• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kids in the saddle?

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
My daughter (15yrs old) sometimes hunts with me and we've always used ground blinds or tree stands. This will be my first year in a saddle, but I want to start getting her ready to saddle hunt at some point too. I can just picture her up in a tree in late December hunting in a heater body suit swinging in her saddle :)

For tree stand hunting, we use either a double ladder stand or a pair of tree stands offset on the same tree. Might have to consider setting up on two trees next to each other (if they're close as I still like to be near her). Perhaps next year we could put some distance between us when she's 16.

Does anyone else get their kids up in a saddle and what have you tried that works?

Here she is at 11 with her first deer...
2014-10-04 11.06.01b.jpg

That pic was the following day after recovery. Normally she looks like this...
2017-10-07 17.58.32b.jpg

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
There are guys that double up in same tree. I think a wild edge platform would be perfect for 2 ppl. My 2 daughters love it. Only at home right now.
05679f67fe60360b18df798e4ebdb750.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
Perhaps on a larger tree we could double-up. That would help block our profile better. Its always fun with her, I try to say if it comes from the right its mine, if it comes from the left its yours. Her answer is always - if its a buck its mine, if its a doe its yours!
I think she got it figured out! Lol. What does she think of SH. If she is game, SEND IT!

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
I think she got it figured out! Lol. What does she think of SH. If she is game, SEND IT!

She's not sure what to think so far as I haven't received my Mantis yet and I'm still modding my Sit Drag. I'll have to get a smaller rock climbing harness and let her use the Sit Drag when my Mantis comes in. I think with the SloMo scooter platform we could hang two as they are so small. Already built one and have a second one ready to build. If it means we'll see more deer and can hunt in different areas better - she's all for it!

She does have a soft spot for hanging out in the blind with me (or is it the other way around)? Swinging side by side should still work.

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
She's not sure what to think so far as I haven't received my Mantis yet and I'm still modding my Sit Drag. I'll have to get a smaller rock climbing harness and let her use the Sit Drag when my Mantis comes in. I think with the SloMo scooter platform we could hang two as they are so small. Already built one and have a second one ready to build. If it means we'll see more deer and can hunt in different areas better - she's all for it!

She does have a soft spot for hanging out in the blind with me (or is it the other way around)? Swinging side by side should still work.
That should definitely work. Its good for u too, she can carry half the weight

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al
This is great. My son loves hanging in mine in the yard at ground level but it’s to big for me to feel safe with him higher. He will be 13 next month and dying to go bow hunting. I’ve been taking him to 3d shoots since he was 4 I believe. He is getting close to hunting poundage on his bow so I’m thinking he will bowhunt next year for sure. Still would love to be more mobile with him on gun hunts. Just need to figure out a gun rest for him up in a tree.

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
YES! I want a kid sized mantis please!!!

I want to take my daughter hunting but don’t have any tree stands and feel like hunting from a blind takes away a lot of the nature experience. Please make the kids mantis happen.

Reactions: ckossuth

mspooney

Aug 16, 2017
I bought my son, 15, a Kestral size 1. He used it last week in Colorado for the week hunting elk. There were no issues and I felt much better about him being in that than any of the other lock on, hang on, and ladderstands we have used in the past. Once they attach the tether they are secure. He loves it. I did get the ropeman, which makes things much easier for him on the linemans belt and the tether..

Jefferson10940

Staff member
Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 6, 2017
Yeah I too am interested in a youth sized saddle. Currently I did find a small ambush for my 13 year old son to shoot out of. He currently does not want to deer hunt....turkeys no problem.

SoILBowhunter

Aug 7, 2018
I’m definitely interested in a youth size Mantis. I have been taking my kids mostly in ground blinds and I am tired of it. I feel so limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowbender73

Sep 21, 2015
Youth size would be great!

With that said I’ve hunted several sits hanging my saddle behind a lock on that my kids are in. Works fairly well, but it’s got to be the right tree.
e260e4bd914f8d24af24f255c4ecd605.jpg

Reactions: Aksisu11

Cain

Nov 29, 2017
I shot my first saddle deer while hunting with my son. He was 9 years old. He was in a climber and I climbed under him and was able to set my ring of steps just below the bottom of his climber. It worked perfectly I was able to hang right beside him. Now he wants a saddle. When I get my new saddle he will graduate to my sit drag and RCH.