• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX 3 + Tethrd Recliner

jbogg

I headed up to the mountains again this afternoon for another evening hog hunt. No hogs harmed, but I did see four bears within three hours. My main purpose of going was to really have my first sit in my new JX3 hybrid in a real hunting situation. I honestly cannot say enough as to how packable and comfortable this thing is.

One of the things I used to enjoy about my summit Viper was the ability to lean my head back against the tree and take some stress off my neck and shoulders. This got my wheels turning and I decided to attach my tethered recliner to the top of the bridge to see if it made a difference. After fiddling around with it for a minute or two I was able to find several positions for it that was very comfortable. I’m also going to add a strap with two silent approach steps just to give me the ability to change up my foot position from the LW hand climber. I cannot wait to hunt out of this thing next fall.
6C572195-12BB-4BF9-9F83-64AF57149990.jpegF888CA3B-580D-40FA-854C-EBA98A3DBB63.jpeg

Last edited:
I headed up to the mountains again this afternoon for another evening hog hunt. No hogs harmed, but I did see four bears within three hours. My main purpose of going was to really have my first sit in my new JX3 hybrid in a real hunting situation. I honestly cannot say enough as to how packable and comfortable this thing is.

One of the things I used to enjoy about my summit Viper was the ability to lean my head back against the tree and take some stress off my neck and shoulders. This got my wheels turning and I decided to attach my tethered recliner to the top of the bridge to see if it made a difference. After fiddling around with it for a minute or two I was able to find several positions for it that was very comfortable. I’m also going to add a strap with two silent approach steps just to give me the ability to change up my foot position from the LW hand climber. I cannot wait to hunt out of this thing next fall.
View attachment 12259View attachment 12260
Great idea! I wonder if using a travel/airplane pillow could also work. Bulkier to pack I suppose.

Good observation about the utility of the step placement. You might also consider the value of 1-sticking over the HC. I own and have used both and find the 1-sticking to be a better system, pound for pound. They both use a tethered, sit, lift, sit, lift process.

The HC weighs 4-5 lbs and requires more core muscle use. A 1-stick approach (such as with a Muddy Pro) weighs less than 3 lbs and uses your leg muscles more (classic climbing). They both require a modest amount of effort to climb but I find the 1-stick to be somewhat less fatiguing. Once you are at height the HC's real estate goes largely unused while in the JX3 since your feet want to be on the sides of the tree (as you noted). The 1-stick provides just enough surface area to aid in shot positioning without wasted weight/bulk. My 2 cents.

Agreed that the JX3 is crazy comfy and I also can't wait to get it in a live hunting situation this Fall.

Great idea! I wonder if using a travel/airplane pillow could also work. Bulkier to pack I suppose.

Good observation about the utility of the step placement. You might also consider the value of 1-sticking over the HC. I own and have used both and find the 1-sticking to be a better system, pound for pound. They both use a tethered, sit, lift, sit, lift process.

The HC weighs 4-5 lbs and requires more core muscle use. A 1-stick approach (such as with a Muddy Pro) weighs less than 3 lbs and uses your leg muscles more (classic climbing). They both require a modest amount of effort to climb but I find the 1-stick to be somewhat less fatiguing. Once you are at height the HC's real estate goes largely unused while in the JX3 since your feet want to be on the sides of the tree (as you noted). The 1-stick provides just enough surface area to aid in shot positioning without wasted weight/bulk. My 2 cents.

Agreed that the JX3 is crazy comfy and I also can't wait to get it in a live hunting situation this Fall.

You are spot on regarding the amount of core strength required to one stick versus the LW Handclimber. Unfortunately I’ve got some bad plantar fasciitis in my right foot and climbing with sticks really aggravates that condition. If not for that I would be all over it.

You are spot on regarding the amount of core strength required to one stick versus the LW Handclimber. Unfortunately I’ve got some bad plantar fasciitis in my right foot and climbing with sticks really aggravates that condition. If not for that I would be all over it.
I know this is a bit off topic, but I fought plantar fasciitis for years. Spent thousands of dollars and countless hours trying to get some relief. I read an article about the difference in how people who suffer from this horrible affliction don't "grip" with their toes when they walk. So I examined the inside of my shoes and my wife's. She had much more noticeable indentations from her toes than I did. Especially the toes on the outside of the foot. So I started making a conscientious effort to grip with my toes when I walked. It took a while but it worked. No more pain. If I feel it starts to flair up I realize I'm not gripping again. Give it a try. I hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I know this is a bit off topic, but I fought plantar fasciitis for years. Spent thousands of dollars and countless hours trying to get some relief. I read an article about the difference in how people who suffer from this horrible affliction don't "grip" with their toes when they walk. So I examined the inside of my shoes and my wife's. She had much more noticeable indentations from her toes than I did. Especially the toes on the outside of the foot. So I started making a conscientious effort to grip with my toes when I walked. It took a while but it worked. No more pain. If I feel it starts to flair up I realize I'm not gripping again. Give it a try. I hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Have you made any of that jambalaya lately? February was my first trip to Saddlepalooza. I will be going back. The food alone was worth the price of admission, and that big pot of jambalaya you guys made was incredible. Good luck this season. Fourteen weeks to the bow opener here in GA, and I am counting the days.

I try to make a jambalaya every once in awhile but it's never as good as @Deltahuntr makes. I'll make a pretty damn good pot of beans though. The two complement each other well.

That jambalaya at Saddlepalooza truly was delicious. I was equally impressed with the preparation.

That jambalaya at Saddlepalooza truly was delicious. I was equally impressed with the preparation.
I'm surprised you remember that preparation. I mostly remember you sweating a lot, looking real miserable, and trying to find anywhere where you could get some relief for your headache.

I'm surprised you remember that preparation. I mostly remember you sweating a lot, looking real miserable, and trying to find anywhere where you could get some relief for your headache.

That’s weird I don’t remember that part!

I spoke with John over the weekend. He is coming out with an attachable headrest for the Hybrid. The recliner worked OK as long as I leaned my head straight back, but a true headrest will be much better. At my age comfort is key. Not too worried about a few extra ounces if I can sit still for extended periods. Patience has killed more deer than any piece of gear I have, but I have to be able to sit comfortably to put patience to work.

I spoke with John over the weekend. He is coming out with an attachable headrest for the Hybrid. The recliner worked OK as long as I leaned my head straight back, but a true headrest will be much better. At my age comfort is key. Not too worried about a few extra ounces if I can sit still for extended periods. Patience has killed more deer than any piece of gear I have, but I have to be able to sit comfortably to put patience to work.

I agree with this. I loved my saddles but I could not sit still or get comfortable no matter what I did. The hybrid fixed all of this for me and I cannot wait to hunt out of it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if my snoring will scare the deer off or Draw them in due to them being curious by Nature? I do like the idea of a headrest but mostly for scenarios where I would be set up very early in the morning, an hour or more before daylight. Sounds like a good way to take a little cat nap before the sun comes up.

Plantar fasciatis is a temporary condition caused by the inflammation of the fascia of the foot. If you stop making it mad, it will no longer hurt in many cases. Consider it a 2 part problem- one part is the behavior that caused the physical problem, and the other is the actual inflamed area of the foot. For me, I worked out the knot in the arch of my foot with a lacrosse ball a few painful minutes a day for a few weeks. NSAIDS help reduce inflammation. After fixing my foot, then I changed my behavior so as not to irritate my foot again. This involved buying better insoles than what my shoes came with, and reducing my time working out on a soft surface where my toes would dig into the surface, which stretched the fascia of my foot causing the issues.
In personal training, plantar fasciatis is common. It is fixed all the time. Many people freeze a water bottle, and then smash out the knot in their foot with that by rolling their foot onto the frozen bottle while standing and applying pressure. Things like lunges that stretch the bottom of your foot should be avoided at this time, as well as the old fashioned stretch where half of the foot is placed on the floor up against a wall to "stretch the calf" .

Plantar fasciatis is a temporary condition caused by the inflammation of the fascia of the foot. If you stop making it mad, it will no longer hurt in many cases. Consider it a 2 part problem- one part is the behavior that caused the physical problem, and the other is the actual inflamed area of the foot. For me, I worked out the knot in the arch of my foot with a lacrosse ball a few painful minutes a day for a few weeks. NSAIDS help reduce inflammation. After fixing my foot, then I changed my behavior so as not to irritate my foot again. This involved buying better insoles than what my shoes came with, and reducing my time working out on a soft surface where my toes would dig into the surface, which stretched the fascia of my foot causing the issues.
In personal training, plantar fasciatis is common. It is fixed all the time. Many people freeze a water bottle, and then smash out the knot in their foot with that by rolling their foot onto the frozen bottle while standing and applying pressure. Things like lunges that stretch the bottom of your foot should be avoided at this time, as well as the old fashioned stretch where half of the foot is placed on the floor up against a wall to "stretch the calf" .
Yeah I tried it all. 8 injections in my left heel 5 in my right. I also had astem and dry needling which is basically a intense form of acupuncture where the needle goes all the way down into the muscles. Months of physical therapy. Every insole that you could imagine buying. I stretched it constantly everyday, rolled water bottles under my feet, picked up marbles with my toes. And I probably took toxic levels of anti-inflammatories. Nothing helped until I started gripping the bottom of my shoes with my toes when I walked. I'm not saying mine was the worst case but it was pretty bad. It took over three years before I finally got relief. It probably didn't help that I walk anywheres from 10+ miles a day some days. I wish I could remember the article I read, but I read so many of them it would take probably another three years for me to find that exact one again on the internet. I know a lot of those other methods have worked for other people but in my case they did not. This was the only thing that worked so I shared with everybody that is suffering from this horrible affliction. Not saying it's the only way to fix it, but it's what worked for me. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming the jx3 plus tethrd recliner.

Back