• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

It's official - this MN guy is going with a saddle.

lardy125

Hi all,

I think I lucked out. I found a brand-new (still in the unopened package) leather trophyline on CL for $150. I hope that's a good deal??? It's the one that says "Will Hunt For Food" on the saddle which is kind of mehhh in my opinion, but not the end of the world. I'll get a rope tether and linemans belt, probably a ropeman 1 as well, but does anyone have any other suggestions to improve this one right off the bat? Boy am I excited for hunting season! 50 days and counting!

Attachments

• saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 45
nice find, and welcome from another Minnesota Resident...

Edit: If you haven't bought the ropeman 1 yet I'd suggest picking up a ropeman 2. It can be used on a wider selection of ropes than the 1 and I found one cheaper than a ropeman 1.

nice find, and welcome from another Minnesota Resident...

Edit: If you haven't bought the ropeman 1 yet I'd suggest picking up a ropeman 2. It can be used on a wider selection of ropes than the 1 and I found one cheaper than a ropeman 1.

I've read about issues with the ropeman 2 chewing up ropes due to the smaller teeth...are those concerns unwarranted?

Welcome from NE Missouri. I prefer the Ropeman 1 with my 11mm Bluewater assault line. If you use the Ropeman 2 you will need HTP or similar or it will gnaw your rope up with the fine teeth. You can use rope down to 8mm with the RM-2, though. Nice find on the saddle!

I've read about issues with the ropeman 2 chewing up ropes due to the smaller teeth...are those concerns unwarranted?

Welcome. I’m in Victoria.

As for Ropeman 2, it depends on the rope sheath. The teeth are really sharp and there’s a lot of them. Absolutely shredded my ropes. Definitely Ropeman 1 for lineman’s belt.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't put a lot of hang time in the rope that I just bought yet but based on my initial testing and usage I don't think it's going to tear through any tether or Linesmens belt in a few seasons at a minimum with pretty heavy usage. Here's a few close up pictures of mine

I haven't put a lot of hang time in the rope that I just bought yet but based on my initial testing and usage I don't think it's going to tear through any tether or Linesmens belt in a few seasons at a minimum with pretty heavy usage. Here's a few close up pictures of mine

Awesome. I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like, so my ropes probably won't get super heavy usage anyway. Thanks for posting that picture!

Back