• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kayaking in

828Mountianhunter

Found a piece of public ground with alot of good not and not much pressure, only problem is it's right on a lake and the only land access is straight up a to the ridge, the price is small only 60 acres, and going up thru there means trying to sneak thru a bedding area. Not ideal. I have a kayak and am thinking about Accessing it from the lake. The only thing I can't figure out is where to store my bow on the kayak to keep it protected and dry. What do y'all do to carry your bows on kayaks

I have my fishing crate in the back and I put my saddle/pack etc in it and then I lay my bow on top of that and bungee it down.

Never have any problems with it getting soaked or numbed around?

No I haven’t had any problems with it. I lock it down pretty tight. I have a sit on top kayak so the bow is around my shoulder blade height. Any water is usually due to the paddle flinging some. I have a buddy with a sit inside and he just straps it to the top. He has soaked his but that’s because he flipped it few weeks ago in the dark. Bow was still attached to the kayak when he flipped it back over.

I have a small SOT kayak. I put my pack down first then bow on top and just use the bungees to hold it down. May get a little splash from paddles but as long as you don’t turn it over you’ll be fine

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the bow getting wet. Sure, it may get wet from paddle drip or the occasional splash - but I don’t view that as much different than hunting in the rain? Inspect the drop away rest to make sure it still drops away, the cable slide/rollers are smooth, and draw the bow back to make sure the limbs and everything else is in working order and silent....

Id love to do this. This may be sounding like excuses but its not ive tried and been whooped. My father and brothers were tidal back creek duck hunting fools. Ive seen how dangerous it can be.
The problem is in my areas is that everything is tidal.
Any real attempt to hunt by water you really need to plan by the tides. Also bring some emergency gear.
These boat trips would probably be a long long day.
Definitely dark to dark if not longer.
Our back tidal creeks can be out right dangerous. Especially in the late season.
ice, mud holes, and just spots that you really cant get to safely At least without being chest deep in mud. Thats dangerous to me.
The edges of our creeks and ditches recede so much that the shorelines at time is nothing but 6-8 foot on each side can be probably 10 foot deep of mud, its hard enough pulling a rubber boot out of a 3-4 food mud hole.
the center and getting there by boat is not really the problem. The problem lays within getting onto the shore and then after the hunt getting back to the boat. I wont even get into navigating through creeks that recede all of their water at not even low tides.
so me? I would really have to kniw the routes super well, be really farmilliar with how much the water recedes in that certain route and plan accordingly.
The tidal marshes in my areas can be really dangerous. So anyone planning boat trips consider all of this especially if it is tidal.
you can find yourself in a slick trick box quick.
end up being airlifted by the coast guard
I see or hear about these guys attempting this stuff every year. Quite a few of them are calling the boys on vhf radios channel 16.
Needing help.
Not to scare but keep this in mind with reference to boat trips.

Back