• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jason Hrelec 2019 buck story

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
This Jason Hrelec has become a seriously consistent big buck killer from the tough state of Pa. as this is the 9th buck pic he’s sent me in as many seasons, congrats Jason. This was Jason's first season in a saddle.

John

Tuesday Oct. 22nd after a heavy rain storm I headed out to a bedding area spot that I had prepped from the sign I found during post season 2018. This was my second time hunting this location and my first time using a saddle.

Approximately an hour into the hunt I had a large doe and fawn approach slowly out of the bedding area from my right. Both passed within 10 yards and because I was using a saddle with a ring of steps, I was easily able to move and hide behind the tree enabling them to pass by without spotting me in the tree.

After they disappeared I saw another large bodied deer heading towards me on the same trail as the doe and fawn. When the deer put his head up I noticed it was a buck with heavy tall antlers...definitely mature. Because he was approaching from my right I was able to slowly move around the tree to my strong side for a 20 yard shot. After my arrow hit him behind the shoulder he ran 10 yards and stopped to look around to see what had just happened.

He slowly moved into thick cover where he ended up expiring. I just wanted to thank you for all the advice through the years and helping me transition from conventional tree stands into a saddle. There is no way I could have stayed hidden from the doe and fawn then move into position for a shot if I was not in a the saddle.

I’m a veteran bow hunter as you know but am a first time saddle hunter because of you. I suggest to every hunter to give it a try, figure things out and become a more dangerous hunter than you may already be. I will only be using this style of hunting from now on and I have hunted out of tree stands for 28 years. Hunting heavily pressured whitetails in western Pennsylvania is not easy but this style of hunting will definitely help in the years to come and you can never have too many advantages over these big mature bucks.

P.S. We spoke on the phone a couple of weeks ago and you gave me some pointers on how to get comfortable in the mantis saddle.

Thanks again and hope the arm is feeling better. *9 mature bucks in as many years in pressured areas since reading your books and watching your DVD's*

Jason Hrelec – Pa.

Attachments

• Jason Hrelec - 2019 buck pic.jpg
    Jason Hrelec - 2019 buck pic.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 40
Back