• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I've made up my mind.... Change it.

ekelsey15

Alright. I think I've decided to make the jump (later this year). I have been looking at this forum for a little while now and have finally decided that when I get some money at the end of the year I am going to buy a saddle. I've decided that I want to go with the Aero Kestrel and the wild edge stepp ladder.

Here are the reasons for my choice:
Aero has been around longer. Allowing them to work out any kinks (no offense to Tethrd)
The mesh seems like it will keep me colder vs the cordura that will keep me warmer. (I get cold easy)
I am not concerned about the slight difference in weight as I am currently carrying a summit climber and that is a PIA.
I do not currently have much if any private land to hunt and like the option to wear in the saddle vs carry in a stand. From what I read it sound like the Mantis isn't super friendly to wearing it in due to the leg straps. (can't remember where I saw this)
the WE ladder seams to allow me a bit more freedom with distance between steps. I plan to use the swaider and the knaider (if I can get one of you awesome DIYers to make them for me.. ) So I can potentially leave up a few steps in some locations..
Last of all it seams that the buying options are just easier through aero since its all one package and not add-ons.

Overall from the reviews I've seen and read the Kestrel is a better fit for me than the mantis.

Now what I want is for you to try to change my mind. Maybe I missed something, maybe I am wrong about something. I am not looking to bash either company, just trying to make the right decision from the start rather than wasting money. Since you all have more experience than I do, I value your opinion and input.

Thanks!

I have the same exact set up you are looking to purchase. A Kestrel and WE steps. I actually prefer the cordura of the kestrel. It is a little heavier, but a solid design and it does add to keeping me warm once it gets colder.

The WE steps are also fantastic. I can put them in my backpack along with my saddle and easily carry everything to the stand site. It does take some time to get used to setting up the steps, so practice. Also make sure you stretch out the ropes on them when you first get them. Place them on a tree in your yard nice and tight and leave them there for a day or 2. Really helps a ton when you get to hunting with them.

Never been in one of these saddles yet but I based my kestrel decision on the same reasoning. Time tested. I'll look at the mantis in a couple of years after tetherd and I have more seat time. There will likely be some new "innovations" from both of these companies by then as they compete for market share. :)

Just a heads up the wild edge steps are 8-12 weeks out. I ordered the 3 piece add on for a platform and found out.

As far as a saddle I was looking at both the Kestral and the Mantis. I bought the sitdrag to get buy until later but I dont think I will be switching. I like the safety of the rock harness and my sitdrag stays stored in a pouch until I get my tether and platform up. If I did get another saddle. It will be the mantis just for packability.

I am still very new at this but coming from an API superslam (or super something. I can't ever remember) I wont be going back to that. I was actually able to take a short nap in my setup yesterday. It's nice to have branches to stretch out on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just a heads up the wild edge steps are 8-12 weeks out. I ordered the 3 piece add on for a platform and found out.

As far as a saddle I was looking at both the Kestral and the Mantis. I bought the sitdrag to get buy until later but I dont think I will be switching. I like the safety of the rock harness and my sitdrag stays stored in a pouch until I get my tether and platform up. If I did get another saddle. It will be the mantis just for packability.

I am still very new at this but coming from an API superslam (or super something. I can't ever remember) I wont be going back to that. I was actually able to take a short nap in my setup yesterday. It's nice to have branches to stretch out on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am not looking to use this until next hunting season. So the leadtime shouldn't be an issue. I don't find rock climbing harnesses to be comfortable. I can't imagine sitting in one for hours..

I’m not going to try and change your mind because I don’t have a kestrel to compare but I’ll offer food for thought. If you only hunt cold weather you may not need a modular saddle and be totally happy with the warmth of the cordura but if you do hunt warmer temps it may be nice to have a cooler option. As far as weight savings, people seem to be gravitating to the mantis not only for weight savings but reduction in bulk. While weight may not be an issue, bulk may. You can still buy a mantis kit, but you get to choose your options with exception of bridge. I like this. I compare it to bow packages. You can buy a ready to go bow with everything, but I’d rather choose my accessories. Wild edge steps are rock solid when set properly. They do however take more practice to set up than sticks. If you don’t have time to practice you may want to go with sticks. Good luck with your decision. Good thing is no matter what your decision they are all good products and seem to hold their value real well if you decide to sell for something else.

I’m not going to try and change your mind because I don’t have a kestrel to compare but I’ll offer food for thought. If you only hunt cold weather you may not need a modular saddle and be totally happy with the warmth of the cordura but if you do hunt warmer temps it may be nice to have a cooler option. As far as weight savings, people seem to be gravitating to the mantis not only for weight savings but reduction in bulk. While weight may not be an issue, bulk may. You can still buy a mantis kit, but you get to choose your options with exception of bridge. I like this. I compare it to bow packages. You can buy a ready to go bow with everything, but I’d rather choose my accessories. Wild edge steps are rock solid when set properly. They do however take more practice to set up than sticks. If you don’t have time to practice you may want to go with sticks. Good luck with your decision. Good thing is no matter what your decision they are all good products and seem to hold their value real well if you decide to sell for something else.
I hunt Indiana. Not typically too warm up here as hunting season doesn't start until Oct. and typically it started to get cold. I can deal with the heat better than I deal with the cold, but thanks for the thoughts. I've gone through the process of "buying" both setups online and they look pretty similar also I don't know much about what I don't know about. So until I get it and figure it out, I can't really say what I want to add or remove.

The WE steps are also fantastic. I can put them in my backpack along with my saddle and easily carry everything to the stand site. It does take some time to get used to setting up the steps, so practice. Also make sure you stretch out the ropes on them when you first get them. Place them on a tree in your yard nice and tight and leave them there for a day or 2. Really helps a ton when you get to hunting with them.

There was noticeable improvement (in my head?) when I finally got around to stretching the ropes of my WE Stepps. Loving them now.

consider that when fingers and equipment get cold they also get less co-operative, and untying 3 sticks is a lot more comfortable and frost bite friendly that 12 steps...

consider that when fingers and equipment get cold they also get less co-operative, and untying 3 sticks is a lot more comfortable and frost bite friendly that 12 steps...
Fair point. I also have something called renalds syndrome or some crap that make my hands and feet get super cold because of the capilaries or something... anyway. So I saw the Primal Steps which are similar to the WE but use a strap rather than a rope. Has anyone changed out the rope to a strap? Is it better? Is it worse?

She is going to give you some weird looks when she comes home to find you dangling on the end of a string...."You're doing what now???" LOL!
She already gets aggravated because it consumes my life. And fall is our busiest time of the year. Plus scouting and prepping etc.. its a whole year thing.

She already gets aggravated because it consumes my life. And fall is our busiest time of the year. Plus scouting and prepping etc.. its a whole year thing.
Been married to The Boss Hen for 14 years and we only had one sit down discussion on hunting early on. I told her that I had been hunting before she came along, and I would be hunting after she was gone and that pretty much ended any other talk of the matter. Now she practically pushes me out the door~!

Been married to The Boss Hen for 14 years and we only had one sit down discussion on hunting early on. I told her that I had been hunting before she came along, and I would be hunting after she was gone and that pretty much ended any other talk of the matter. Now she practically pushes me out the door~!
I can't wait to get to that point... lol I've tried to get her to join me. She has no interest.

I dont think walking in the Mantis is bad if you hook the leg straps to the waist belt. Its horrible to walk in if you hook them to he lower points on the saddle. The fixed bridge can catch on my heliums coming down if I dont pay attention. Got my recliner and micro adjusters so I am hoping that will help with some more comfort but the first time I used it I sat for almost 4 hours with the only issue of having it ride up. I would love to try the Kestrel some time just to see if I prefer one over the other.

I had that discussion with my wife before we got married. That way there was no surprise and she knows what to expect from October thru January. She wanted an October wedding and I told her not going to happen because I would be gone for every anniversary. She agreed to a September wedding with the understanding that if I ever go elk hunting I might not be around for our anniversary. I now keep a greeting card in my glove box and will drop it in the mail when I will be gone hunting for days at a time. Makes her happy when she gets it and gives me points:tonguewink:

I can't wait to get to that point... lol I've tried to get her to join me. She has no interest.
asked mine once she told me that she would tell me if she ever got ready. She never has gone, and that's fine, but she will cook anything I kill and clean and does a dang fine job of it. Once when she was trying to learn how to make gravy she burned it terribly and she asked me how it was. I told her it was aweful. My buddy's eyes went wide. I looked at him and said "If you want burnt gravy your whole life then don't say anything" Don't get me wrong the ninja loves and respects the boss hen.

Back