• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Questions

Bigshootnsuly

Spending some quality time in my hanging tree before the football games start. A few things I have thought of now after practicing for a few months (first time saddle hunter)

1. Does anyone do something special with their excess tether rope? I feel it is very long but doesn’t seem to get in the way.

2. Sub question from #1. Are people wrapping the tether rope around the tree twice? I have had it slide just a little when first putting weight on it on smooth bark trees.

7a8c74177f7759f1ca82644ecffb25de.heic

39a57e6a51ded1e607511ae7e748e3f6.jpg

3. How about the extra lineman’s belt rope? I have been climbing my bolts and had the end with knot snag under bolt and foot a few times now. Are people cutting their lineman’s belts shorter than the stock length?

4. Saddle butt break in period. I seem to get a little saddle pinch on my right side only and I have that adjustment more loose than the left side. Of course if I tighten in more to match my left it get me worse. Thoughts? Does it have to do with where my tether rope is hanging down in conjunction with my predator?

5. I have most things figured out on packing in and setting up but still unsure about getting my predator up the tree. If I leave my bow on ground with Doyle’s bear hoist attached I still need my backpack and predator to come up. I of course can attach predator to backpack or out it in that. Second pull rope? Anyone wearing backpack up with saddle on while climbing?

I better climb down from the tree now or my thoughts won’t stop. Any and all tips, tricks and advice are appreciated.

P.S. yes I didn’t dare wear my camo crocs for the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I tuck it back up into the carabiner I use in place of a figure 8 bight (note that the safety of this practice due to side-loading has been questioned, but I am comfortable with it). Regardless I think you can tuck the excess into the loop on the rope.

2. I wrap twice if I have enough rope, on larger trees I thread the rope through the biner twice.

3. Never really had that issue, but I suppose you could tuck it into some kind of pouch.

4. It is often recommended to play around with bridge length and tether height to alleviate hip pinch, although it is not something I've really experienced and run a system that is pure leaner and pinching seems to afflict the sitter style more. Also just playing around with where the saddle sits in relation to my waist I find has a lot of varying comfort implications.

5. I wear my backpack while climbing and attach the platform to that with a biner on a molle loop and strap it down to avoid sounds.

Last edited:
Back