• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kaider

Yes, Pete is the wizard. He changed my world

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well peterk1234 and bassboyllc just got my wild edge Stepp next is aider can’t wait to get this system down

The knaider and swaider @peter1234 uses has made the WE steps the lightest climbing method other than spurs

The knaider and swaider @peter1234 uses has made the WE steps the lightest climbing method other than spurs
Not entirely true. SRT is lighter and just as compact. Bolts and the hand drill are lighter as well and significantly more compact. Single stick climbing is lighter but carries more bulk. Aider climbing is super light, no bulk, but takes a long time. I'm sure you could also make a case for screw in steps.

That being said. I use spurs, bolts, and stepps these days most of the time. Sticks for presets. We have a lot of options. Find methods you like and I establish proficiency. Everyone has a different litmus to ease vs. Bulk vs. Weight equation. You will win in the end. Don't be surprised if people don't follow your exact path. That is the best part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Having used Jim Stepps since they first came out, for climbing they just aren't for me. As a preset platform they are great (although I have personally stopped doing this as I am tired of my preset trees being found by others. I will admit the knaider/swaider method looks intriguing - but for me, since I set up most of the time in the dark, sticks are almost fail proof at this point. Yep they will weight 6 pounds as opposed to 4 but they just go on so easy. With the Stepps and the trees I climb, you almost always have to do a cam over, adjust and then recam. In areas I hunt in Ohio they would be great on the smooth tough barked trees there. The primary advantage is how nicely 4 stepps with amsteel pack down. Now someone needs to come up with a telescoping stick that weighs in at 2#s :)

. Now someone needs to come up with a telescoping stick that weighs in at 2#s :)
A good idea for a winter project... for @ImThere We are all different but I agree with Dave... no Stepps for me.
I am trying short packable sticks with long aiders... and I know Dave does not like multistep aiders... but I don't mind them.
I guess that is why we buy everything, try everything and then all do things different.

Now back to the thread... I have to try the knaider sometime... but on a stick. Cains method of one sticking is also interesting.

Back