• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this safe?

Saw this video about making life lines. He's using double braided poly premium rope. Is that enough for a life line? Here's the link with the video.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/how-to-make-your-own-diy-deer-stand-safety-line/
1) in the category of "something" is better than "nothing" I would say...okay.

2) NO! A) prussic loop should be at least 2 sizes smaller than main rope in order to guaranty grabbing under load. You may end up simply just 'going to a ride' (ie 11mm main line, under 9mm prussic loop)

B) none of that rope is climbing rated. If you somehow were to fall out of a stand/saddle etc....you never know...maybe you are unconscious...hoe long you have to hang there. I'd want to ensure what ever ropes i use can handle the weight load. & you have no clue with that rope, is it static? Dynamic? How much does the diameter change under load? Etc.

C) all my prussic loops are tied with double fisherman's knots...overhand knot could potentially roll out with unknown rope.

D) who knows what friction is going to do to the sheath of that rope? Each time you slide the prussic up & down the rope even under no load, you create friction. It could get awfully slick in a hurry just a few times up n down ....then you fall and have a zip line instead of a life line.

Just mho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A short length of good rope isn't expensive. The cost difference is a couple cups of coffee why bother with crappy ropes when you can do it right for not much more?

Quality rope and prusik cord are around ,$.70-1 a foot.

It’s pretty simple to remove your prussik loop and take it with you. That would save a few bucks if you are setting up multiple lifelines but only use climbing rated gear.

Back