• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX3 platform/ROS for larger tree

NoleShooter

Hello all. This is my first season using a saddle (or a hybrid in the case of the JX3) and so far I'm hooked. I'm currently just resting my feet in the top of my Hawk Helium.

I'm having an issue related to getting around the tree for shots to my right (I'm right handed) and behind me.

I'm a big dude and I've been choosing trees almost as wide as my shoulders. I like the idea of hiding behind a tree by putting the tree between me and the shooting area.

Three times in the last few weeks I've had deer come up on my 2 to 5 o'clock and struggled to get around to get a shot. Each time I got busted, and actually taking the shot would have been dicey.

If I try to swing the bow under the bridge and rotate, it's a LOT of movement and I get busted. If I try and move around the tree for a 3 o'clock shot, I run out of rope before I get far at all.

I rewatched JX3's videos to see how they were swinging around the tree so easily and noticed that they selected pretty skinny trees for the videos.

I'd like to find a way to keep using larger trees to hide behind, but also get leverage to swing around for shots from 12 to 6 o'clock.

I'm currently looking at:

the scout platform for the top of a helium: https://doublesteps.com/product/scout-platform-1-ooal/

Or

Squirrel step ring if steps

Leaning towards ROS.

My question is, can anyone with a JX3 or similar tell me their experience using either of these or any other methods to help getting turned around on a larger tree? Neither option is cheap, and I'd like to get any wisdom I can get before purchasing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you want to use larger diameter trees you have to put your tether up even higher so that you have the room and the rope to actually get around the tree before it stops you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was there last October after I actually got my JX3 out for a hunt and not just get accustomed to it in the yard.

After reading through everything I could and trying different options, this year I have a straight scout on my top step. I put a ROS a foot above it and that seems to give me a little extra tether to move on larger trees.

A longer tether and add a ring of steps at the same level as the top of your stick should do it for you. This is what I do. I have 4 steps on my ring of steps but could get by with 2 or 3 in most cases.

I haven't gotten a kill out of my JX3 yet but I did get a shot off at a mature buck at my 2 o'clock position from a large diameter tree and I had to spin around the tree with him close. I missed due to misjudgment the distance, not because of the Hybrid.

Hello all. This is my first season using a saddle (or a hybrid in the case of the JX3) and so far I'm hooked. I'm currently just resting my feet in the top of my Hawk Helium.

I'm having an issue related to getting around the tree for shots to my right (I'm right handed) and behind me.

I'm a big dude and I've been choosing trees almost as wide as my shoulders. I like the idea of hiding behind a tree by putting the tree between me and the shooting area.

Three times in the last few weeks I've had deer come up on my 2 to 5 o'clock and struggled to get around to get a shot. Each time I got busted, and actually taking the shot would have been dicey.

If I try to swing the bow under the bridge and rotate, it's a LOT of movement and I get busted. If I try and move around the tree for a 3 o'clock shot, I run out of rope before I get far at all.

I rewatched JX3's videos to see how they were swinging around the tree so easily and noticed that they selected pretty skinny trees for the videos.

I'd like to find a way to keep using larger trees to hide behind, but also get leverage to swing around for shots from 12 to 6 o'clock.

I'm currently looking at:

the scout platform for the top of a helium: https://doublesteps.com/product/scout-platform-1-ooal/

Or

Squirrel step ring if steps

Leaning towards ROS.

My question is, can anyone with a JX3 or similar tell me their experience using either of these or any other methods to help getting turned around on a larger tree? Neither option is cheap, and I'd like to get any wisdom I can get before purchasing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I owned a JX3 last season and while I like a lot of things about it this was one of my issues. It functions best with small diameter trees. The issue is not the platform. It's the increasing angle of your tether as your try to swing. It's like a pendulum. The closer the load is to the attachment point the less it is being pulled back to the resting spot. Skinny trees allow you to appear to move farther without getting too much pull back. It also helps to have your tether set extremely high. I was almost tempted to set my tether and climb down a bit to extend it to give me more swing leverage.

Back