• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel mods

Steve

OK lets hear about some mods that I know some of you have already done, or plan to do.

Stealth strip the buckles.

Get some mud on it to take away the any sheen

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree. The buckles definitely need some silencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to a fixed length bridge, stealth strip buckles and added my dump pouch to the side for my tether and lineman's belt.

I used skinny Amsteel on my Hammock Sling but I was backed up to a harness so it doesn't count :)

The Kestrel is small enough for me as is.

I'm sick and haven't had time to mess with it... but I am going to rig up a small hammock sling as a back band. It will be tiny and weigh almost nothing. I'll post it up when I can

Haven't got mine yet, but plan on simplify it as much as possible. First for me will be the fixed bridge. For the guys that have your saddle, is it a option to use a bike tube over the buckles like on lonewolf straps?

Haven't got mine yet, but plan on simplify it as much as possible. First for me will be the fixed bridge. For the guys that have your saddle, is it a option to use a bike tube over the buckles like on lonewolf straps?
You could, but it will make them harder to access.

The Predator rope inspires confidence. It isn't as soft as Yale Bandit and seems to have a sheath similar to HTP maybe. Kind of a middle ground...but knots better than HTP

Can't do it with skinny inner tube. But as Red said, they won't work well if covered. Yak grips just make the buckle non functional and huge.

But here's the thing...If you are wearing it, what is likely to hit the waist buckle? Probably nothing. On the leg buckles, running an auto block you would have a likely issue with a carabiner hitting the buckle. But the leg straps are to be run relatively snug. I haven't gotten to rappel in my Kestrel yet,

I am going to try using a thick sock with a hole cut out.

Going to a fixed length bridge, stealth strip buckles and added my dump pouch to the side for my tether and lineman's belt.
That's the exact plan that I had in mind, but the dump bags are kind of noisy rubbing on the seat.

The Predator rope inspires confidence. It isn't as soft as Yale Bandit and seems to have a sheath similar to HTP maybe. Kind of a middle ground...but knots better than HTP
I notice all of the slight differences in the rope and materials we use. The predator rope seemed to have some stiffer spots within the roll. I will be letting them know this at Wes Spur.

Back