• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jerky

iamcorey

I have one of the Cabela's Harvester five tray dehydrators. I've always just dried the mess out of the meat and sliced it super thin. Now I have a more picky palate in the house I'm trying to impress. She wants a meatier not as dry jerky. Is there a magic formula to cutting and cook time/temps to achieve this without killing someone with botulism? My dehydrator just has a hi/med/low setting. I can try to find the instructions if success depends on cook temps.

Are you using ground or cut meat?

Thicker slices will give you the results you’re looking for. Also, try dehydrating different thickness of slices while using the same temp & time. Have her try each thickness out to see if it’s her liking.

To make slicing easier, I usually slice my meat half frozen. More consistent slices with less give of the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using cut meat. I’m starting to experiment with the thickness of the cut. What’s a good way to make sure that it’s been cooked long enough when using a thicker cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just try a piece every so often. I dry mine at 145 for 8-10 hrs sliced about 1/4" thick. My dehydrator is very even drying,so all trays are equal. You might need a little less time if you want the jerky less crisp. I keep it in the fridge after drying.

Just make sure the meat hits 165 deg before drying and you should be good.

Refrigerate meat to defrost don’t defrost at room temperature

If you’re still unsure, use curing salt

See you in a tree, Ricky

Back