• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel doesn’t quite fit

HuntJaxx

My son has been chomping at the bit to get in a saddle. We tried and it’s gonna be a while until we can get him in the tree!860C2D6F-CCBF-4015-B166-4150893CE75F.jpeg

My son is still too young to saddle hunt but he’s not far off. Sure hope one of the saddle makers comes out with something for kids.

My son is still too young to saddle hunt but he’s not far off. Sure hope one of the saddle makers comes out with something for kids.

We’ve been trying to figure out how to modify a current saddle, or come up with something else DIY that could work. Might be an opportunity there for the right guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put him in a child’s tree climbing harness. Something like this then either a sitdrag or a pretzel work seat. Keep him tied to the tree with a tether to belay look at all times. Even climbing you could use a safety line and a Prussic or ropeman for him to push up the tree. You could do this with presets or not as long as you climb first and set the rope for him
http://www.wesspur.com/items/sad542.html

Put him in a child’s tree climbing harness. Something like this then either a sitdrag or a pretzel work seat. Keep him tied to the tree with a tether to belay look at all times. Even climbing you could use a safety line and a Prussic or ropeman for him to push up the tree. You could do this with presets or not as long as you climb first and set the rope for him
http://www.wesspur.com/items/sad542.html

I like where you’re going with that. We were thinking that the sitdrag would be a good option, but hadn’t got to climbing harness yet. I’m still new to all this so it’s a huge learning curve. He wants to hunt from the trees but we aren’t comfortable with anything other than saddles; especially for a kid his size.

I like where you’re going with that. We were thinking that the sitdrag would be a good option, but hadn’t got to climbing harness yet. I’m still new to all this so it’s a huge learning curve. He wants to hunt from the trees but we aren’t comfortable with anything other than saddles; especially for a kid his size.

You don’t have to use a sitdrag heck buy a small Mantis. He will be able to use it for many years when he out grows the kids harness he will be able to just use the Mantis.
Those tree saddles for kids are comfortable and have padded leg supports
You could easily climb the tree first hook a life line for him. He could hook in to the life line start pushing the ropeman while climbing up and it would be his tether once at height.
Heck you could climb down and follow him back up if it made you feel better.

Super easy and super safe.

Once at height he would probably want something to sit in like a Mantis, sitdrag or Bosun chair.

Back