• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Flex, Merlin, Cruzr XC

Markeje

I just have to share because I'm happy as a fly on ****!
I've been using the kestrel flex for the last 2 seasons. Love it. However, I wanted to try some other saddles.
I ordered a Merlin long ago. It came in a while back and in just 5 minutes in the back yard I knew it was a no go. Hip pinch and too many loops. It was nothing like my KF.
Sold it.
Got the Cruzr XC today and in 1 minute I was as comfortable, if not a tad more comfortable than even my KF! L Its definitely lighter. Built well and the pleat stays closed!
Only negative and an equal positive is that its not as warm as the kestrel, BUT not as hot either. Absolutely love this saddle.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What size merlin and what waist size are you? Did you sell the merlin?

KF 2, merlin 3 and cruzr 3 in size.
Sold Merlin. Keeping KF & Cruzr.
37-38 waist 210lbs.

Just got my Merlin yesterday. First glance it looks amazing. Great craftsmanship. Sat in it for a lil over an hour dialing it in to my comfort and walked around my property in the dark. One thing I did notice is there is a lot more fiddle factor with this one. Took me a long time to get comfortable.

Bos was right.... the support webbing needs to be 2 in seatbelt. Linesman loops need to be a lil further back and bigger. Secondary leg loops are useless. Bridge loop Seems to be aight. The tubular webbing bridge doesn’t slide as well as amsteel. I can feel the pleat when I sit which to me says not enough edge support due to the 1in tubular webbing structure support. The waist band does ride up because it is not actually part of the saddle support structure even when tightened down good. Heavy Buckles and Tubular webbing everywhere are a little overkill but most wont care. All in all I think the old flex is more comfortable. Was actually easier to get more comfortable in my phantom.

I’ll give it more time in the tree before giving my lasting impression.

Very accurate description of the Merlin.
They simply missed the boat and lost what made the KF such a great saddle.

Only other 1 I want to get mybhands on is a TX5. Just have to not miss a chance to order on that one.

Yeah I sat in front of the PC after their last announcement for new orders and still missed. Think they only take around 10 orders every few weeks. TX5 looks very nice

Back