either exclude or punish xbow and trad shooters. They are not very practical.

It would be helpful if there was a competitive venue to flesh out the MOST effective public-land hunting techniques that doesn't care how you put an arrow on target. So I'm thinking of asking the BOD of a local sportsmans club if I could run a competition, possibly on a regular/monthly basis during the summer runup to hunting season.

As a competitor, it would involve showing up, signing a waiver, paying a fee of $20 or so, waiting around a lot (haha this is how such events roll), starting on a timer beep, then climbing a tree, reaching a certain height, taking a shot (or multiple shots), descending tree, and stopping the timer. Rules could be implemented to reward fastest time, lightest weight gear, etc. I have experience running multigun shooting matches so the nuts and bolts of running matches doesn't worry me too much.

Why would anyone volunteer to organize such a thing? I would like to plant the seed that such events lead to results such as:

1) Identification of best practices for safety, techniques, and gear.

2) Competitive motivation to enhance hunter skills in field.

3) Person-to-person interaction in match operations (getting to know like-minded people).

In other words, I'm entertaining the idea of running a competition where we get together F2F and exercise our gear and our skills. I'd like to learn techniques for getting into hunting spots more efficiently, and would like to open a venue for others who share the same interests.

Saddlehunters in SE MI area, would this interest you? If I go to the BOD of my local club, they will want to know how many participants are attending. And I'll need help running everything.

Any interest?

Where are you exactly in SE Michigan? Weekly or Monthly meetings?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not looking for "meetings" I have too many of those at work. :)

I could see monthly competitions, say 3rd Sat of the month, if there was sufficient interest.

Straight speed doesn't appeal to me as much as, "can you do it reasonably fast in a pitch black blindfold, silently" :)

I wouldn't compete but would be interested in seeing it, it trying out the demo climbing techniques, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Straight speed doesn't appeal to me as much as, "can you do it reasonably fast in a pitch black blindfold, silently" :)

I wouldn't compete but would be interested in seeing it, it trying out the demo climbing techniques, etc.

Agreed. Straight speed would not be the sole determining factor in "winning." Scoring would be points-based, with speed a contributing factor. If you are fastest, you get the most speed points. If you are slowest, you get the least speed points. But you also get points for hitting the 60-yard target, in addition to the 40-yard target, in addition to the 20-yard target. And if your gear weighs the least, you get more points. But there does need to be some time pressure in order to move the match along; you can't have a large group of guys waiting on one guy who says, "I'll take as long as I damn want." In competitive shooting we often use a "par time" which is a max time you have to complete a course of fire. That would need to be in play.

As for blindfolded, that could be another way to earn points. As in, "If you complete the tree climbing and descending blindfolded you earn an additional XX points." But there are safety concerns there; I would probably not introduce something like that the first time around.

I think it would be interesting. It wouldn’t simulate saddle hunting. You could climb with spikes and shoot from spikes without ever swapping to a platform or tether. Also I’m not a nut about tree damage but if you had 20 guys climb the same tree it would leave noticeable damage to the tree regardless of climbing method. Then there’s the time thing. Even with 3 man squads it would take about 30 minutes per station. Small squads move faster than large ones but then you miss out on the other climbing methods. I would be interested if it was closer but you would have a lot of obstacles to overcome.

I think it would be interesting. It wouldn’t simulate saddle hunting. You could climb with spikes and shoot from spikes without ever swapping to a platform or tether. Also I’m not a nut about tree damage but if you had 20 guys climb the same tree it would leave noticeable damage to the tree regardless of climbing method. Then there’s the time thing. Even with 3 man squads it would take about 30 minutes per station. Small squads move faster than large ones but then you miss out on the other climbing methods. I would be interested if it was closer but you would have a lot of obstacles to overcome.

You're getting at guys "gaming" the rules to win. This could be discouraged with other rules. I'm not prepared to write a rulebook at this point to lay everything out, but I'll say that the "game" is not so much about winning, it's about getting out and exercising your gear and seeing what works for other people. To discourage what you mention about the tether, it would be mandatory that competitors are tethered to the tree before taking any shots. It would also be mandatory that competitors are attached to the tree 100% of the time above a certain height (5 feet?) either by linemans belt or tether, for obvious safety reasons.

As for tree damage, spikes would not be permissible equipment since they are illegal on public lands here.

Regarding time, I would attempt to set up a course where 2 archers could compete simultaneously. They would have to move the same distance to different trees and engage 2 different sets of targets from the same minimum height. The property I'm thinking of using has lots of telephone-pole type trees so this seems feasible to me.

It would not simulate the 95% of saddle-hunting that is sitting for hours and maybe taking a shot at something, but it would simulate and exercise what happens in the other 5%. This would be useful in the runup to hunting season.

If it was closer I would attend at least once. It would be fun.

Back