• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kayaks for hauling deer out

Tjens21

SH Member
Anybody ever actually take a deer out with a kayak? Ive found some public only accessed by water and was wondering if anyone has attempted this. Thanks in advance.

I have. Canoe is easier by far, but if you quarter one up it's pretty easy to fit one in a 12ft sit-in. You'll probably need to split the load 50/50 between sitting behind you or up in the bow of the boat. If you're packing sticks and a platform and heavy winter gear, it gets a little packed in there.

I once carried about a 50lb sow pig in my lap while crossing a half-mile wide river in a 10ft kayak. Not recommended.

Last fall I had myself, a buddy (we're both lightweights, 140-150 pounds soaking wet), all of his gear, and a button buck in my nucanoe flint. We were in a very shallow, slow moving creek and I wanted to test the limits of my kayak. It was slow-going fighting the current with that much weight in the boat and only one paddle, but I never felt like we were going to tip. I'd feel confident paddling out any size deer solo in that boat no problem.

I've seen people do it and I also will be attempting to this fall. Depending on your size, you might have to consider what length kayak you should go with. I have also seen people put a life jacket on the deer and float it behind their yak. Also if you don't gut the deer, it should naturally float.

I'm seriously considering something similar but not sure of a kayak or a canoe. I want something stable for hauling but not something that requires two people to lug around. I also want something I could run traps out of too. Maybe even put a trolling motor on. Any suggestions?

I'm seriously considering something similar but not sure of a kayak or a canoe. I want something stable for hauling but not something that requires two people to lug around. I also want something I could run traps out of too. Maybe even put a trolling motor on. Any suggestions?
Porta-bote.
Foldable boat. I really want one, but they are not cheap. Not super expensive either. If I didn't all ready have a boat I would get one. You can do a small gas motor on them. There is also a motor that runs on propane.

Porta-bote.
Foldable boat. I really want one, but they are not cheap. Not super expensive either. If I didn't all ready have a boat I would get one. You can do a small gas motor on them. There is also a motor that runs on propane.
Thanks, I'll check them out. The nucanoe looks like a great option as well. But something you can fold, that's kind of cool too.

I've been using a Beavertail 1200 to access a few spots by water and it works pretty well... much more stable than the 12' canoe I was using, though it is quite a bit heavier. I started propelling it with a trolling motor, but switched to a 2.5hp outboard.

Yes but I have a kayak/paddleboard hybrid I use. It's basically a floating foam filled deck with attachment points I can outfit how I want. It's a Vibe Maverick knockoff. Waders or tall rubber boots are a bit of a necessity though with it unless you want wet feet (the deck takes water over the top with waves).

Last fall I had myself, a buddy (we're both lightweights, 140-150 pounds soaking wet), all of his gear, and a button buck in my nucanoe flint. We were in a very shallow, slow moving creek and I wanted to test the limits of my kayak. It was slow-going fighting the current with that much weight in the boat and only one paddle, but I never felt like we were going to tip. I'd feel confident paddling out any size deer solo in that boat no problem.
How do you like the flint as far as paddling small rivers and portability? I wanted to get a Nucanoe this year and keep looking at an F12 since it would carry deer out easier. Now I think the Flint would possibly work better since I will only be carrying a deer a few times a season (if I am lucky) compared to how many times I will use the kayak for scouting and hunting with just me in it, and worst-case scenario I can float the deer behind me or go get my deer cart and go in by land in most the areas I hunt.

I have used an OldTown Discovery 119. You should just quarter the deer and throw it in a trash bag in the canoe/kayak rather than haul the whole deer out. Makes life alot easier.

How do you like the flint as far as paddling small rivers and portability? I wanted to get a Nucanoe this year and keep looking at an F12 since it would carry deer out easier. Now I think the Flint would possibly work better since I will only be carrying a deer a few times a season (if I am lucky) compared to how many times I will use the kayak for scouting and hunting with just me in it, and worst-case scenario I can float the deer behind me or go get my deer cart and go in by land in most the areas I hunt.
Do you plan on using a motor at all? Or just paddling?

I love my flint. I've used it for everything from frog gigging to paddling out shark baits. I was also considering the F12, but after paddling both at my dealer I went with the flint for the manuverability, speed, and ease of paddling. The F12 would be sweet with a motor, but it doesn't paddle near as good as the flint in my opinion. The flint is also a lot lighter and less awkward to carry by yourself. I do a lot of fishing in small tidal rivers and creeks. I use a cooler as my seat when I'm fishing and I stand most of the time. When I'm hunting I use my jx3 hybrid as my seat. I can push it all the way towards the back of the kayak and have more than enough room for any size deer up front. Keep in mind the weight limit of the flint is listed at 375 pounds vs 650 for the F12. It works out for me as a smaller guy hunting in an area with smaller deer. If I was 100lbs heavier and planned on hauling out 200+ pound deer on the regular, I would have an F12 with a motor!

I love my flint. I've used it for everything from frog gigging to paddling out shark baits. I was also considering the F12, but after paddling both at my dealer I went with the flint for the manuverability, speed, and ease of paddling. The F12 would be sweet with a motor, but it doesn't paddle near as good as the flint in my opinion. The flint is also a lot lighter and less awkward to carry by yourself. I do a lot of fishing in small tidal rivers and creeks. I use a cooler as my seat when I'm fishing and I stand most of the time. When I'm hunting I use my jx3 hybrid as my seat. I can push it all the way towards the back of the kayak and have more than enough room for any size deer up front. Keep in mind the weight limit of the flint is listed at 375 pounds vs 650 for the F12. It works out for me as a smaller guy hunting in an area with smaller deer. If I was 100lbs heavier and planned on hauling out 200+ pound deer on the regular, I would have an F12 with a motor!

I would like to not us a motor. I like paddling and want free exercise lol.

Man that good to hear, I just got a new flint myself! Look forward to picking it up this weekend!!

Back