• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel sizing question

MOHUNT

I am planning on ordering a Kestrel but I am unsure what size to order. I am around a 34" waist. I know they say size 1 fits waist 26" to 36". Is size 1 the right choice for me even if a lot of my hunting will be done in cold temps where I will be bundled up, expanding my waist size? Does the sizing account for bulky hunting clothing? If there is already a thread addressing this, just point me in the right direction, please. Thanks!

I personally say you should go bigger. I felt like I was always wishing I could pull it up alittle higher in my back and alittle lower down my legs. Last season I was about 250 and a 40 in waist in a size 2. So I am going with and extra large mantis even though I have lost 35+ lbs and back in a size 36 pants.

Thanks for the input! After some more digging I found this on their FAQ section:

What size Aero Hunter should I get? Should I choose the larger size Aero saddle to fit over my bulky winter clothes?
It’s simple to choose size for your Aero Hunter saddle. Choose your size according to your pants waist size. The waist belt of the saddle is adjustable to allow for any type of clothing you might use in the field. Here is the range for each size:

Size 1–Pants waist size up to 36″

Size 2–Pants waist size 37″ to 46″

If your size fluctuates around 36″-37″, choose Size 2. This is usually the best choice for people in the middle. If you find that size 2 is too large, you can return it to exchange for size 1. We can accept the return within 30 days if your original Aero Hunter saddle is in the same new condition as when you received it.

I'm still unsure and wish I could try both before deciding.

Thanks for the input! After some more digging I found this on their FAQ section:

What size Aero Hunter should I get? Should I choose the larger size Aero saddle to fit over my bulky winter clothes?
It’s simple to choose size for your Aero Hunter saddle. Choose your size according to your pants waist size. The waist belt of the saddle is adjustable to allow for any type of clothing you might use in the field. Here is the range for each size:

Size 1–Pants waist size up to 36″

Size 2–Pants waist size 37″ to 46″

If your size fluctuates around 36″-37″, choose Size 2. This is usually the best choice for people in the middle. If you find that size 2 is too large, you can return it to exchange for size 1. We can accept the return within 30 days if your original Aero Hunter saddle is in the same new condition as when you received it.

I'm still unsure and wish I could try both before deciding.

I am 6' tall, 190lbs and wear a 34" pant. I have the Kestrel size 1 and it is adequate but, I wish I would have ordered the size 2. There have been several people that are in-between sizes like us that have tried both and I think it is almost unanimous that the size 2 is better if you are borderline. I would definitely get the size 2 if I were you. If you think the size 2 is too big after you get it, I'll trade you.

I am 6' tall, 190lbs and wear a 34" pant. I have the Kestrel size 1 and it is adequate but, I wish I would have ordered the size 2. There have been several people that are in-between sizes like us that have tried both and I think it is almost unanimous that the size 2 is better if you are borderline. I would definitely get the size 2 if I were you. If you think the size 2 is too big after you get it, I'll trade you.
That’s a win/win right there!

Back