• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JRB's Non-mechanical SRT

John RB

Friends,
The first 10+ years of my saddle hunting career, I was a DRT/MRS climber. Then I started doing some SRT climbing. All of these methods can be accomplished with non-mechanical systems, just rope, cord and carabiners. With SRT, I was not a fan of the process of setting an anchor and retrieving it. It didn't take long to figure out that the anchor setting can be skipped entirely if I use a doubled-stationary (DSRT) climb and so that is my preferred climbing method that I use on most of my hunts... and there's a separate thread on that. But what I have learned from others in the last couple of years is that there are some scenarios where SRT has the edge over DSRT. Situations include:
1. It's a complex tree with a lot of branches, and there are multiple branches between the lines. In this case, we use a basal anchor and SRT climb.
2. We want to get in a different position on the tree than under the crotch. This is a good time to canopy anchor and capture the trunk so we can pick our spot to climb.
3. Ya didn't have enough rope for DSRT. If the only crotch was 40ft high and we had 75ft of rope, that's a good time to convert the DSRT system to SRT. We only climb as high as we want to hunt of course.
4. The climber prefers SRT. For whatever reason. It's an easier ascent in SRT than DSRT, with less technique, especially for a bigger person, and so that's reason enough.

So I made a "Non Mechanical SRT Playlist" on the JRB Tree Climbing channel, and I will leave links to the videos that are on it, as I address specific scenarios. There are different potential system designs which the climber has to choose based on their comfort level and knot tying ability. I have a few more scenarios in progress, but if you have specific "scenarios" that you would like me to address, please let me know and I will try to get to it. Although my season is opening next week and so I hope to spend most of my time hunting!

Thanks John. Your channel is amazing. I've been using your systems for 3 seasons now. Switched to SRT fully now because of your playlist on SRT. Just picked up some APE CANYON OUTFITTERS 9.5MM GHILLIE to use with my new system.

This exactly why I have been carrying 50 ft of 8mm with two hitches that live on there rent free at all times. I have the option to throw it up and over a limb and do a double stationary rope climb if it’s 30ft limb or less, or if the limb is higher or not large enough I can set a canopy anchor and climb a single rope SRT, or if it is a very dense tree I can create a basal anchor and also climb SRT. I also use this combo to rappel by making a simply alpine butterfly, using the second half of the rope as the pull down.

Good job at demonstrating some of the other ways to skin the cat. There’s lots of ways to climb with a rope, a couple carabiners, and a couple of hitches. I love the flexibility to address most of the trees that I come across where I hunt.

Last edited:
Scenario 4 is the one that so many were waiting on: the ability to capture the trunk along with the crotch. I can't recommend doing this on a dead branch, only a live branch, simply because even though we do capture the trunk, the bulk of our load is being held by the tree crotch and there is no guarantee that we won't move if that dead branch breaks while we are climbing on it. I also am not a fan of getting sap (or pitch) on my climbing ropes and so try to avoid using this technique in a sappy pine or spruce or similar conifer.

Scenario 5 shows a tree that most climbers would think they simply can't get a rope cinched around the trunk because of all the branches. I surveyed the tree first, and selected a crotch in a position from which I could flip my line OVER the interfering branches and set my anchor around the trunk.

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

I have been busy hunting lately, but have 5 tags filled now and finally had a little time to get this one done. Now, with the basic tools in the toolbox, we can do some cool things. The dead branch doesn't support the climber. It just helps get the rope in the tree.

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

Back