• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is it just me or is...

20basstriton

Climbing a tree with a one stick alot of work? So far I haven't figured out how to get up easily with the one stick. It wears me out.
My setup is ewo ultimate platform with a 3 step aider. By the way I'm new to saddle hunting so take it easy on me.

Climbing a tree with a one stick alot of work? So far I haven't figured out how to get up easily with the one stick. It wears me out.
My setup is ewo ultimate platform with a 3 step aider. By the way I'm new to saddle hunting so take it easy on me.
Nah, but it did feel that way when I first started. Try to not over extend and try not to rush the movements. If you’re just starting out try using your lineman’s belt to climb the aiders, this will make it no different than climbing a regular stick with an aider. Other than that, get comfortable just sitting in the saddle with nothing under your feet. Being comfortable in this position is important in one sticking. Give it a little more time and practice. Good luck.

I’ve been trying to work 1 sticking into my repertoire for a while now but everytime I try it I’m a sweaty mess. I suspect it’s because if my pack on my back so going no forward I will leave pack on the ground and pull it up. We shall see…

I’ve been trying to work 1 sticking into my repertoire for a while now but everytime I try it I’m a sweaty mess. I suspect it’s because if my pack on my back so going no forward I will leave pack on the ground and pull it up. We shall see…
I use my repel rope to pull up my pack and my pulldown line to pull up my bow. One thing I was doing when I 1st started 1sticking was I fighting gravity as I climbed without even really realizing it. Make sure you are just hanging from your equipment and like mentioned dont over reach. Over reach and struggle for 3 moves or just do 4 easy moves. You will probably still be higher on the 4 easy moves. One last thing Ive found. Some climbs just go better then others.

Actually one-sticking is very easy. Mainly because as you advance up all you really need to do is step off your stick and hang and move your stick up. Once you're hanging you shouldn't have to use any other energy. The tether is doing all the heavy work. Then slip your foot into your aider and climb as normal. It is awkward at first. Just because it takes a few times to get your system and rope placement worked out.. If you are using the system correctly as far how you are sitting in the saddle when climbing, how high your tether is when climbing, as well as a few other important mechanics. You have to make sure you are putting all your trust in your equipment. What about your climbing experience made it feel so difficult? I find that for me, it was where to position myself on the tree in relation to where my stick was so I could move it without expending any energy. That took awhile but I did figure out where the sweet spot was. I normally don't go above 20 feet when I climb. So, I want to move to that height is as few moves as I can. I can climb 20 feet, comfortably in as little as 3 moves but, when hunting I slow down. I make precise moves. I will often stop when climbing to rest and look around and my moves will be smaller so it might take me 4 moves to get to hunting height. The key for me was switching out my 3 step aider to a 2 step aider.

Don't give up.
Every time you climb and every move you make, stop and identify the trouble.
You just need an order of operation.
One problem you might run into is moving the stik. It won't unclip easy unless you dislodge it first. I use my foot and a second cord that I hoist the stik up with to lossen the stik then unclip.
I find it helps to get sideways to bring my stik up.
I dont try to keep the cord that I cinch the stik with, around the tree. I unclip and drop it. It hangs up on bark. When I bring the stik up onto tree I hand the cord around and cinch it.
I use my other cord to hoist the stik up, I don't reach down for it. This cord is a saftey so I can't lose my stik, its clipped to my belt, premeasured so its not to long when I'm on the top step of my stik. Same thing with the cinch cord.
When I get on my lower step of the stik I move my tether up and take up the slack then I go onto my top step.
I move my tether as high as I can reach, and again take out the slack, sit and repeat.
I use a 3 step aider now to maximize my initial climb onto tree. After that you only use the two closest to the stik because you can only advance the stik to the tether.
I hope any of this helps.
If you pretend one stiking is the only way possible to climb a tree you will approach it with a more determined manner.
Good luck.

I ditto everything @Bigfoot522 just stated in post #6 with the exception of the three step aider and the tether height. I have found that I get more precise movements by advancing my tether when I'm on the bottom step of my EWO 15" Ultimate One Stick. When I was climbing to the platform and advancing my tether the distance was too high and I couldn't smoothly reach below to grab my pull handle and dislodge the stick. I have a two step aider on my UOS and I only use the platform when hunting.

One thing I did this year that was a small change but really has made a big difference.

I also have the EWO ultimate stick. I removed the cam and changed out the wire landyard/hand grab with a 24” nite eye’s.

this allows me to not have bend as far over to pull the stick up and unlatch. Less energy expended and I’m getting higher in less moves.

One sticking is also all about being consistent in your climb routine. Tether height, stick placement, etc…learn what works and repeat it.

And like other have said learning to trust your gear at 6’ is one thing but when your making that last placement at 20-25’ is another. Once you trust it, it get easy.

One thing I did this year that was a small change but really has made a big difference.

I also have the EWO ultimate stick. I removed the cam and changed out the wire landyard/hand grab with a 24” nite eye’s.

this allows me to not have bend as far over to pull the stick up and unlatch. Less energy expended and I’m getting higher in less moves.

One sticking is also all about being consistent in your climb routine. Tether height, stick placement, etc…learn what works and repeat it.

And like other have said learning to trust your gear at 6’ is one thing but when your making that last placement at 20-25’ is another. Once you trust it, it get easy.
What did you replace the cam with? Versa button?

Even a low fall can hurt bad dependi g on how you fall..
You can drown on a cup of water, one foot of water or below the thermocline.

When I read about multiple back ups, extra tethers and double hitch cords and auto blocks I agree that you should be safe and it begins with being comfortable in your system.

I also read into it a bit of distrust which stems from inexperience.
Four feet is like 20 feet.
Either your ropes and knots are adequate or they are not. Its that simple.
Do you drive with that once in a lifetime blow out on your mind, white knuckling the steering wheel?

My wife never learned to swim and she wouldn't trust her flotaion device to enjoy the water with us.
After I wrapped my arms around her and lay motionless and it floated us both, then she trusted it.

Why don't you hoist up #400 on your gear 5 feet and check on it several hours later?
Spending time on the rope and swing a bit it will get your fears to subside and then you can focus on climbing the tree the best you can.

Spending time on the rope and swing a bit it will get your fears to subside and then you can focus on climbing the tree the best you can.

100% agree with this. I was nervous with bolts I'm the beginning, I was nervous with one stick in the beginning. I've made probably 30 climbs with my one stick between practice and hunting. (20 ish practice climbs, and 10 ish hunts) I've learned a lot and still learn with each climb. Learned a few things out of last night's hunt.

Just take your time. I had a little 7pt buck walk right under me while I was in the middle of a move. Had my stick almost set and was about to fling the rope around the tree. Just hung there while he cruised right on by.

Don't give up.
Every time you climb and every move you make, stop and identify the trouble.
You just need an order of operation.
One problem you might run into is moving the stik. It won't unclip easy unless you dislodge it first. I use my foot and a second cord that I hoist the stik up with to lossen the stik then unclip.
I find it helps to get sideways to bring my stik up.
I dont try to keep the cord that I cinch the stik with, around the tree. I unclip and drop it. It hangs up on bark. When I bring the stik up onto tree I hand the cord around and cinch it.
I use my other cord to hoist the stik up, I don't reach down for it. This cord is a saftey so I can't lose my stik, its clipped to my belt, premeasured so its not to long when I'm on the top step of my stik. Same thing with the cinch cord.

I'm new to the whole saddle thing this yr and did some practice before season but started with 1 sticking out of the gate, already had LW sticks for 20 yrs. so I was very familiar with procedures. My rig is a shi1kar 14' 1 stick w/ a 2 step aider w/ a predator XL platform and a madrock w/ 35' of sterling canyon 8mm. It's been a learning curve and after hunting 12 times now I'm way more comfortable. Had some technical routine issues to work out but on my stick I use the schaefer cam and what I found is something like you do. I use a total of 12' of 8mm teufelberger 8mm tied below the cam with a scaffold knot with a stopper knot on the end. When I go to pull up my stick I use my foot under the top step but the stopper knot on the cam rope is tucked in the top of line man loop so I never lose the tail. Once I pop the rope off the cam I reach down to the nite eze that behind the top step and pull up as I flip the cam rope up. Resituate to the proper height and set for the next climb. I do have a small piece of bungee between the cam teeth and it makes ZERO noise on the flip to unsnap. This is what I just started doing the past 2 climbs and it seems to work very well for me. Like others have said finding that routine is what made it easier for me as I already had a routine for sticks yrs ago for set up and tear down and this is a more complex version.
I have only encountered 2 technical aspects concerning limbs on a double trunk near the height I wanted, but again since I already encounter these situations long ago it wasn't a big deal using a two rope system. The main issue is getting that one stick released quitely w/ no sweat effort. I think I'm about to get where I want to be.
I just don't like dealing with soaking wet trees. That a different clothing issue I have to work out. I have the gloves figured out already. Unlike most it seems I pretty much wear older columbia wool camo pants that have the cargo pockets. Gander used to sell them. I use a different base layers under depending on temp. Wool is quiet, warm and these have 3x thick knee pads and I also can use my cabelas old silent hide rain pants in substitution or over wool depending. Either way very quiet.
I will say even though I hunt private and public I have found that I will not ever leave hm w/o my saddle. I used it 3 times on private due to winds that were not right for a spot that I had no stand with in bow range where this big buck was gonna come out. Unfortunately I got in 10 min late and had to watch him walk by @ 30 yrds ... would have been my best.

Back