• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Clone!!!!

SwampHunter70068

Ok well it's all but finished (photos to come soon). After 3 weeks of work (on my off days from work) and having to refresh my memory on how to use a sewing machine, it's finished. Used some Realtree canvas I purchased a few years ago and never got around to actually using, scavenged straps from various places (old fall harness, tubular webbing from my old fire department days, etc.), and after trial and error......it's done....it have not tested YET.....waiting on some 7mm static kermantel rope for my prusic knots (don't like mechanical prusic's.....)......I didn't add Molle to the saddle, but I did add two carabiner straps.....everything was stitched together using upholstery thread (used 2 1/2 bobbins of thread) and re-enforced all stitches and then re-enforced those....

I an assembling all my ropes as we speak......tether, bridge, lines mans rope......

I am thinking on incorporating a hasty tubular webbing harness and a safety backup.....I have a fall rope I'd like to use with this....I'm not trying to make my wife a widow.....

I'm having to do all this on a mega budget, so next step is figuring out what to do for a platform and how to get up the tree......tree screw steps seem to be the best price wise but public land kinda frowns on that.....sticks are not really in my budget right now.....was thinking of building my own ring platform (I have a welder and such).......any ideas???

One of the unwritten rules here at Saddlehunter is all DIY undertakings must be photographed and shared pronto.....................................................
............................Or, well you know, IT DIDNT HAPPEN!;)

One of the unwritten rules here at Saddlehunter is all DIY undertakings must be photographed and shared pronto.....................................................
............................Or, well you know, IT DIDNT HAPPEN!;)

Pronto ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you weld aluminum? I’ve got a set of diy sticks that cost about 30.00 -40.00 or so in material if I remember correctly.

Can you weld aluminum? I’ve got a set of diy sticks that cost about 30.00 -40.00 or so in material if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately no I can’t weld aluminum, steel only....but I can bolt and pin it....I’d love if you can share how you did it.

Using the same tubing and step material all the DIY threads that bolt them together are using, but 1/4" flat bar on the steps. We then run a piece of 1/4" round bar across the top to add some strength and it actually goes through hole in the square tubing if I remember correctly. My buddies bend theirs up to keep their boot on, i'm scared of that point so I cut mine off. Then we weld a "cleat" to attach the rope - I have a picture of that. No machine time on ours - all was cut with table saw and jigsaw.

IMG_0489.JPG

I honestly don't really use them anymore - I'm usually using one muddy stick with versa button and aider, or my jim stepps. They might get dusted off this season.

Using the same tubing and step material all the DIY threads that bolt them together are using, but 1/4" flat bar on the steps. We then run a piece of 1/4" round bar across the top to add some strength and it actually goes through hole in the square tubing if I remember correctly. My buddies bend theirs up to keep their boot on, i'm scared of that point so I cut mine off. Then we weld a "cleat" to attach the rope - I have a picture of that. No machine time on ours - all was cut with table saw and jigsaw.

View attachment 5732

I honestly don't really use them anymore - I'm usually using one muddy stick with versa button and aider, or my jim stepps. They might get dusted off this season.

I mean I could def make a set but do I want to pack in the extra weight.....I am super considering climbing spurs to be honest.

Unfortunately no I can’t weld aluminum, steel only....but I can bolt and pin it....I’d love if you can share how you did it.

So I will be posting picture soon....work has been keeping me busy this week and I only have tomorrow off and want to spend time with me son on Sunday because he ships to Ft Benning on Monday......tried to talk him out of infantry and to follow ole dads footsteps and take up artillery but he wasn’t having it.....so I basically lost my hunting partner for most this coming season as he won’t be back until January sometime.....

Back