• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Issues I've had with the Predator Platform

Jay_Ohio

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Predator biting into the tree and staying solid over the course of a sit. When I setup it seems to cam over and bite well but after a few hours into the sit it definitely loosens up after some side pressure. I've had a few slips where I needed to change my pants afterwards. Now in full disclosure, I'm a bigger guy 260lbs, so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I'm not sure if the strap is stretching, or what. At any rate, I was actually looking at the design of the platform for a solution. What would you guys think about moving the platform up the post about 2", and adding a second versa button on the post below the platform with a second strap?

Would that work?

Thanks in advance

Camming platforms for use with a saddle are not ideal for several reasons. The old treesuit design is MUCH sturdier. I've put my 6'8", 350+ pound BIL on a diy aluminum one and after it settled about half an inch, it was like part of the tree.

Might want to look into replicating that

Im smaller than you but I get mine rock solid. I switched to a lone wolf strap cause I was having trouble getting the stock strap loose after camming. Im assuming you are using the stock strap and not daisy chain? This platform has been perfect for me

Before you cam platform over, make sure the strap as as tight as you can get it and then push it down as far as you can get it from the top of the post or bottom of the platform while it's mostly folded up. After you've pushed it down as far as it will go then you can start to cam it over.

I'm using an 1/8" Amsteel daisy chain and haven't had any issues with slippage (I'm about 215). But I have noticed that the stock standoff that comes with the Predator is very flat and in most trees only contacts with one or at most two of the teeth on each side. I just bought the Platform Post Bracket from @DanO (https://doublesteps.com/product/platform-post-bracket-1-1-4/), haven't tested it out yet but it looks promising in terms of increasing contact with the tree. I'll post an update after I've had a chance to test it out.

2cd3af4118f45671b817aadc99d60bd4.jpg
6fc20b1f81cf356a28843a097555d040.jpg

The best method I found is the "toe hook" after the platform loosens up all you need to do is stand on top of the standoff, hook the platform portion with your tow and fold closed. Then drive the post downward and re-cam the platform.

The most important part is getting the strap tight initially.

If it is rock solid when you start but gets looser over time I woul think it has to be the strap loosening up in some way. You didn't say but I assume you are using the stock strap. Maybe the cam buckle is slipping a little over time? I would try a new strap before I modified the platform or added more straps.

The best method I found is the "toe hook" after the platform loosens up all you need to do is stand on top of the standoff, hook the platform portion with your tow and fold closed. Then drive the post downward and re-cam the platform.

The most important part is getting the strap tight initially.

If you do this with a Gen1 platform you stand a good chance of breaking it. I can't speak for the Gen2, but I would be hesitant to do so.

If you do this with a Gen1 platform you stand a good chance of breaking it. I can't speak for the Gen2, but I would be hesitant to do so.
Good point, I use the Gen 2 and haven't had any problems. I have no experience with Gen 1 but I do know they are prone to breaking with heavier people and more pressure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I use a piece of amsteel with an eye splice as my strap replacement... kind of like a rope mod on sticks. I wrap it twice around the button, then throw a little half hitch in it as a just in case. This has helped on very small trees where the versa strap wouldn’t give me enough adjustability. Not uncommon for me to hunt softball and smaller trees. The kind where leaning a new direction leans the tree with you

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

If it is rock solid when you start but gets looser over time I woul think it has to be the strap loosening up in some way. You didn't say but I assume you are using the stock strap. Maybe the cam buckle is slipping a little over time? I would try a new strap before I modified the platform or added more straps.

Yes I’m using the stock strap and yes it starts out solid after using all the methods discussed here. I do a lot of all day sits and after a few hours and putting side pressure on it I get slippage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using an 1/8" Amsteel daisy chain and haven't had any issues with slippage (I'm about 215). But I have noticed that the stock standoff that comes with the Predator is very flat and in most trees only contacts with one or at most two of the teeth on each side. I just bought the Platform Post Bracket from @DanO (https://doublesteps.com/product/platform-post-bracket-1-1-4/), haven't tested it out yet but it looks promising in terms of increasing contact with the tree. I'll post an update after I've had a chance to test it out.

2cd3af4118f45671b817aadc99d60bd4.jpg
6fc20b1f81cf356a28843a097555d040.jpg

I definitely like the looks of that standoff better. Please update after you get some use with it.

There have been issues with the strap... Watch around 3:37

Yasssss! That replicated my problem exactly. Only difference is that mine tends to slip over time and after I apply side pressure.

The type of bark also comes into play. Thick, soft bark starts to get chewed up a bit after a while. Essentially, the tree gets "smaller" due to the standoff teeth tearing it up. I see that happening with my practice tree (soft barked black walnut) in my yard.
We set some stands on beech trees and that didn't happen.
And once the bark gets divots, it seems like the stand seems to want to settle back into the same exact spot even with light toe hooking.

The type of bark also comes into play. Thick, soft bark starts to get chewed up a bit after a while. Essentially, the tree gets "smaller" due to the standoff teeth tearing it up. I see that happening with my practice tree (soft barked black walnut) in my yard.
We set some stands on beech trees and that didn't happen.
And once the bark gets divots, it seems like the stand seems to want to settle back into the same exact spot even with light toe hooking.

Interesting. Well that’s possible, most of the trees I setup in are soft Maple, but I do have the same problem in Oak trees. I think it has more to do with the buckle on the strap. I’m going to swap out to a Lone Wolf and try it.

Back