• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Interesting tree damage observation....

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
I climbed this tree last year while demoing WE steps and my spurs. I hadn’t looked at the tree since then but noticed this yesterday. Where I had cammed the WE step multiple times to get it tight enough the tree looked pretty dang bad. Stuff oozing from the tree and could see bare wood underneath the bark layer. My spur holes on the other hand were mostly closed up, and definitely not oozing like the others. Not bashing anything, just thought it was interesting. People like to think spurs do the most damage but I really don’t think so. Not on this tree anyways!

WE marks

73bfb41eaa341a2c6758f5c0c5b67103.jpg

Spur hole

da2b9b202f3c241cdc602bf77e54f633.jpg

Tethrd-Ginger Ninja/Fire Crotch Fiddler

I've noticed the same thing. Gaff marks seem to heal better than wild edge standoff imprints, and bolt holes seem to heal the best.

My hypothesis is this. Cut yourself with a razor blade. Cut yourself with a saw blade. Then pinch the tar out of yourself with a pair of pliers until you tear skin and tissue. Which will heal best?

The standoffs are relatively dull, but are forced into the bark and cambium with a good deal of force and some twisting. I think this is more traumatic to a tree.

That's interesting. I don't have a pic right now, but I totally screwed up several feet of bark on a chestnut tree in our yard. It really bummed me out. Wondering if we should be more picky about what trees the stepps get cammed into?

Amazing! That is significant damage for months and months of healing. I think I will look at some of last years practice trees this evening and see what my steps have done.

I've noticed the same thing. Gaff marks seem to heal better than wild edge standoff imprints, and bolt holes seem to heal the best.

My hypothesis is this. Cut yourself with a razor blade. Cut yourself with a saw blade. Then pinch the tar out of yourself with a pair of pliers until you tear skin and tissue. Which will heal best?

The standoffs are relatively dull, but are forced into the bark and cambium with a good deal of force and some twisting. I think this is more traumatic to a tree.

Totally agree. The WE steps almost take a quarter sized “plug” out of the bark when cammed over tight.

I was surprised by the amount of damage the WEI Stepps caused too. I just received them this past spring. So I was practicing on a silver maple and it dug in surprisingly a lot on that. I also used it on a scraggly smooth barked ornamental cherry on my yard tree line and it dug in a lot on that tree too. The stepps that "cammed over" quickly and without much of a struggle left virtually no marks but the ones where the bark or the integral tree shape itself (which caused an uneven "bite" and where I had to "cam over" the step from a few to several times) obviously caused the most cambium layer disruption.

I have chewed up some trees in my backyard with WE. Even a single climb with them marks a tree well enough for other hunters to find months later. Not my main consideration, but I have seen the lengths others on here try to go to conceal themselves from other hunters, so this is another factor you should consider when choosing a climbing method.

John H.

I wish we had some dendrologist in the forum who could chime in on this. Is the tree doomed? Will it heal? I don't know anything about trees.

I have chewed up some trees in my backyard with WE. Even a single climb with them marks a tree well enough for other hunters to find months later. Not my main consideration, but I have seen the lengths others on here try to go to conceal themselves from other hunters, so this is another factor you should consider when choosing a climbing method.

John H.

This is a good point. Especially on public land with tons of traffic. I could probably spot a tree that's had WE stepps on them.

I wish we had some dendrologist in the forum who could chime in on this. Is the tree doomed? Will it heal? I don't know anything about trees.

I really don’t know either. I could definitely see a big difference in the wounds tho. Not sure if one is worse than the other. But figure if the normal guy used ten WE steps that is 20 good size wounds potentially. Probably about the same with spurs just a different type of hole.

This is a good point. Especially on public land with tons of traffic. I could probably spot a tree that's had WE stepps on them.
I have been using WE steps to mount my cameras high this spring. I needed to stop and go back to ameristeps so I my spots wont get busted.

Can you say Pine Beatles all they need in an opening, may be real bad on the Pine forest. One of the first things I do when scouting is to see if someone is hunting the area, climbing marks.

Last edited:
I agree with the lack of tree damage created by spurs. But since I can't use spurs, here in MO WE stepps are usually the next best thing. I appreciate the info, but please...."Shhhhh"! Instead of the state making spurs legal, they will be outlawing WE Stepps, next.

If they see some of the damage climbing sticks do, they’d outlaw them as well! I’ve had my heliums dig bear claw looking scratches on some smooth bark trees. Especially sycamore trees!

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

If they see some of the damage climbing sticks do, they’d outlaw them as well! I’ve had my heliums dig bear claw looking scratches on some smooth bark trees. Especially sycamore trees!

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx
Yep. Better ban actual bears, woodpeckers, termites, and other tree-marring animals too! ;)

Given enough time those heaven forsaken mean ole climbing spurs will prove to be the least offensive climbing option available. At least until I release the anti-gravity boots powered by t3ThRd!!!!

Nothing to do with climbing trees but tree damage that is interesting.....
Yesterday lightning struck a pine in my backyard. Light rain after it looked like the storm had passed.... BOOMIMG_20190630_200815_01.jpgIMG_20190630_200736_01.jpg
Lesson for the day.... If it's thundering get down out of the tree.

Anyway....
Back to wild edge steps killing trees

Can you say Pine Beatles all they need in an opening, may be real bad on the Pine forest. One of the first things I do when scouting is to see if someone is hunting the area, climbing marks.

When scouting, I see more damage from climbing tree stands then sticks. Some people really make the stands dig in every 6 - 8 inches up the tree.

Yesterday lightning struck a pine in my backyard. Light rain after it looked like the storm had passed.... BOOMView attachment 13127View attachment 13128

Anyway....

Beetles will be moving in very soon. Get that tree down as soon as possible. It is a dead tree now.

Yesterday lightning struck a pine in my backyard. Light rain after it looked like the storm had passed.... BOOMView attachment 13127View attachment 13128

Anyway....
Yeah right dude, everybody knows you climbed that tree exactly ONCE with spurs.

Back