• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John Eberhart- inquiry on Scentlok suits and boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
This thread is about an inquiry I had today that I've answered many times before yet never posted on SaddleHunter. The type of ScentLok suits used is very important to remaining scent free so to ScentLok users I am adding it as a thread.

Subject: Re: Scent control inquiry from a hunter this morning

Thank you John for your reply and the ScentLok information you sent and I have two questions

1. Do you store your boots in a scent free tote and do you worry about them contracting any foreign odors? (What comes to the mind is the fabric part above the rubber on the muck boots).

Answer: As long as they don't come into contact with anything when in back of truck or vehicle, they're fine. I just keep them in the back of my van in the open. It is imperative however that they have all the new rubber or neoprene odors be gone as I leave mine in a garage for at least a year before I will wear them hunting. Or you can use them when scouting which will help rid of the odor.

2. In regards to your scent lok garments, I understand the carbon liner absorbs odors, but do you worry about the fabric on the exterior fabric of the jacket contracting foreign odors? Is the carbon really able to take care of this? (what comes to mind is changing in a vehicle). Though the carbon is taking care of the odor inside of the jacket, can’t the outside become contaminated?

Answer: Excellent question. In the past few years ScentLok has been coming out with a lot of exterior suits with windproof and or waterproof polyurethane membranes in them and they have to be treated a bit differently than lets say a Savanna or Full Season suits which are permeable (allow air flow through the entire suit). With all ScentLok suits with membranes (windproof or waterproof) the carbon liner is on the body side (inside) of the membrane and therefore the lack of air flow through the membrane doesn't allow the carbon to do its job in adsorbing odor molecules from the exterior fabric. For these membrane suits it's imperative to treat them with a little more care and make sure to keep the exterior fabric from getting odors on it. While the ScentLok suit is being de-adsorbed in the dryer the exterior fabric will be become pristine again. While ScentLok suits should not be worn while driving, with these suits it's a bit more important.

With ScentLok's permeable exterior suits (any suits without a membrane) the carbon will adsorb odor molecules from the exterior fabric because the molecules on the exterior fabric will be attracted to the activated carbon and then be adsorbed. Through the 1400 degree and under pressure heating procedure to make activated carbon, the surface area of the activated carbon becomes charged, meaning it has electrons that readily interact with surrounding molecules in the immediate environment. So with a permeable suit there is a little less worry about the exterior fabric having and holding odors on it.

Something else that I've wanted to say (and have to several hunter inquiries) is that the more permeable the suit, the more chance there is for odor molecules to pass through it before the activated carbon can do its entire job of adsorption. The Savanna suit for instance is the most permeable due to its light and very permeable exterior fabric and in high wind situations there will be some odor molecules that pass through the liner without being adsorbed due to its high permeability rate and the wind blowing air through it. In still or light wind situations it's not a factor.

With the Full Season Tactix and any other permeable suit beyond it (weather wise) the exterior fabric is heavy enough that it will contain the odors long enough for adsorption under any wind conditions.

A few years back ScentLok used to use the exact same carbon liner in their BaseLayers undergarments that they did in their exterior suits. In still conditions a hunter could have wore the lightest weight BaseLayer garment and been fine hunting even though he or she would have looked like a ballerina in the tree as they fit like tights. I did I a few times.

However ScentLok never advertised that the BaseLayers had the same liner because they didn't want hunters in warm weather climates to use it only while hunting because the lightweight Baselayer was extremely permeable and in windy situations would allow too much odor to pass through before the carbon could adsorb it.

ScentLok (owns the US Patent on using activated carbon in hunting garments and that's why other brands use inferior technologies) is an amazing and incredible product and once a hunter learns how to properly care for and store it, what to use in conjunction with it, and how to use it in the field, sightings and kill opportunities go up, BIG TIME!

ScentLok and its function for hunting can't be argued to me so to those that don't believe in it, please save your verbiage, energy and lack of knowledge of technology for something you can defend. I've hunted for over 50 seasons, 35 before ScentLok and 18 while properly using it, and definitely without question or hesitation came testify to its effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back