• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jumping into a Saddle - South Louisiana

BayouToad

Been fighting the urge for years, finally broke. I hunt strictly public lands, in and out. Rarely hunt the same spot two days in a row. Dragging these hang-on's around for about 10 years now. I'm ready to lose the weight, bulk, and limiting factors of the hang on. I've been doing everything that I'll be doing saddle hunting except hanging from a tether instead of just being attached to it.

Ordered the Overwatch Transformer and Tree Suit platform. I can hunt here in places until Feb. 15th, so it may or may not happen this year. Thankful for this forum to get me over the treestand only mentality. Looking forward to it!

Been fighting the urge for years, finally broke. I hunt strictly public lands, in and out. Rarely hunt the same spot two days in a row. Dragging these hang-on's around for about 10 years now. I'm ready to lose the weight, bulk, and limiting factors of the hang on. I've been doing everything that I'll be doing saddle hunting except hanging from a tether instead of just being attached to it.

Ordered the Overwatch Transformer and Tree Suit platform. I can hunt here in places until Feb. 15th, so it may or may not happen this year. Thankful for this forum to get me over the treestand only mentality. Looking forward to it!
Welcome from north east Florida. You’re definitely in the right place!!! And in my opinion, you made the right choice :sweatsmile: I am not spreading any hate for hang on stands, but I find saddle to be pretty comfy, definitely lighter and you can hunt a wider array of trees. Before you rush off into the woods, I would recommend you practice some in your yard a few feet off the ground. Saddles support your weight differently than a stand does and you need to adjust to those new pressure points. Saddles also have a lot of adjustments (and you picked the ultimate adjustable saddle) so you’ll want time dialing it in and seeing how those adjustments change the feel of the saddle. Also shooting from a saddle is a little different as well! Looking forward to hearing about your progress and first saddle kills!!!

I had similar experience with the bulk, went to the saddle last year and never looked back. I hunt public lands here in south East Texas . Good luck with your hunt

Welcome from Prairieville Louisiana! I grew up hunting on Tensas NWR and private land adjoining refuge. Now I hunt mostly private north of refuge but still in Madison Parish. What public lands are you hunting?

I was born and raised in St. Amant so I know exactly. I hunt Maurepas but sort of hate it. Hunted Bodcau for about 12-15 years, used to hunt Jackson-Bienville until it closed and became private. Mostly hunt Kisatchie now, with a little Tunica and Cat Island.

I lived in Zachary for a few years. When I would have a short day I’d go to Cat Island and shoot squirrels. It’s full of black squirrels. Have you ever checked out Sicily Island refuge? It’s directly across the Quachita river from Beouf WMA. I know Beouf has a great deer population and some buddies shoot bucks every season during the bucks only hunt on Saline. That hunt is close to rut in that area. They say the refuge is vacant of hunters for that buck only hunt after the open rifle hunt. I mentioned the Saline because it’s hilly like Tunica. I’ve never hunted the piney areas like Kisatchie, always stayed in the delta lands. Buckhorn is north of Newelton and Cocodries is south of Vidalia.Those are two refuges that have always interested me but I’m too lazy to leave my comfort zone. Then there is the famous Tensas that I have hunted and spent years around. Anyway if you ever decide to try any of the delta WMA or NWR land shoot me a message and I will be glad to tell you what I know or information I can gather.

Thanks man, that sounds good. I've visited, hunted, scouted a lot of La public lands.

Sicily Island (JC Sonny Gilbert)
Richard K Yancey (Three Rivers)
Buckhorn
Tensas
Cat Island
Maurepas
Joyce
Tunica
Cat Island
Bayou Pierre
Red River refuge
Big Branch Marsh
Dewey Wills
Bodcau
Jackson Bienville
Kisatchie
Peason Ridge
Loggy Bayou
Bayou Cocodrie
Big Lake

Over the years I have gravitated to where there is less hunters. Another reason why I prefer to bowhunt. I kind of don't have patience for the riff raff anymore. I'll never hunt those lottery gun hunts.

Funny you say that, I saw a big black squirrel at CI last week.

Thanks man, that sounds good. I've visited, hunted, scouted a lot of La public lands.

Buckhorn
Tensas
Cat Island
Maurepas
Joyce
Tunica
Cat Island
Bayou Pierre
Red River refuge
Big Branch Marsh
Dewey Wills
Bodcau
Jackson Bienville
Kisatchie
Peason Ridge
Loggy Bayou
Bayou Cocodrie
Big Lake

Over the years I have gravitated to where there is less hunters. Another reason why I prefer to bowhunt. I kind of don't have patience for the riff raff anymore. I'll never hunt those lottery gun hunts.

That’s a solid list of state public lands! You have looked at a few. I just reread my post and saw a typo. I meant to say my buddies hunt the buck only at Sicily not Saline. Good luck and be safe.

That’s a solid list of state public lands! You have looked at a few. I just reread my post and saw a typo. I meant to say my buddies hunt the buck only at Sicily not Saline. Good luck and be safe.
Yea I figured that. I have some buddies that take off the last 3 weeks of December and hunt Sicily. They kill nice rack bucks every year. I have an invite from them, just show up and they will point me to the tree.

Every year I say I'm going to chase the rut around the state. I'm getting closer to doing that. Another reason to go to a saddle. Stick and move. Stick and move.

Buckhorn
Tensas
Cat Island
Maurepas
Joyce
Tunica
Cat Island
Bayou Pierre
Red River refuge
Big Branch Marsh
Dewey Wills
Bodcau
Jackson Bienville
Kisatchie
Peason Ridge
Loggy Bayou
Bayou Cocodrie
Big Lake

If you’re looking for the least amount of hunters per acre Joyce is where it’s at. You can hunt an entire season and not see another hunter. However the human population still outnumbers the deer population. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Goodluck, BE SAFE & shoot straight!

Welcome.I am new to this board too. I am new to the board and live in the Metairie area. I been reading on here a lot. There is so much information here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! Sulphur, La. here. Generally hunt Kisatchie between Natchitoches and Winnfield.

Headed to Tensas Sunday morning to hunt until Thursday. My 1st trip up there.

Back