• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just for us guys. Serious.

Heydeerman

SH Member
Guys,

My dad died of prostate cancer 19 years ago. He waited to long to get checked because he did not want someone sticking their finger up his backside. When he finally went to the doc he was ate up. I started getting checked at 40 every other year and every year when I hit 50. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in April. The doc said the cancer that showed in the biopsy was slow and I could wait up to ten years to do something if I wanted. I chose removing the prostate and had the surgery October 6. When the pathology report came back I actually had 2 cancers. One was slow but the other very aggressive and resistant to radiation. From April to October the aggressive was in 30% of my prostate and was overtaking the slow. It had not spread to any tissue around the prostate so they got it all. Unchecked it would have killed me in a couple years.

I had no symptoms of anything. I was getting checked because I did not want to go through what my dad did. It was a horrible death. If this thing is caught early your chances are real good for surviving it. If you are 45-50 years old go to the doc and get it checked along with your PSA. It’s humbling to get a prostate check and not pleasant but it could save your life.

Good stuff. No guy likes prodded in the back region, but the one thing I know about cancer is most all cancers are curable if caught early.

I had testicular cancer in my twenties, and by the time it was caught it was well advanced. I made it through thank God.

However, my mom kept putting off being checked for a cough, and she died of lung cancer when it was finally diagnosed, even though she never smoked or was around people that smoked.

I've always said if you have medical insurance, then use it! You pay for it! Most illnesses can be survived with monitoring and early detection.

Thank you for posting this! Every guy needs to stay on top of his health even if you think you're as healthy as a horse. I had no symptoms either. A simple blood test showed I had an elevated PSA and started the ball rolling. I too was diagnosed with prostate cancer this summer. An MRI showed my prostate had 2 lesions. I had a biopsy and the genomic test showed it was a slow growing cancer. I discussed the findings with my Urologist, an Oncologist and a Radiologist. All agreed that we should do "Active Surveillance" and scheduled me for an additional PSA test in 6 months.

Thank you for posting this! Every guy needs to stay on top of his health even if you think you're as healthy as a horse. I had no symptoms either. A simple blood test showed I had an elevated PSA and started the ball rolling. I too was diagnosed with prostate cancer this summer. An MRI showed my prostate had 2 lesions. I had a biopsy and the genomic test showed it was a slow growing cancer. I discussed the findings with my Urologist, an Oncologist and a Radiologist. All agreed that we should do "Active Surveillance" and scheduled me for an additional PSA test in 6 months.

You my friend are in my prayers.

I’m glad they got it and thanks for the message.

My Dad just finished radiation and hormone treatment for this and is okay now.

My maternal grandfather (that adopted my mom, so no genetic relation) died from this that spread to his bones. He was a WW2 vet and didn’t like doctors and tests.

I’m glad they got it and thanks for the message.

My Dad just finished radiation and hormone treatment for this and is okay now.

My maternal grandfather (that adopted my mom, so no genetic relation) died from this that spread to his bones. He was a WW2 vet and didn’t like doctors and tests.
My Oncologist said that if the cancer escapes from the prostate, the cancer cells like to attach to bones....
No one likes going to the Dr. or have tests,:confounded: but myself, I'd rather go through some unpleasantness to come out on the backside normal again.

A great PSA... I think we're generally adverse to seeking medical care even if something is just kinda nagging us... I tweaked my ankle running when I was in my late 20s... for the first year I just figured "I didn't let it heal right before trying to get out on it"... from there it never hurt during my day to day... would only hurt after a few weeks of running or landing on it really hard as I lost a bit of flexibility in it... took till last year to finally look at it and I really only did it since I'd spent my whole deductible for the first time ever... doc pulled 14 bone chips one as big as 1/4 diameter out of the front of my ankle... I'm 38 and i didn't look into this for like 9 years.. so I caused my left ankle to appear like the joints of an arthritic 60 year olds due to me essentially just grinding down the cartilage in my ankle... obviously OPs situation is a lot more serious than mine... but really guys... take the morning off and get it looked at

My Oncologist said that if the cancer escapes from the prostate, the cancer cells like to attach to bones....
No one likes going to the Dr. or have tests,:confounded: but myself, I'd rather go through some unpleasantness to come out on the backside normal again.

That’s what happened to my dad. It got in his leg bones and his final weeks he had tumors growing between the joints and separating his joints slowly. His legs were getting all twisted up and deformed and nothing helped for the pain. It was slow, painful, and torturous. It was horrible.

This saturday will be 6 years since my car accident following a seizure which led to the doc's finding a brain tumor. At the time I felt like I had zero symptoms leading up to the seizure but looking back at it now I remember feeling off a handful of times a few weeks before. Shrugged it off as stress. Now as a much more educated cancer/seizure survivor, those "off feelings" were pre-seizure auras. So my advice to all if something changes and lasts more then a couple weeks go get checked!

Thanks to the OP for the PSA - and I’m glad you caught it when you did. I’m also in the prostate cancer camp. Got diagnosed in 2019 and I’m in active surveillance too.

I had some issues in my twenties and got my first finger up the ol’ you know what, as well as some scopes. It wasn’t that bad and changed my mind on things. I’m not too proud for that stuff if it means living awhile longer. Heck, this past week, for the second time in my life I felt constipated. Ya know what I did, suppository up the ol’ hole and all was well. I’m running smooth again. Sorry for the TMI, but don’t be that guy…. You and your family will thank you later. Goodluck hunting!

Don't forget annual check ups. 2 years ago, I went for mine and found my BP and cholesterol were bad. Given the family history of heart disease, I made some changes and things are OK now, but I had symptoms or idea there was a problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Don't forget annual check ups. 2 years ago, I went for mine and found my BP and cholesterol were bad. Given the family history of heart disease, I made some changes and things are OK now, but I had symptoms or idea there was a problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just before my surgery my BP was stroke level. On meds now and it doing good.

Back