• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel surgery

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So I'm thinking about finally breaking down and cutting off my kestrel buckles and modifying it to have step through leg looks like on the trophyline. I'm going to see if my wife's Kenmore is up to the task, and have a speedy stitcher on standby. Any recommendations for cutting through the original stitching to "dissect" and redo the leg straps?

If you're going to do this I would use a razorblade to cut the stitches. I have done this a bunch of times on ameristeps. You can separate the webbing and cut the stiches in between and you can use the tip of the blade to pull stitches up and slice. Just go very slow so you don't catch the webbing. I would recommend only using the speedy stitcher to sew the straps back on, I think the stitches will be more reliable. That webbing is pretty heavy duty.

If you're going to do this I would use a razorblade to cut the stitches. I have done this a bunch of times on ameristeps. You can separate the webbing and cut the stiches in between and you can use the tip of the blade to pull stitches up and slice. Just go very slow so you don't catch the webbing. I would recommend only using the speedy stitcher to sew the straps back on, I think the stitches will be more reliable. That webbing is pretty heavy duty.
Makes sense. Do you think the thread that comes with the stitcher would work for the leg straps, or is there something at Wally World that would be acceptable instead? If it comes to it I can order something "proper" but I'd like to knock this little project out this weekend.

Makes sense. Do you think the thread that comes with the stitcher would work for the leg straps, or is there something at Wally World that would be acceptable instead? If it comes to it I can order something "proper" but I'd like to knock this little project out this weekend.
The thread that comes with it is awsome. It is very heavy duty waxed thread. I believe it is rated for 55# per stitch. I still put a boatload of stitches in there.

The thread that comes with it is awsome. It is very heavy duty waxed thread. I believe it is rated for 55# per stitch. I still put a boatload of stitches in there.
Ok. It looks like it's currently held on there with a box stitch. Duplicating that should be adequate I would think?

Kind of nervous, but I've thought long and hard about it and I think that it's going to be up to me to make my perfect saddle. I didn't want to hack it up until I was sure I wouldn't want to resell it later.

Ok. It looks like it's currently held on there with a box stitch. Duplicating that should be adequate I would think?
That's the standard so probably. Of course I can't advocate hacking it up... Just want to give you some input.

Been trying to find the thread strength of the SS thread. 55# per stitch meaning 27.5# of tensile strength?

You can replicate a box pattern but make sure you put enough stitches in.

So if you want it to hold over 2000# that is about 40 stitches at 55# per stitch.

Are the Kestrel leg straps even weight bearing?

Been trying to find the thread strength of the SS thread. 55# per stitch meaning 27.5# of tensile strength?

You can replicate a box pattern but make sure you put enough stitches in.

So if you want it to hold over 2000# that is about 40 stitches at 55# per stitch.

Are the Kestrel leg straps even weight bearing?
Not really. I think they could be removed pretty safely, but I like having them in the event something were to go south. I loosen my waist buckle a lot when hunting, and in the event of a tumble or losing consciousness I feel like they could come in handy. I really don't see how they could ever come under a major load, which is why I feel comfortable monkeying with them.

Honestly for something that simple, you could take it to an upholstery shop and for $20 they would sew it for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Honestly for something that simple, you could take it to an upholstery shop and for $20 they would sew it for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

These seem to be fewer and further between! Had trouble finding a place that would mod my sit drag. If only I knew about the Speedy Stitcher then!

Might I suggest a copy of "On Rope" has a section on stitching and the various strengths of each. There are stronger patterns than the typical box stitch.

I needed a full season to be sure I wanted to do it, but I was comfortable modifying them. If you encounter a situation where the leg straps are responsible for holding more than your body weight, you're probably in a world of hurt anyway. I kind of view them as locators - they keep the saddle on your butt so the it can do it's job.

I have a slightly different take on using a razor blade to cut the stitches...I use my fairly dull pocket knife. It's stiffer, and doesn't have a super sharp point. This gives me less risk of tearing up the webbing due to razor flexing or the sharp point, or my clumsy hands slipping. Be prepared to have your heart in your throat until your done cutting and have all the little thread pieces out. You'll breath a sigh of relief then. Go slow. It probably took me an hour to get all the threads cut and all the tiny pieces pulled out of the webbing. Another tip - take your lighter and melt any frays and loose fibers in the webbing by passing it across quickly. Don't overheat it for obvious reasons. Once you sew it back together It'll look like new. Also, I used a different color thread so I could keep track of my stitching, and I made sure to overlap all of the stock stitching to tie it all in. New Tribe does some real quality work - the stitching alone for the leg buckles was probably stronger than the webbing!

So after consulting my dearly beloved, I've gone ahead and began the operation. I elected to cut the female buckle strap flush with where it meets the saddle. I also cut the stitching that held the little elastic loop to get the maximum amount of leg strap to work with. I plan on "butting it up" against were the molle webbing strap starts. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. It should look pretty together, and I'll have enough room to put plenty of stitches in.

I was surprised that the leg straps were tubular webbing. Never noticed that. Also surprised that, as far as i can tell, they used plain ole cotton thread. Lots of it though.

For the curious, I lost a smooth 8oz. Down to 1lb 12oz with an amsteel bridge. Not why I did it, but I can't say I'm not pleased.

So I have a speedy stitcher. 40% off at Michael's. Quick question though, are you guys using the needle it comes with. That thing looks friggin' huge! As does the thread. I'm debating buying some 20lb spider wire and just going at it with a needle and thimble. The speedy stitcher looks like it's going to make huge, Frankenstein's monster stitches on my saddle.

Any of you guys have pics of stuff you did with the stitcher?

So ended up going with a denim needle and some 25lb test spider wire. Probably 50+ stitches on each strap. Will most likely add another row down the middle for good measure, but I need a break from the not-so-speedy stitcher for now. No regrets so far. It's lighter, quieter, and simpler. At some point I'm going to take apart the male end of buckle and stealth strip it. That'll take care of everything "wrong" with it from last year's journal notes. Just in time for September.
de8ed94dcde1a0f769982f8a46195a55.jpg
b5718c8f6ccdfd6080445a329a979f45.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

So ended up going with a denim needle and some 25lb test spider wire. Probably 50+ stitches on each strap.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

So you shoved a denim sewing machine needle in the SS? Think I will try that too for my finer work.

Back