• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Keep Kevlar-core Line From Fraying

Iron_llama

Any tips on sealing the ends of Kevlar-core rope from fraying? I've got heat shrink on there but the jacket is already retracting and the core is working itself out. Do y'all use krazy glue or nail polish or some sort of sealant? Should I throw a couple of stitches in there to keep the core and jacket together? Any products I should avoid? I'd like to avoid going down the wrong path right off the bat.

Working with 5.5mm Beal Cordelette at the moment but I have other lines to work with as well. Thanks!

Whip it. I've used serving thread in the past and it has done real well. Whip it. Then put on clear shrink wrap on it.

Same technique as conventional twisted rope? I assume some upholstery thread should be stout enough.

Thanks!
As mentioned above whip it. A #4 yacht twine like the robline brand works really well. You could also dip the end in that liquid end sealer for ropes. Kevlar and technora do not make very good rope cores. They are good cover materials but not great for rope cores, especially if the rope is bent, tied, or going to be used for multiple seasons

As mentioned above whip it. A #4 yacht twine like the robline brand works really well. You could also dip the end in that liquid end sealer for ropes. Kevlar and technora do not make very good rope cores. They are good cover materials but not great for rope cores, especially if the rope is bent, tied, or going to be used for multiple seasons
Thanks, I'll have to look for that liquid end sealer. I bet West Marine will have it.

The Beal Kevlar has a nylon cover which you can just melt the ends. You only need to sew if trying to trap some slack in the cover for better gripping. The Technora covers need something, I do whipping and fuse it together with low heat.
D78A7247-B5B2-445C-BA27-ED20DD089F96.jpeg

The Beal Kevlar has a nylon cover which you can just melt the ends. You only need to sew if trying to trap some slack in the cover for better gripping. The Technora covers need something, I do whipping and fuse it together with low heat.
View attachment 63251
How are you fusing the technora?

This stuff works great and can be found at most hardware or lumber stores. There's no need to buy a hot glue gun if you don't have one, just use a lighter or propane/butane soldering torch. Gob plenty on the end and as it cools, it can be molded. When it dries it's really grippy but still flexible. https://surebonder.com/products/cg-...MIteqppbLD9gIVW3FvBB1YegllEAQYAyABEgJXIPD_BwE
How do you use this? Blob a mushroom over the cut end? Is it thin enough to work or soak into the fibers?

How do you use this? Blob a mushroom over the cut end? Is it thin enough to work or soak into the fibers?
It soaks in. I heat the stick up on the end until liquid and paint it on with the stick. Almost immediately (use your judgement it's hot) you can roll it in your fingers to mold and shape it how you want for a neat end. If you screw up and it isn't to your liking, it can be heated again and re-shaped.
It stays tacky for quite awhile so I let it dry overnight. Don't sit the end on anything you don't want it stuck to either. I just dangle it off the end of a table a couple inches.

Last edited:
This is rescuetec a couple seasons old...blue is electrical tape I had on there before cutting then the whipping....the yellow is the stuff u buy at the hardwear store to make straightedge during construction....masons line I think

Leave plenty of tail and pull with pliers

Screenshot_20220313-132214~2.png

Maybe hotmelt works too?
I'd assume so. I use that surebond as hot melt on my inserts too. I use it for other projects around the house so it has multiple uses for me and it's something I have on hand.

Back