• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel 2, kite 2, mantis XL distance to LB loops ??

sojourner

SH Member
I am rocking the SD / RCH and have been (along with GW). I have shoulder arthritis and bone spurs. That is limiting some mobility in right arm to reach to the side / behind me.

Last year I ordered (and returned) a Kestrel size 2 as i found it too difficult to reach to clip biner to LB loop.

I see the kite is supposed to have more distance to LB loops than Kestrel.

I am not in a rush, but if the kite 2 or mantis XL had sufficiently longer distance to LB loops, I would plan on upgrading my SD / RC.

Can anyone provide actual measurements from the ends of LB loops for the saddles mentioned in the title? Respectfully, I am not interested in anything other than hard data. Speculation or “you won’t regret it” do nothing to provide me with data for a purchase decision.

Much appreciated for input.

The Mantis lineman loops are as far forward as possible. They're also way oversized for easy use. We went back and forth on the design of those lineman loops and settled on the most user friendly setup. I think we hit a homerun.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

The Mantis lineman loops are as far forward as possible. They're also way oversized for easy use. We went back and forth on the design of those lineman loops and settled on the most user friendly setup. I think we hit a homerun.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Thanks for the reply. When you have some time (no hurry - I see you are pretty busy), can you put a tape measure to the mantis XL? I could compare to my linemans belt loops on my RC harness. Thanks.

@DaveT1963 has a comparison between the kestrel and kite and mentioned the lineman’s loop placement. They looked nearly identical on his video, but never measured it.

I am rocking the SD / RCH and have been (along with GW). I have shoulder arthritis and bone spurs. That is limiting some mobility in right arm to reach to the side / behind me.

Last year I ordered (and returned) a Kestrel size 2 as i found it too difficult to reach to clip biner to LB loop.

I see the kite is supposed to have more distance to LB loops than Kestrel.

I am not in a rush, but if the kite 2 or mantis XL had sufficiently longer distance to LB loops, I would plan on upgrading my SD / RC.

Can anyone provide actual measurements from the ends of LB loops for the saddles mentioned in the title? Respectfully, I am not interested in anything other than hard data. Speculation or “you won’t regret it” do nothing to provide me with data for a purchase decision.

Much appreciated for input.
I don't have one. Maybe Tony or someone else can help you out.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I would be glad to help. As soon as I get home this evening, I'll get some measurements for you. My 2 year old has tumbling class right after work, so it'll be 6:30ish before I'm able to do so. Sorry about the delay.

I would be glad to help. As soon as I get home this evening, I'll get some measurements for you. My 2 year old has tumbling class right after work, so it'll be 6:30ish before I'm able to do so. Sorry about the delay.

Take your time. I would not order until at least after you guys get caught up with current purchases. I can still rock the SD until a viable commercial option becomes available.

Thanks.

Take your time. I would not order until at least after you guys get caught up with current purchases. I can still rock the SD until a viable commercial option becomes available.
Thanks.
I figured this measurement would allow you to see where the lineman's belt loops would sit on your body. My idea was to measure a length of cordage or strap and wrap it around your back at the height you'll wear your saddle waist belt. Thus, you can see how it actually fits you, personally.
(I got 32" from outside to outside of LB loops.) I hope this helps. If you need anything else, at all, just say the word.20180912_185500.jpg

Thanks Tony. It helps. I just measured my LB on my RC harness and I am at 34.5”. I wear the RC harness just above my hip bones. Right arm only goes back so far for me. Maybe it would work after shoulder replacement surgery (which I putting off as long as I can).

Here’s an idea / thought for a future iteration of the Mantis. Maybe make a channel through the waist band so one can fish through 1” climb spec tubular webbing and make their own custom length LB. just a thought.

Now time to look at your platforms.

Again, thanks!

Thanks Tony. It helps. I just measured my LB on my RC harness and I am at 34.5”. I wear the RC harness just above my hip bones. Right arm only goes back so far for me. Maybe it would work after shoulder replacement surgery (which I putting off as long as I can).

Here’s an idea / thought for a future iteration of the Mantis. Maybe make a channel through the waist band so one can fish through 1” climb spec tubular webbing and make their own custom length LB. just a thought.

Now time to look at your platforms.

Again, thanks!
One more photo for you.
For reference: I wear 38-40 waist pants. I thought this might give you a better idea of where they fall when in use. Let me know if I can help in any other way.20180914_124630-1.jpg

Last edited:
One more photo for you.
For reference: I wear 38-40 waist pants. I thought this might give you a better idea of where they fall when in use. Let me know if I can help in any other way.View attachment 6317

Thanks Tony. I am a 42waist, but my right arm does not reach back far enough. I am contemplating the idea of adding length with 1” tubular webbing (just an inch or two on each side) on a mantis, but want to research safety implications on that, I can make do with the sit drag for now. Maybe later season after all orders are fulfilled, I’ll hit you guys up on a mantis.

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to sell some stuff to afford a predator platform. Just rough estimate, is there a run on / backlog on the platforms?

Thanks!

Thanks Tony. I am a 42waist, but my right arm does not reach back far enough. I am contemplating the idea of adding length with 1” tubular webbing (just an inch or two on each side) on a mantis, but want to research safety implications on that, I can make do with the sit drag for now. Maybe later season after all orders are fulfilled, I’ll hit you guys up on a mantis.

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to sell some stuff to afford a predator platform. Just rough estimate, is there a run on / backlog on the platforms?

Thanks!
Why do you need to add length? Linesman belt only needs to be detached from one side. If your left arm works well detach from left side.

Why do you need to add length? Linesman belt only needs to be detached from one side. If your left arm works well detach from left side.

I have two ropes when I cross over branches, so I will not be able to get by without needing to hook up to my right loop (second LB) while the saddle is being worn.

Thanks for your input and thoughts. It’s all good. I’ll find a way around it.

As far as the Mantis goes, I think you may find the bridge loops ideally spaced for use as lineman's belt attachment points. They are farther forward, and would be more easily reached with reduced mobility. Just a thought. I don't work for Tethrd, I just want to help people realize more hunting opportunities. I honestly believe the Mantis would make most hunters more mobile, and more comfortable for longer and more sits. Thus, it creates more oppirtunities. Just my opinion. I'm no expert, by any means.

I have two ropes when I cross over branches, so I will not be able to get by without needing to hook up to my right loop (second LB) while the saddle is being worn.

Thanks for your input and thoughts. It’s all good. I’ll find a way around it.
Seems like you could just add a permanent loop to the linesman loop using 11mm or so rope. Not sure if that would be unsafe if you tied with a double fisherman knot. Seems to me that would work.

Seems like you could just add a permanent loop to the linesman loop using 11mm or so rope. Not sure if that would be unsafe if you tied with a double fisherman knot. Seems to me that would work.

I was thinking similar, but using tubular climb spec webbing (like I use on my LB I added to my RC harness. Thanks!

Back