• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel or Kite?

Boog

After reading the thread on Kestrel vs. Mantis, I think the Kestrel is for me. With one season in a very comfortable fleece saddle under my belt, I'm wondering if the mesh Kite might be more stretchy (and, therefore, more comfortable) than the cordura Kestrel. I'd appreciate any input from those who've tried both. I'm not concerned about weight since I prefer packing my saddle to the stand instead of wearing it.

I’ve spent considerable time in a kestrel and mantis. Only about 30 minutes in the kite. I will get to spend more time in a kit though since I ordered one. I always packed my kestrel in. After getting the mantis it was awesome just being able to wear it in. I’m hoping the kite will work the same way.

New saddle guy here, so no real hunting experience with any saddle. But I got the Kite with the raptor/cobra/whatever buckles just for ease of use in heavier clothing. Always wore my rock harness into the woods, planning o the same with a saddle. Might try the Mantis once I'm done buying all the other stuff, lol!!!

@Adrena123 or @Stan4694 may be able to chime in but I sat in both of theirs in a size 2 and they are both extremely comfortable for me I really could not tell much difference. Once they are on your body you really cant even tell the difference in the weight...

Leg straps and buckles can be changed out if you have a preference of one style over the other... I went with the Kite only because it is a tad bit lighter if I choose not to wear it in, I would have been perfectly happy with either though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I sold my kestrel & got a kite last year. I was expecting a big difference & there isn’t one. I didn’t really notice the weight b/c you’re wearing it. The mesh doesn’t give much. I liked the waist buckle on the kestrel better & think the leg buckles were bulky & unnecessary. I did not like the stock kite buckle & immediately replaced it, left the leg buckles & never touch them ( don’t mind stepping through, it’s a great chance to quickly inspect everything before I get it buckled up) I think now with multiple buckle options for both I’d lean towards a new kestrel I like the structure & firmness of the cordura. ( I do not prefer any additional bulk on the leg straps they are for positioning only)

Kestrel here too. It just feels better to me . Not really sure why so I know its not much help to you. The Kestrel cups my backside .I feel like the mesh has a little too much give . Either way wearing mesh here in the winter and being in New England it would be like to showing up to shovel snow wearing a speedo. BRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Kestrel here too. It just feels better to me . Not really sure why so I know its not much help to you. The Kestrel cups my backside .I feel like the mesh has a little too much give . Either way wearing mesh here in the winter and being in New England it would be like to showing up to shovel snow wearing a speedo. BRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Hey real quick, do you think there is actually a difference b/w warmth of the cordura over mesh...? Having cold sits in both , I didn’t see any difference. I’m dressed for the cold either way, btw my extremities get cold not my butt. I used my hbs w/kite last year maybe tiny advantage of less bulk inside the suit. Not trying to hijack the thread.....

Yes I do feel there is a difference. When you sit you compress the loft in whatever you are wearing. Granted the wind won`t pass through your clothing but a solid membrane like the Kestrel does prevent most cold wind from getting to a warm backside. Definitely warmer . I would use the mesh if I was in another area I guess. Not here though. Good luck. It`s a personal choice . All the saddles are built for adjustments and DIY guyz can make anything better.

Yes I do feel there is a difference. When you sit you compress the loft in whatever you are wearing. Granted the wind won`t pass through your clothing but a solid membrane like the Kestrel does prevent most cold wind from getting to a warm backside. Definitely warmer . I would use the mesh if I was in another area I guess. Not here though. Good luck. It`s a personal choice . All the saddles are built for adjustments and DIY guyz can make anything better.
Going ro use my Tethrd SBW with my Kite for this reason when it gets cold.

Back