• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kayak River Run- Smallmouth time

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
I have really enjoyed fishing out of my Kayak this summer. Wife and I have been out on the local lakes frequently, but this Saturday we are headed to float and fish the Buffalo River here in Arkansas. I have canoed it before, but this will be a first in the Yak. Any good advise for summertime river Smallies?

dpierce72

Jan 13, 2018
Arkansas
The Buffalo is my FAVORITE smallmouth (I grew up referring to them as Brownies) destination in AR. I'm actually fishing in MO (Current River) this weekend because water can be challenging on the Buffalo this time of year. When I planed the trip 6 weeks ago, I wanted to be sure it was floatable ...and I'm guessing it will be.

I prefer Gitzit - brown, tan, black (depending on water color) with pumpkin fleck!

Deep pools (along deeper clay banks) or the eddies just after the rapids...

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: fbwguy

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
The Buffalo is my FAVORITE smallmouth (I grew up referring to them as Brownies) destination in AR. I'm actually fishing in MO (Current River) this weekend because water can be challenging on the Buffalo this time of year. When I planed the trip 6 weeks ago, I wanted to be sure it was floatable ...and I'm guessing it will be.

I prefer Gitzit - brown, tan, black (depending on water color) with pumpkin fleck!

Deep pools (along deeper clay banks) or the eddies just after the rapids...

Good luck and have fun!
Thnks, good info

Reactions: dpierce72

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Wife and I paddle-camped Buffalo about 15 years ago.
Very pretty scenery. Caught some bass but we didn't exactly hammer them. The water was a bit high and muddy so it wasn't the best conditions for fishing.
Ticks were horrible.
And if I remember correctly, that river has some mind blowing fluctuations in flow. I seem to recall reading of crazy rises in water levels after storms. You might want to check on that.

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
Wife and I paddle-camped Buffalo about 15 years ago.
Very pretty scenery. Caught some bass but we didn't exactly hammer them. The water was a bit high and muddy so it wasn't the best conditions for fishing.
Ticks were horrible.
And if I remember correctly, that river has some mind blowing fluctuations in flow. I seem to recall reading of crazy rises in water levels after storms. You might want to check on that.
We had a lot of rain earlier this week but most was south Arkansas. Called a few of the outfitters up north, they are all reporting normal summer flow. Hope they are right. If it’s too slow I’ve got a tow rope to tow my wife and her Yak down river.

dpierce72

Jan 13, 2018
Arkansas
@dpierce72 what size Gitzit’s do you recommend, gonna set up my gear?

I tend to go 2.5"-3.0" even the smaller fish CAN get the bigger tubes and while I don't have scientific data, I think bigger tubes = better fish...

Again, just a personal preference. Sorry for late reply. Been off grid couple days.

KYHunter

Jan 20, 2018
Never have fished the Buffalo but have fished the Elkhorn Creek in KY a ton. Ned rig and small square bill crank-baits are my go to. I use the “1.5” size square bills that dive 2-4 feet.

KYHunter

Jan 20, 2018
Also, take a ton of extras of each! Ned rigs are
Terrible about getting hung up

dpierce72

Jan 13, 2018
Arkansas
I tend to go 2.5"-3.0" even the smaller fish CAN get the bigger tubes and while I don't have scientific data, I think bigger tubes = better fish...

Again, just a personal preference. Sorry for late reply. Been off grid couple days.

If you've never fished gitzits, push the jig head through the body of the tube and poke the eye hole out of the tube rather than trying to thread the jig head. It will hold up much better...

Good luck ...and let's see a few pics!

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
If you've never fished gitzits, push the jig head through the body of the tube and poke the eye hole out of the tube rather than trying to thread the jig head. It will hold up much better...

Good luck ...and let's see a few pics!
Awesome, thnx. I just finished making a camera mount for the Kayak. Hopefully it works well

Reactions: dpierce72

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
Great time on the Buffalo. Early morning fishing was good with Gitzits and Yum Craw Papi’s. Caught a few smallmouth. But the river got crowded fast by canoes, tube and kayaks. Gave up on fishing by about 10 am. Great time with my wife, she had one roll over mishap trying to stow a fishing pole. No harm no foul. Will try again when the crowds thin out1B625288-D987-41A8-9DC4-5E90A726F02E.jpeg40E1B1D7-C6E7-4891-B8F9-D48791E81C68.jpegE629A756-CA0D-4642-A7D2-4BB6856D88F1.jpeg8D1E0239-5207-4A28-8B53-156F2CD89C1D.jpeg0CF98780-4C40-4EF7-9FC7-E6D4865817A7.jpeg