• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Keeping track of Deer season stats??

Jmarzey

Well after listening to Warren Womack on a ton of different podcasts this summer, I fell in love with the way he has been keeping track of all of his stats and stories for the last 40+ years. I have loved to write ever since I was in elementary school, and am always looking for a reason to tell a story on paper.

I decided to start doing the same thing this season, and I kept track of everything in a journal. I did it like he does, and wrote a little short story for each hunt this season, and kept up with how many hunts, how many hours, number of deer (bucks and does), weather, etc... I was wondering if anyone on here does the same thing, and I was curious to see the numbers of those that do. I have 5 more days of hunting left this season, and I hope that I make it a total of 10 more sits (morning and evening count separate in my stats), so these numbers are going to change.

I hunt I am in Georgia and mostly hunt public land in the piedmont region (about an hour east of Atlanta):

I made a total of 36 hunts- 13 mornings and 23 evenings
I spent 105 hours on stand- all in a saddle
I saw 44 deer- 34 does and 10 bucks
I killed 3 does and missed the biggest buck that I have ever seen in the woods, on public land, at 30 yards (That's a lengthy story in my journal lol)

It was really fun keeping up with everything and getting to write about each of my hunts. I cant wait to keep doing this for years to come.

I started to do that years ago but it fell to the wayside. Wished I had kept up with it cause some of the "pros" insist it has been vital to their success. Being able to go back and look at certain things like weather conditions, wind speed and direction etc. can be the keys to future successful hunts.

Can anyone recommend a pre-formatted hunting journal that they like? After hunting for 30 years, I've finally decided I might try this. Wish I had started the habit 30 years ago...

Back