• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JRB Tree Climbing Method

GetHomeSafe

Have any of you climbed using the JRB tree climbing method (youtube)? If so I have a question. Lots of trees where I live have limbs -some dead, or limb stubs, from 10' up to 40' or more before live limbs finally start way up. Red pines, white pines, poplar. Did not seem like this method girth hitched the main line onto the trunk. Many trees here have limbs not safe for body weight, they would work fine for throw lines but not holding body weight. Is there a way to use this method under these conditions? Thank you all for your collective expertise and experience.

Last edited:
I would think climbing pines and similar trees with small and weak limbs would be a no no for any kind of rope climbing that would require attaching to a limb. Our southern pines don’t have limbs until about 30’ so if you use a pole to lift your rope up the main tree and girth hitch it to the main tree you can easily SRT up. I think @bj139 has climbed doing something similar. I have once or twice myself.

I watched the video of the JRB climbing and it looks like a major pain. I guess if you wanted the redundancy than that’s the ticket but other than that it looks difficult, loud and time consuming. The quickest and simplest climbing I have found was with drt with a tender and an ascender with a loop. All you had to do is stand then progress the ascender.

DRT pretty much requires being over a limb unless you could push a pulley up the tree on a girth hitch. The JRB method looks quieter since it eliminates a lot of the hardware. I like the hardware in SRT for safety reasons. I tried DRT and didn't see any advantage over SRT for saddle hunting.
Here is how I do it SRT.

I watched the video of the JRB climbing and it looks like a major pain. I guess if you wanted the redundancy than that’s the ticket but other than that it looks difficult, loud and time consuming. The quickest and simplest climbing I have found was with drt with a tender and an ascender with a loop. All you had to do is stand then progress the ascender.
I have never tried DRT. I have watched videos. The ones I saw, the climber was more horizontal and kind of thrusting their hips. It looked uncomfortable for a guy like me with two bulging discs. My back has been great, both strength and pain free, and I work with it all the time in stretching and exercise. But I try to be careful with things that look like my back might not like it. Maybe I need to watch other DRT vids, I will look for some. I don't feel a need for redundancy, proper equipment I feel is trustworthy for us, assuming we are using it correctly, knots etc. Thank you for you expertise. God Bless. Good hunting, Stay safe.

DRT pretty much requires being over a limb unless you could push a pulley up the tree on a girth hitch. The JRB method looks quieter since it eliminates a lot of the hardware. I like the hardware in SRT for safety reasons. I tried DRT and didn't see any advantage over SRT for saddle hunting.
Here is how I do it SRT.
Thank you so much for your help and the video. I will watch it and learn all that I can.

JRB on a 7.1mm rooe. I cut it down to 98 ft and it weighs around 3lb and I could climb to over 40 feet on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JRB on a 7.1mm rooe. I cut it down to 98 ft and it weighs around 3lb and I could climb to over 40 feet on it.

can’t watch YouTube’s, what 7.1mm half rope are you using?

can’t watch YouTube’s, what 7.1mm half rope are you using?
Elelrid Skimmer is the rope. Bought it last fall but was too busy with higher priorities!

Hey brother. We have a few different threads going on my JRB method and I meant to reply to THIS one but it looks like I missed it. Comments like yours help motivate me to try to find a way to explain via video how easy JRB actually is. Did you get a chance to watch this? I made it a few weeks ago just to demonstrate on a take 1 situation on something i have never attempted before. Now lets compare this to DRT.... DRT is terribly inefficient due to the amount of friction of a rope grinding through a crotch. It's also harder if we can't get hip thrust, which is typical on a leaner or at the base of a tree where we're not being pulled very hard against it. I don't believe i could execute this on any other climbing system. I can engage all 4 limbs into lifting my body. Let me know if this helps convince ya that its viable. Or let me know what ya meant by being a pain in the butt. Did you mean building the system? Or climbing on it? Cuz the climbing part is definitely something I wanna help explain better if ya still aren't convinced. Cheers

Have any of you climbed using the JRB tree climbing method (youtube)? If so I have a question. Lots of trees where I live have limbs -some dead, or limb stubs, from 10' up to 40' or more before live limbs finally start way up. Red pines, white pines, poplar. Did not seem like this method girth hitched the main line onto the trunk. Many trees here have limbs not safe for body weight, they would work fine for throw lines but not holding body weight. Is there a way to use this method under these conditions? Thank you all for your collective expertise and experience.
Hey... just catching up here... your question is one I have been working on cuz have been asked the same question by a buddy in the Georgia pines! Currently the answer is no... all rope climbing methods (SRT, DRT or JRB) need an anchor or rigging point in the canopy. As i know it, the only rope climbing method that does not require one is my JRB Hitch Climbing method. ( I'm also working on improving that.)

Back on your question... i am working on a way to is this: how to install an anchor around the trunk up in the canopy... all done from the ground ... and then use the same JRB climbing system to climb.... and ensure its all retrievable. I have done it but only a few times. I try not to release vids on new ideas until i tested the hell out of em. But i expect to have a solution for ya.

Hey brother. We have a few different threads going on my JRB method and I meant to reply to THIS one but it looks like I missed it. Comments like yours help motivate me to try to find a way to explain via video how easy JRB actually is. Did you get a chance to watch this? I made it a few weeks ago just to demonstrate on a take 1 situation on something i have never attempted before. Now lets compare this to DRT.... DRT is terribly inefficient due to the amount of friction of a rope grinding through a crotch. It's also harder if we can't get hip thrust, which is typical on a leaner or at the base of a tree where we're not being pulled very hard against it. I don't believe i could execute this on any other climbing system. I can engage all 4 limbs into lifting my body. Let me know if this helps convince ya that its viable. Or let me know what ya meant by being a pain in the butt. Did you mean building the system? Or climbing on it? Cuz the climbing part is definitely something I wanna help explain better if ya still aren't convinced. Cheers

John, it’s me. I’ve discussed JRB with you for like the passes 6 months since you first introduced it. Kinda dissapointing you don’t remember all the back and forth and discussion I brought to your threads.

I have tried and currently utilize JRB. My initial thoughts above were accurate concerning the early videos you had. You had tons of extra redundancy that I found noisy, bulky, confusing, difficult to climb etc. or pain in the butt. You had 4 Michoacán’s and you needed to stand up and push one set up then sit down, push the other set up up, then you could progress the Garda. I didnt like the boat clips and I feel like they were noisey and clumsey. I don’t want to go into describing everything as I’m texting on a phone but I will say that most of those issues can be fleshed out or have already been fleshed out with your newer videos. Your first JRB climbing set up looks a lot different today.

That said, the way I climb is extremely simple. 100ft of half rope with 2 Michoacán’s and a Garda foot loop. I do use a secondary bridge which makes it easy to transfer over for rappel etc. It is a nice tight package and is easy enough to set up, climb, and rappel on safely.

1233A7C4-D9B2-4644-BC75-E301D73722BC.jpeg

John, it’s me. I’ve discussed JRB with you for like the passes 6 months since you first introduced it. Kinda dissapointing you don’t remember all the back and forth and discussion I brought to your threads.

I have tried and currently utilize JRB. My initial thoughts above were accurate concerning the early videos you had. You had tons of extra redundancy that I found noisy, bulky, confusing, difficult to climb etc. or pain in the butt. You had 4 Michoacán’s and you needed to stand up and push one set up then sit down, push the other set up up, then you could progress the Garda. I didnt like the boat clips and I feel like they were noisey and clumsey. I don’t want to go into describing everything as I’m texting on a phone but I will say that most of those issues can be fleshed out or have already been fleshed out with your newer videos. Your first JRB climbing set up looks a lot different today.

That said, the way I climb is extremely simple. 100ft of half rope with 2 Michoacán’s and a Garda foot loop. I do use a secondary bridge which makes it easy to transfer over for rappel etc. It is a nice tight package and is easy enough to set up, climb, and rappel on safely.

View attachment 63566
Sorry... of course i recognized your handle... but what confused me is that i got mixed up on the date... i thought your comments was Jan 2022, not 2021. I was just skimming threads and forgot there were 2 on this. No problem.

Sorry... of course i recognized your handle... but what confused me is that i got mixed up on the date... i thought your comments was Jan 2022, not 2021. I was just skimming threads and forgot there were 2 on this. No problem.

For the record I would recommend JRB to people, it would just be my take on JRB! Haha

Back