• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is one sticking quiet?

justlooking

I’m really torn between buying four of DanOs sticks or trying one sticking. For those of you who one stick, do you feel like you can be quiet with it? As in, setting up as close as possible to bedding quiet? Seemed like it might be a little noisy, but I love everything else about it. Thanks for the info!

No louder than any other method. If you take your time you can be pretty darn quiet depending on the tree type and bark. I think noise from your approach to the tree is more important than the climb itself imo. Less sticks equal less chances of metal on metal, non natural sounds.

Maybe this can help with your question. You can clearly hear my footsteps in the snow as I walk up and the sound of the creek about 10 yds away. Base your acceptable level of noise on that. To me its pretty quiet and I wasn't really trying to be especially quiet on this climb.

I have climbed with one stick less than 50 yards from bedded deer in dark and during daylight. I have spooked them on occasion, and no more frequently than with multiple sticks or any other climbing method. You will sound like a shrek when you start doing it. Only you can make the choice if that’s in your backyard or in the deer’s...

The more you do it the quieter you get! I have gotten to where one sticking is one of my quietest methods if I take my time! The key is not getting in a hurry just like other methods the faster you go the louder you are!!

How much of a work out is it? How much more extraneous is it than hanging multiple sticks?

How much of a work out is it? How much more extraneous is it than hanging multiple sticks?

It’s a trade off in my opinion.

I sweat a little one sticking but it’s less of a pain for carrying up multiple sticks.

I sweat less setting several sticks but it’s noisy and a pain to carry them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the info guys. I figured it was like any other system in that it’s as quiet or noisy as you make it. I’m real tempted with the one sticking thing, just nervous to take the plunge for some reason.

Appreciate the info guys. I figured it was like any other system in that it’s as quiet or noisy as you make it. I’m real tempted with the one sticking thing, just nervous to take the plunge for some reason.
Why don't you try one then get more if you dont like it.

Easy issue. Order one stick and give it a go... if not for you buy the rest

Like others have stated it’s a trade off like with all methods there’s pro’s and con.

Pro’s: Less carried gear, less weight, less bulk. Combine it with rappelling and in my opinion safer, faster descending ( especially in an emergency) can be tether and exit method again cutting gear.

Con’s: More exertion especially in south where I live equaling sweat . Can be slower, but others have shown it to be quite efficient and fast. With me I don’t get in a rush due to exertion, sweating and sound factors.

Maybe this can help with your question. You can clearly hear my footsteps in the snow as I walk up and the sound of the creek about 10 yds away. Base your acceptable level of noise on that. To me its pretty quiet and I wasn't really trying to be especially quiet on this climb.

That’s a good reference, thanks for the link!

Back