• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel vs Sit Drag

mbucks27

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to saddle hunting and ordered a sit drag to try out. Got everything setup but i just cant get comfortable in it. I feel like there is just not enough fabric to sit comfortably. I just wondered how much better the kestrel actually is compared to sit drag. It looks like it has a lot more fabric to sit on and would prob be a lot better. any input would be greatly appreciated. i really like the idea of the saddle and will probably end up ordering the real one soon.

I have limited use with my sit drag. I have only used it in the ground to sit & lean. I am turning it it into a back up saddle. With limited use of the kestrel I have the kestrel to be much more comfortable.

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to saddle hunting and ordered a sit drag to try out. Got everything setup but i just cant get comfortable in it. I feel like there is just not enough fabric to sit comfortably. I just wondered how much better the kestrel actually is compared to sit drag. It looks like it has a lot more fabric to sit on and would prob be a lot better. any input would be greatly appreciated. i really like the idea of the saddle and will probably end up ordering the real one soon.
The kestrel will be much more comfortable than a sit drag. I never could get comfortable in the sit drag for the reasons you stated.

Agreed. I like the saddle to cup my butt cheeks. Sit drag was never there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys this is what i figured. Will probably end up ordering the Kestrel soon and use sit drag as a backup.

A lot of bigger guys don't find the SitDrag to be very comfortable. On the other hand, a lot of saddle hunters find it extremely comfortable. I find it so comfortable that I never upgraded to a Kestrel. But a Kestrel is exactly that...a big upgrade. It's safer and has more options than a SitDrag. A SitDrag is not what I'd recommend to a new saddle user.

However, a SD can be EXTREMELY comfortable depending on your body type and saddle shape.

The Kestrel is way better than the sit drag. Free promotion for New Tribes...
The Kestrel is more comfortable, safer and really not does not weigh much more IMO.
A Kestrel with an amsteel bridge is 2.5 pounds - no linemans belt or tether.
A Sitdrag with a good rock climbing harness will save a bit more than a pound not a big deal
I have tried a sit drag and hated it.

Cost of a sit drag and a good climbing harness will save a bit of money and this is the only advantage I can see.

Thanks guys this is what i figured. Will probably end up ordering the Kestrel soon and use sit drag as a backup.
That is a good plan. I don't know of anyone on here who sold there Kestrel to go back to a sit drag.

Another thing to consider is that the sit drag is really best for someone who is primarily a leaner. Sitters will always prefer the Kestrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im 6' 185lbs so i would consider myself average. Its not that i wouldn't be able to use it for shorter hunts. I just find myself while practicing always trying to get to the point where i could be comfortable and sit or lean for hours. love the idea though of being light and mobile. I hunt in some mountainous areas and not having to carrying a stand in with me will be huge. im planning on 4 muddy sticks with two screw in steps on each side of tree. Have also tested the hand climber top as a platform but i feel like that really takes away from the minimalist part of saddle hunting.

im 6' 185lbs so i would consider myself average. Its not that i wouldn't be able to use it for shorter hunts. I just find myself while practicing always trying to get to the point where i could be comfortable and sit or lean for hours. love the idea though of being light and mobile. I hunt in some mountainous areas and not having to carrying a stand in with me will be huge. im planning on 4 muddy sticks with two screw in steps on each side of tree. Have also tested the hand climber top as a platform but i feel like that really takes away from the minimalist part of saddle hunting.

I would bet your tying in to you tether to high lower it. If your using a harness it won’t be as comfortable either. The straps will cause hot spots.
I am a huge sit drag fan. I sat in a size 1 kestrel and you couldn’t give me one or force me to use it. I now have a size 2 Kestrel it is more comfortable than the size 1 by a long shot. I haven’t sat in it for long periods yet. To say it’s a huge up grade for comfort simply isn’t true. To say it’s a huge upgrade because it’s made better is true. Without a doubt.
I cannot wait to spend more quality time in my Kestrel. So I can give a better opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks that like the Kestrel, is it worth getting their tether, bridge and lineman's belt for the extra $100? I am leaning towards "not" since I already have some ropes and carabiners from my climbing days.

Folks that like the Kestrel, is it worth getting their tether, bridge and lineman's belt for the extra $100? I am leaning towards "not" since I already have some ropes and carabiners from my climbing days.
If you have the rope and carabiners spend the money on two ropeman ones. The knots are not rocket science and the kestrel comes with a bridge.

That is a good plan. I don't know of anyone on here who sold there Kestrel to go back to a sit drag.

I’m considering it. I miss the packability and lightness of my sit drag clone. Made a few fleece saddles but haven’t found the cut that I want just yet but I’m close. Kestrel is over built in my opinion. I felt like I pulled a brick out of the box when it came in but it was actually a lot more refined than my original aerohunter. I was just use to hunting with my sitdrag clone all year. I feel safer in it but I was comfortable in both. Think it would be a lot more comfortable with the size two but then I’m adding more bulk again. My reasoning for going to the kestrel from my sitdrag clone was to have an all in one unit shrinking my bulk down. It didn’t do that.

Oh and I’m a sitter and a leaner.

Last edited:
sit drag 2.JPG sit drag.JPG I had the same issue with my original sit/drag. I added a one inch piece of foam to it that was around 16 inches wide and it helped but it still pinched my hips. I then made a sit/drag from scratch using basically two pieces of fabric sandwiching seat belt material and one inch foam. I also lengthened it a few inches on each side. The result was night and day. My homemade sit/drag is about 10x more comfortable than the original. Here are some pics of what I did. I have now made a third that is even more comfortable. I also added a padded back rest. It is almost as comfortable as my summit viper climber.

View attachment 4507 View attachment 4508 I had the same issue with my original sit/drag. I added a one inch piece of foam to it that was around 16 inches wide and it helped but it still pinched my hips. I then made a sit/drag from scratch using basically two pieces of fabric sandwiching seat belt material and one inch foam. I also lengthened it a few inches on each side. The result was night and day. My homemade sit/drag is about 10x more comfortable than the original. Here are some pics of what I did. I have now made a third that is even more comfortable. I also added a padded back rest. It is almost as comfortable as my summit viper climber.

That looks awesome. Looks very comfortable.

I like my sit-drag a lot more after i learned to adjust the tether height. This site and g2 videos have helped me with it! Man,if one more person recommends the kestrel i'm gonna get one.

Last edited:
Back