• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX3 saddle and platform?

Do any of you hunt with a JX3 saddle and a platform? If you do what platform do you use and why? I hunted last year with my JX3 using the top step as my footrest which worked out very well for me. My son in law has given me a ring of steps to try which I will as soon as my knee heals from replacement surgery. I've been looking at platforms such as the Tethered platform, one from Treehopper and the one from Artisan Outdoors that goes on the top stick. Just curious what others that hunt from a JX3 saddle might be using if anything.

Do any of you hunt with a JX3 saddle and a platform? If you do what platform do you use and why? I hunted last year with my JX3 using the top step as my footrest which worked out very well for me. My son in law has given me a ring of steps to try which I will as soon as my knee heals from replacement surgery. I've been looking at platforms such as the Tethered platform, one from Treehopper and the one from Artisan Outdoors that goes on the top stick. Just curious what others that hunt from a JX3 saddle might be using if anything.
Top of stick & 4 steps placed in pairs @120 degrees on either aide is my go to for jx3

Top of stick & 4 steps placed in pairs @120 degrees on either aide is my go to for jx3

Exactly what I do too. A platform is not essential gear with a JX3. One benefit and weight saving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think you'd get any advantage from a platform with a jx3. 3 squirrel steps were my go-to last year when I was using it. Had no problem killing a doe that came in behind me and got shot at my 3oclock

A fee squirrel steps are my foot. 4 to 6. Platform is a waste imho

You could carry a summit climber for the combined weight of the jx3, platform, and climbing method. The whole point of the hybrid is to eliminate the need for a heavy(in relative saddle hunting terms) platform.

of course anything is possible, and I’m sure somewhere someone finds utility in it. But having your feet in front of the tree is uncomfortable to me in the hybrid.

I use a ring of steps, and I’m still deciding whether I’m gonna use my bare top step of my muddy pro, or perhaps use an artisan or a scout on that top step. Only reason would be for standing instead of rotating to take a more weak side shot

8CE15184-5E04-49D1-AAC8-58D9251852A3.png

You don't need one but there is an advantage to using one when taking a weak side shot.

That thread is 40+ pages and has lots of great info. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

I don't think you'd get any advantage from a platform with a jx3. 3 squirrel steps were my go-to last year when I was using it. Had no problem killing a doe that came in behind me and got shot at my 3oclock

For me that’s tricky location. Was the move a tiptoe to the right of the tree and rotate left, or a heavy rotation clockwise with the torso?

Thanks for all of the responses. Yea I use to have a Summit climber but there is no comparison to the ability to move through the woods with my JX3 versus the Summit. The Summit was comfortable but not as comfortable as the JX3 to me. I can take my sticks, JX3 and bow or gun be up the tree in less time and very quiet compared to the climber. As to a platform I was wondering if anyone thought it would be an advantage and it doesn't look like it would be. I will definitely try the ring of steps (4 of them) as side steps but might not really need them . Last year I was able to shoot a doe at around my 2 o'clock by swinging around the tree to my left, hooking my left knee on the tree with my right foot on the top step of my stick. This let me get around the tree very easily for the shot and I was on a popular that was over 20" in diameter. Can't wait till my knee replacement completely heals so I can climb and try the step set up to see if I even need that. By the way I LOVE my JX3 Hybrid this is the best elevated hunting style I have tried in my 50 years of deer hunting.

I use the modified Lonewolf hand climber as my climbing method, so it doubles as a platform at hunting height. However, once I’m settled in my feet will spend 90% of the time on the Cranford steps I will have installed on my way up the tree at the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions. I end up maneuvering the Lonewolf strap just above/resting on the steps so that if it does get loose it is not falling. I’ve learned that as long as you have some weight on the Lonewolf it will not fall, but if I have both my feet resting on the steps even a slight bump to the hand climber with no weight on it will cause it to drop.

Back