• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kayak vs pirogue?

Gsshephe

Looking at kayaks. Any tips in best size, options, must haves? What about a kayak vs a pirogue? Been told the pirogue can float in shallower water, but does it track as well? Is it as easy to customize?

any water a pirogue can get you in a kayak can’t, you can walk in rubber boots. Hell you can probably walk in water that a kayak would ground on.

Pirogues are less stable, shorter freeboard, don’t track quite as well. They are made for still water only, and will sink.

however, since they are usually homemade or custom built, they offer a few advantages: whatever length you want(which usually means much shorter than a kayak that would be of any use - say 8 or 9’), can be any shape you want to provide extra space for gear, draft less, are quieter, lower profile due to low freeboard, are easily painted custom colors to blend into surroundings (some kayaks come good colors for hiding them but they suck to paint), easily repaired.

If you’re paddling in open water or moving water, get a kayak(or better yet a canoe). If you’re crossing sloughs and paddling swamps and what not short distances through skinny water, a pirogue might work for you.

but they are all different shapes sizes weights and costs.

where do you intend to paddle? And what pirogue were you looking at?

any water a pirogue can get you in a kayak can’t, you can walk in rubber boots. Hell you can probably walk in water that a kayak would ground on.

Pirogues are less stable, shorter freeboard, don’t track quite as well. They are made for still water only, and will sink.

however, since they are usually homemade or custom built, they offer a few advantages: whatever length you want(which usually means much shorter than a kayak that would be of any use - say 8 or 9’), can be any shape you want to provide extra space for gear, draft less, are quieter, lower profile due to low freeboard, are easily painted custom colors to blend into surroundings (some kayaks come good colors for hiding them but they suck to paint), easily repaired.

If you’re paddling in open water or moving water, get a kayak(or better yet a canoe). If you’re crossing sloughs and paddling swamps and what not short distances through skinny water, a pirogue might work for you.

but they are all different shapes sizes weights and costs.

where do you intend to paddle? And what pirogue were you looking at?
Still trying to decide. I have seen several pirogue companies from South La but havent laid my eyes on any of them or tried one out yet. Based on your assessment, I should probably lean toward the kayak. I plan to be paddling ditches and creeks and trying to get into back water areas. At times these areas may be open water and may have some flow to them. I also want to rig something up for lights, bow/gun holders, etc. seems like it would be easier to do in a kayak.

If you’re going to be paddling in any current really the kayak is the way to go. A pirogue doesn’t track very well in open water with any current or wind but if weight is a concern a pirogue depending on size will weight less than some kayaks. I have an ascend h12 I use for duck hunting in here in LA and I can drag it where I need but will be taking a lot of breaks in between moves. I also have a 10 or 12 foot pirogue I can take that thing and put it on a pull rope and drags it for a mile before I get too tired. What are your plans do you plan to wagon it back to a spot on foot then launch the boat or going straight from truck to launch? Are you having to cross over any logs and stumps?

Still trying to decide. I have seen several pirogue companies from South La but havent laid my eyes on any of them or tried one out yet. Based on your assessment, I should probably lean toward the kayak. I plan to be paddling ditches and creeks and trying to get into back water areas. At times these areas may be open water and may have some flow to them. I also want to rig something up for lights, bow/gun holders, etc. seems like it would be easier to do in a kayak.

another good way to put it is ‘don’t paddle a pirogue if you don’t know what the conditions will be before launching’. You don’t necessarily need to know your route, but if you don’t know it will be still, protected water, it’s probably a bad idea to tote a pirogue unless you’re an advanced paddler.

If there’s any intention of toting the things you kill out of those backwaters in your boat, consider a canoe. Any kayak capable of carrying you and a 200lb deer will weigh as much or more, and be as cumbersome as a canoe that can handle the same load. The canoe will be easier to get in and out of, easier to balance a load, and offer more versatility. If the kayak is just to get you from point A to B and needs to be as small and efficient as possible, get a 10-12 sit in kayak.

I have a 27lb 15’ canoe and it is awesome for most of what I do. It can carry me and a deer easily. And I can carry it one handed a mile. But if I’m in skinny water, with a short paddle, and long tote through high stem count, a 10’ sit in kayak is a better choice.

all depends on what you do, and like guns, saddles, pretty much any type of gear, no one model or type will cover every base. Figure out what you do most of the time and get a tool that does that best. If you have disposable money time and focus, get two!

If you’re going to be paddling in any current really the kayak is the way to go. A pirogue doesn’t track very well in open water with any current or wind but if weight is a concern a pirogue depending on size will weight less than some kayaks. I have an ascend h12 I use for duck hunting in here in LA and I can drag it where I need but will be taking a lot of breaks in between moves. I also have a 10 or 12 foot pirogue I can take that thing and put it on a pull rope and drags it for a mile before I get too tired. What are your plans do you plan to wagon it back to a spot on foot then launch the boat or going straight from truck to launch? Are you having to cross over any logs and stumps?
At this point, I will probably start by just launching from my truck. Some of these areas may have to get across logs to continue.

If you start having to haul it into spots I personally would recommend making a deer cart or buying a wagon vs just dragging on the ground too. A canoe is also a very good option too does hold weight better and balances pretty well I just found it hard to get one that was under 12 foot. I travel through more swampy cypress tree areas I like the pirogue for the maneuverability through tight spots and over shallow logs it can be very tricky in some situation but knowing how to operator act in them just come from experience. I do agree with kyler1945 a canoe would be honestly a good all around choice without footing out some serious change.

I have a two man pirogue that I use for hunting flooded timber. It works great for that, you can get into very skinny water. But, it is definitely for still water. Mine is a Chapman, they are made in Chalmette. If you are still considering a pirogue, I would take a look at the Chapman, it's a nice boat.

I have a canoe and when it flooded really bad here I got out and played in my canoe in some water that was rushing down a ditch. To my surprise, I could easily paddle upstream in the canoe even though it was moving much faster than I could walk.

The only think you'll see with a canoe is the weight needs to be in the bottom of the boat and it can easily be flipped. I used to go to buffalo river every summer and managed to go swimming(not by choice) quite a few times. It almost always happened when there was a young child in our canoe that wouldn't stop leaning out the side of the boat. It doesn't take much to flip a canoe. Not much at all. With that though, you can easily make some DIY outriggers out of 4 or 6" pvc that really add stability and don't effect paddling too much.

If it were me, I would get a 12-14' canoe or kayak. I believe a kayak is in it's own league when it comes to stability. It doesn't paddle as good as the canoe, but it's very manageable.

I have a canoe and when it flooded really bad here I got out and played in my canoe in some water that was rushing down a ditch. To my surprise, I could easily paddle upstream in the canoe even though it was moving much faster than I could walk.

The only think you'll see with a canoe is the weight needs to be in the bottom of the boat and it can easily be flipped. I used to go to buffalo river every summer and managed to go swimming(not by choice) quite a few times. It almost always happened when there was a young child in our canoe that wouldn't stop leaning out the side of the boat. It doesn't take much to flip a canoe. Not much at all. With that though, you can easily make some DIY outriggers out of 4 or 6" pvc that really add stability and don't effect paddling too much.
The stability of a canoe is based on the shape of the hull. Flat bottomed canoes like a Grumman have lots of initial stability but as soon as the are leaned, they flip easier.
A more rounded hull is made to lean in order to make them more maneuverable. They have what is called "final stability". They feel tippy until they are leaned and then they stabilize.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

No clue, I'm always in it. I could guess. I have the previous version of this yak also, the Ultimate 12 and it definitely sits lower in the water making it harder to paddle
I went to the website to look at it. The specs shows the depth but that does not equate to free board.
I will say that a lot of boat designs really blur the definition between a canoe and a kayak. A lot of what are being called a "kayak" these days are pretty darn close to a canoe. The name "kayak" seems to be a more popular marketing term than canoe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Get a 2 man kayak I use to have a heck of a good one and flood water took it. I don't remember the name but I hauled a few deer in it. It would fly across the water with one guy but didn't track as will with 2 people in it.

If you decide on kayak or pirogue either can be fitted with outriggers for stability. Outriggers obviously add width and can limit the areas you can navigate but significantly improve stability and possibly capacity. I guess it all depends on what you're planning on using it for, accessibility, transport, comfort, etc. I've had several kayaks and a couple canoes and have actually settled on a hybrid kayak/paddleboard which suits my needs the best for mobility, stability and it's foam filled so I can't sink it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, what works for one might not work for another so you just have to decide what it'll be used for the most and go from there. Good luck!

If you decide on kayak or pirogue either can be fitted with outriggers for stability. Outriggers obviously add width and can limit the areas you can navigate but significantly improve stability and possibly capacity. I guess it all depends on what you're planning on using it for, accessibility, transport, comfort, etc. I've had several kayaks and a couple canoes and have actually settled on a hybrid kayak/paddleboard which suits my needs the best for mobility, stability and it's foam filled so I can't sink it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, what works for one might not work for another so you just have to decide what it'll be used for the most and go from there. Good luck!

Yup! And remember 90% of the fun is figuring out what works best. Finally settling in the right tool and buying it is never as satisfying as figuring it out

Back