• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kettlebell Mile Challenge

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Started down this road myself a month ago, and wanted to see if anybody else would like to subject themselves to suck during the off season. :)

Details are here.

TLDR is you take a 24kg kettlebell and suitcase-carry it for 1 mile. Complete in under 15 minutes. Swap hands as often as you like. Super simple and straightforward....and about the most grueling exercise I've put myself through that isn't stair-running.

I've been building up to 24kg for a month now. My track I can walk is 1.55 miles, and I "comfortably" did it with a 16kg weight Monday. Decided to jump straight into a 24 instead of picking up a 20 today. Didn't help that I did it after a shift at my temporary part-time job unloading freight out of an 18-wheeler, during the middle of the day, in 84 degree Abalammer heat. No chalk or gloves either so that sumbeech was slippier than a catfish soaked in motor oil.

I made the full 1.55 miles at a 29 minute pace. Goal is 15 minutes before deer season hits and I quit exercising for the year.

If you try it and you've never done it before, be prepared for sore forearms and core/stabilizer muscles, and to generally feel run-down when you get up the next day.

I fully admit that I couldn't suitcase-carry it the full 1.55 miles. About a half mile in I switched to whatever worked. Goblet and rack-carry initially, and then at around the halfway point I was swapping each shoulder I rested it on and stopping at a park bench every couple of hundred yards.

I think my "plan" to get to under 15 minutes with proper carry the whole time is to incorporate a little bit of running for pace and try some longer/slower walks with the 16kg to build endurance. Mainly grip strength.

I feel like if I can complete this challenge I'll be able to wreck a set of channel-lock pliers with my grip and breeze through duck season. ;)

Dude, just try walking a mile in 15mins….my cardiovascular will support but my hips and legs can’t manage it….15:45 is smokin in my book.

We’ve been doing 2 miles and I’ve got 50lbs of sand in my MR Pop Up. Going from sea level to top of a couple pros in the Rockies in a few months and I’m scared I won’t make it to the top! And that’s just for vacation……I didn’t pick it but whatever.

The kettlebell carry is interesting. I’ve tweaked my back before carrying on one side so be careful. Would definitely work different muscles!!!

I only have 1 10# kb, so may try it one evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By suitcase do you mean holding it by your side?
By 24kg do you mean about fitty lbs?
Can you split the weight and carry 1/2 in each hand?
You’re going to kill someone or give them an heat stroke out there doing this going into summer. Especially in LA.
Is the challenge the time with the weight or time with the weight plus the grip. Seems more practical to get pack set up and just go for it. The only thing you’re doing with carrying it by hand is arm strength which seems less relevant.

By suitcase do you mean holding it by your side?
By 24kg do you mean about fitty lbs?
Can you split the weight and carry 1/2 in each hand?
You’re going to kill someone or give them an heat stroke out there doing this going into summer. Especially in LA.
Is the challenge the time with the weight or time with the weight plus the grip. Seems more practical to get pack set up and just go for it. The only thing you’re doing with carrying it by hand is arm strength which seems less relevant.
Do it and see. :)

If you read the link, the idea is an exercise that is a balance of strength/cardio/endurance. And a bit of willpower. Arm strength is a very small part of it with the grip, aside from your forearms. You're mainly torching your stabilizer muscles in your core, back, and hip.

It's definitely not something to jump into cold. I started a month ago with 10lbs and attention to form. But I'm not in good shape aside from being 15 minute mile walk capable due to lots of rambling, and this is completely doable.

If your doing 15min miles, you must have that hippy-hippy shake down pat! It takes a concerted effort to WALK at a 15 min pace and some kinda form modification to get below it, I’m convinced! My almost 70yr old aunt does it in like 12mins….no clue how…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fat and out of shape. Hiking around miles at a time on our relatively flat ground is no problem. I don't think a 15 minute mile is a big deal on easy terrain. But Holy cow! One hand a 52 pounder for a mile! In 15 minutes!? Talk to me again when I've been drinking lol. Not sure I'm interested sober, but I was intrigued at first

that link was way too long to say 15 minute mile with 50 lbs

I think grip strength would be the limiting factor for me. I kind of want to cold Turkey try it and see if I can stomach 15 minutes. What do we win if we hit the goal?

Man I’ll give that a shot. I’ve been rucking with one for awhile now, suitcase sounds interesting. Only if it’s sufficiently crappy tho. I gotta feel like I hate life whilst doing it.

Y'all can do it however you want. If you wanna lie/cheat about an internet fitness and tough-guy challenge...

I just double-checked to make sure I wasn't full of it. Took my dog for a walk. Covered 0.96 miles in 13 minutes and change. And that's after unloading half an 18-wheeler full of boxes, carrying 53lbs 1.5 miles, and then walking another 3 miles as a cool-down. It's a good clip for me, but that's with a pretty good hill for this area that I have to go up and then down.

Full disclosure, I'm 6ft even with a 34ish inch inseam and only just now 30. No sports injuries or known physical medical issues.

@gcr0003, I would imagine grip strength would definitely be the limiting factor for you. You're lanky enough that the pace isn't an issue and young enough that the weight itself isn't an issue. 53lbs carried off-balance is definitely a completely different animal than a 50lb pack or 2, 25lb dumbbells, but for 15 minutes it's doable. My time was so long mainly because after the first half mile my grip strength was completely spent. I think with a rest, some chalk, and an early (cool) morning, I'm already really close to being able to do it.

Some freaks report doing it in under 9 minutes. I can't fathom running with the damn thing.

No thank you is the most polite response I can muster. I've carried 5 gallon buckets enough to know only carrying one bucket is for the birds. I would rather use two kettlebells than risk tweaking my back trying to swap hands on the fly while maintaining a pace. I'm sure it's good core exercise, but I don't want to see a chiropractor or surgeon any time soon

Y'all can do it however you want. If you wanna lie/cheat about an internet fitness and tough-guy challenge...

I just double-checked to make sure I wasn't full of it. Took my dog for a walk. Covered 0.96 miles in 13 minutes and change. And that's after unloading half an 18-wheeler full of boxes, carrying 53lbs 1.5 miles, and then walking another 3 miles as a cool-down. It's a good clip for me, but that's with a pretty good hill for this area that I have to go up and then down.

Full disclosure, I'm 6ft even with a 34ish inch inseam and only just now 30. No sports injuries or known physical medical issues.

@gcr0003, I would imagine grip strength would definitely be the limiting factor for you. You're lanky enough that the pace isn't an issue and young enough that the weight itself isn't an issue. 53lbs carried off-balance is definitely a completely different animal than a 50lb pack or 2, 25lb dumbbells, but for 15 minutes it's doable. My time was so long mainly because after the first half mile my grip strength was completely spent. I think with a rest, some chalk, and an early (cool) morning, I'm already really close to being able to do it.

Some freaks report doing it in under 9 minutes. I can't fathom running with the damn thing.
The proof would be for the naysayers when I complete it the first time, not because I would cheat.

No thank you is the most polite response I can muster. I've carried 5 gallon buckets enough to know only carrying one bucket is for the birds. I would rather use two kettlebells than risk tweaking my back trying to swap hands on the fly while maintaining a pace. I'm sure it's good core exercise, but I don't want to see a chiropractor or surgeon any time soon
Facts

For folks wondering why I picked on this as an exercise, I'm very lazy. I don't like running. I don't live near a gym. I don't have room for gym equipment. I like to walk. I don't have loads of time with a kid on the way.

Suitcase carries supposedly hit:

• rectus abdominis
  • transverse abdominis
  • spinal erectors
  • quadriceps
  • calves
  • glutes
  • hamstrings
  • hip flexors
  • shoulders
  • triceps
  • forearms
  • hands
Your 5 largest muscles are your glutes, your quads, your lats, your hamstrings, and your pecs. This exercise hits 3 out of 5 and gives you decent cardio, and you only have to do one "thing." I've got a pullup bar, so with chin/pullups and some pushups you can hit your whole body with minimum thought/effort/time.

Hey this sounds like something I want to try. Had a kid this last year and put on a little weight. Been trying to get back into running and losing some weight but need some extra motivation. I don't have a kettle ball but I'll see if I can't borrow or buy a couple.

Back